MTAC, I like mine but one thing kind of bugs me about it. Anyone else?

This is a discussion on MTAC, I like mine but one thing kind of bugs me about it. Anyone else? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way I do about the Mtac. Overall I like it. It's the first IWB I've worn so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTAC, I like mine but one thing kind of bugs me about it. Anyone else?

Question MTAC, I like mine but one thing kind of bugs me about it. Anyone else?

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way I do about the Mtac. Overall I like it. It's the first IWB I've worn so I have no others to compare it to. I have the clips set to where I want them now and I don't think I'll need to change them again.

Only thing I don't like about the Mtac is the part on the holster where the Clips screw in. The female part where the Clips screw in is a piece of thin metal. When starting to thread the screw you have to push kind of hard on the clip and rubber spacer making it not overly simple to get the screw in. It feels like you could easily strip the threads if you aren't very very careful. You really have to make sure the screw is in the right position before you put much force towards screwing it in.

Anyone else see this as something that could be improved?
    What color is the sky in your world?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yes, I almost stripped one when it was brand new. Once the o-rings sit a while compressed, they stay compressed enough that the "starting the screw" maneuver gets easy.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have MTAC holsters and I found the best thing to do is compress the washers by putting them between two pieces of wood and c-clamp them to compress.
    I made two experimental holsters similar to M-tac actually I used the M-tac kydex shells to make them on one I used aluminium T-Nuts and on the other I used stainless steel T-Nuts. Guess what I stripped the threads on the aluminium ones. Another tip the washers are nothing but windsheild washer hose cut to diffrent lengths go to an auto supply house and buy a foot of hose then you can make your own washers.

For those of us yet to buy a M-tac what purpose does it have???

Can they simply just be removed???

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The washers make the clips stand off of the leather so there is enough space to tuck your shirt in between them. I think that's what your asking about, right?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Yes but more if they are necessary???

Can you tuck without them?

If they cause a problem for some can they just remove them and be done with it??

I don't put spacers on the holsters I make and no one has told me they can't tuck. So I was just wondering of they have to be there?? Even more should I do this too??

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I think that the barrel of the T-nut Comp-tac uses is just large enough that it won't fit in the hole of their clips. The problem I see with discarding them is that the clips will be too easy to spin, and I imagine they would be much less stable as well. It might be different if the T-nut could fit through the hole of the clip, but who knows. It sounds like they wear in anyhow, but if you are really bothered by it take a trip to your local hardware store and buy some thinner washers to try out.

I think the fit issue of the barrel and clip rotation has as much to do with the washers as anything else. I wouldn't worry about changing your holster designs unless you see a legitimate need.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The bolt and nut system is called "sex bolts". Some sex bolts are kinda difficult to get started sometimes. We use sex bolts in construction all the time. I have found that after aligning the the clip over top of the female tube, using your allen wrench, turn the screw slowly "backwards" (counter clockwise) until you hear a "click". You have to listen carefully. The threads are now aligned and ready to turn clockwise. It shouldnt take much effort to thread them in at this point. If your not aligned properly, they will strip. Hope this helps.

I love my MTAC.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, I have one on order - gonna be about 3 weeks they tell me. Also ordered a paddle holster.

Also ordered a Blade-tech, Bobby Mcgee Pro Series NANO IWB. It will be interesting to see how they compare. BTW, Blade-tech tells me orders are taking about 3-4 weeks on non-stock items right now. I just don't know if the Nano is a stock item or not - probably not. Anyway, I probably won't see any of the three holsters for about 3 weeks.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Hmmm, I have one on order - gonna be about 3 weeks they tell me. Also ordered a paddle holster.

Also ordered a Blade-tech, Bobby Mcgee Pro Series NANO IWB. It will be interesting to see how they compare. BTW, Blade-tech tells me orders are taking about 3-4 weeks on non-stock items right now. I just don't know if the Nano is a stock item or not - probably not. Anyway, I probably won't see any of the three holsters for about 3 weeks.
    FYI, a month or two ago I ordered a MTAC on a Monday. They estimated 10 days lead time before it would ship.

Well, it shipped two days later, on Wednesday. I had it in hand Friday. Five days from order to delivery. Well, actually four days not counting the day I ordered.

Can't say your experience will be the same of course, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it ship ahead of schedule. They probably overestimate just to keep from upsetting their customers with late deliveries, in case they do run into a delay.
    Last edited by dmorris68; October 6th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Senior Moderator
    You did that on purpose!!! Getting my hopes built up that is!!! I sure hope you're right - that'd be really nice to get it ahead of the estimate.

When I 1st received my MTAC I went through an adjustment period to hit the cant and height sweet spot. I also had difficulty with the screw aliment while compressing the rubber bushings. Even stripped a few top threads on one side. A suggestion to Comp-Tac would be to install hardened stainless fasteners that can't be stripped with the supplied allen wrench. I'm glad I didn't have any more adjusting to do, am very happy with the IWB and would recommend them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    FYI, a month or two ago I ordered a MTAC on a Monday. They estimated 10 days lead time before it would ship.

Well, it shipped two days later, on Wednesday. I had it in hand Friday. Five days from order to delivery. Well, actually four days not counting the day I ordered.

Can't say your experience will be the same of course, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it ship ahead of schedule. They probably overestimate just to keep from upsetting their customers with late deliveries, in case they do run into a delay.
    I just got an email from Comp-tac - my holsters will be mailed today! I sure am glad to say you were right!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The rubber washers also provide friction to the clips so they stay put and dont swivel out of your adjustment setting.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I DID strip the female screw hole and sent it back.... then Ike hit their factory.. and they still got it back to me within a week!

Great customer service and very good product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links