Blackhawk SERPA

This is a discussion on Blackhawk SERPA within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any actual knowledge on the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters? This one looks good and has level 2 retention. BLACKHAWK ! BlackHawk CQC SERPA ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk SERPA

Blackhawk SERPA

Anyone have any actual knowledge on the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters? This one looks good and has level 2 retention.

BLACKHAWK ! BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention - Carbon Fiber Finish

Also, does anyone know if the SERPA sportster has the detachable paddle so that the belt loop attachment can be used instead? The holster only comes with the paddle but the belt loop thingy is avail separately.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4135&C=C2092
    Last edited by Rob P.; October 4th, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Mag change

2. Remove Ads

I love mine for my Glock. The only thing - the tab at the bottom of the paddle is a pain when removing the holster - I just cut the tab off and a little sanding. You still have the tabs under the belt. The extended slide release on the Glock(if you use) will hang up on the holster. But a great holster.

I had one, but it wasn't good for CC as it stuck out too far. But it did look very sweet, if I were a LEO I'd use one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I agree with Paco. They are very good holsters, but difficult to conceal.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Anyone have any actual knowledge on the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters? This one looks bad a$$ and has level 2 retention.

BLACKHAWK ! BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention - Carbon Fiber Finish

Also, does anyone know if the SERPA sportster has the detachable paddle so that the belt loop attachment can be used instead? The holster only comes with the paddle but the belt loop thingy is avail separately.

BLACKHAWK ! *Sportster SERPA Holster
    I got one for my Glock. It is a great holster. It has good retention, and is still easy to draw if needed. It is difficult to CC in, but printing is not an issue here in PA. I'll just wear a larger shirt to CC or i'll OC if I have to. It's more of an OC holster if you want my opinion.

I carry my Glock 23 almost exclusively in a Blackhawk SERPA. The only exception being when I carry around the house. I use either a Fobus holster or a Don Hume leather belt holster. But out and about, it is only the SERPA.

It is comfortable, holds the gun very securely and will not let go unless the retention device is activated. I have seen a test where someone was lifted up off the ground by the grip of a Glock in a SERPA, in the paddle configuration no less.

It is a great holster and I would recommend one to anyone for carry. It's the only holster I open carry in and I really don't have trouble concealing it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I agree with Paco. They are very good holsters, but difficult to conceal.
    +1! Beside the concealability, I didn't like the release. I probably didn't give it a chance as I traded it for my DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I'm past the point of trying to learn new gizmos.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

SERPA=great for OC, not so much for CC, unless it is winter time and you have a cover garment.

I have two SERPAs for my deployment...and they work great
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Great holster. Nice fit, but not for CC. I use mine for OC around the house sometimes, and when outside in my yard..
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I love mine for IPSC and carry around the house

I will say the Serpa I have for my 229 is my least favorite version and the M&P is the best version I have (226,229,1911 & M&P) I think I have revision #9 of the 229 and the Blackhawk guys at SHOT said they have resolved some of the issues with that paticular holster.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I have one for my 1911 and glock all i can say is they great.

I have 2 love it for my glock. I also have one for a 1911 it is ok for that, but I love my leather more. But it is a great holster no regrets on either.

They suck.

from Paul Gomez:
    “Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.”
    In addition to the incidents mentioned above, I have heard of a couple of others that happened in Sim. training.

On top of that, I looked at one once just for the heck of it...the guy at the gunstore pulled a new one out of its box and handed me a blue gun. I put the blue gun into the holster then pressed the button to release. Instead of releasing the gun, I heard/felt something break and the gun WOULD NOT COME OUT OF THE HOLSTER AT ALL.

I don't know about y'all but that doesn't inspire much confidence. There are better retention holsters out there at a similar price point.

edit to add: I don't really care to argue about this, if you want to carry this POS that's your business, I'm just throwing this out there for those who may not be aware. This post contains opinion from a well respected instructor and my own personal experience...if you don't agree, just ignore me.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    They suck.

In addition to the incidents mentioned above, I have heard of a couple of others that happened in Sim. training.

On top of that, I looked at one once just for the heck of it...the guy at the gunstore pulled a new one out of its box and handed me a blue gun. I put the blue gun into the holster then pressed the button to release. Instead of releasing the gun, I heard/felt something break and the gun WOULD NOT COME OUT OF THE HOLSTER AT ALL.

I don't know about y'all but that doesn't inspire much confidence. There are better retention holsters out there at a similar price point.

edit to add: I don't really care to argue about this, if you want to carry this POS that's your business, I'm just throwing this out there for those who may not be aware. This post contains opinion from a well respected instructor and my own personal experience...if you don't agree, just ignore me.
    I heard about the AD, ND, UD, whatever, of the Glock. A foreign object became lodged inside the trigger guard and caused the discharge as the Glock was holstered.

Those Red/Blue training guns are not made to the exact specs of the actual guns. I know, the training gun I have for my P2000 will not fit all the way into my SERPA.

I am very satisfied w/my SERPA. I got the regular one, not the 'Sportster' but I only use the paddle.

As far as 'pushing the button under pressure/stress', remember this: under pressure/stress, you will revert to your training. If you practice enough w/it, you will be able to draw it just as fast as a non-retention holster and faster than one w/a strap. Sure, if you never practice w/it, you will mess up. I and some others use ours for IDPA and it doesn't slow us down at all.

As far as concealment, it's best if you are wearing a 3/4 length coat.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    For my 1911, I have two holsters: a C-TAC and a SERPA. Most of the time, one is on me, the other is in my vehicle. I use my SERPA for OC. I also have the thigh rig for it.

There was a recall for a certain model for Glock. It got fixed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links