Ctac aiwb?

This is a discussion on Ctac aiwb? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone with a CTAC tried or can you try to remove either one of the clips and try it at appendix? I was curious ...

Thread: Ctac aiwb?

Question Ctac aiwb?

Has anyone with a CTAC tried or can you try to remove either one of the clips and try it at appendix?

I was curious how secure it would be with just one clip (front or back) attached to the belt. I am considering one for a J-frame.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

I can't speak to the usefulness of the CTAC in this role (you might check warriortalk.com as there have been numerous discussions of good AIWB holsters).

A couple that I would recommend would be either the Tucker Cover-up, or the High Noon "Mr. Softy." The Cover-ups are great, I use one for my Glock 19 and have no issues with comfort or concealment. The Mr. Softy, while not as "nice," is still very serviceable, a friend of mine uses one and likes it. I've played with it and find it to be pretty good...if I didn't already have the Tucker, I'd probably be using the Mr. Softy.

Another option is to use a set of the Barami Hip-Grips. These work great and are, IMO, just about as secure as using a holster. In order to test the "security" of the method, I've grappled while wearing the revolver in this manner and it didn't go anywhere.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks Matt. I know we've talked about the Tucker and that's the way I'm leaning. Just curious about the CTAC.

oops, forgot we already talked about it...it's been a long day
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I've used a cover-up for a g26 and a mr. softy for a pm9 and a hip-grip for a j-frame. I'm not doubting any of Kenpo Tex's response, but have had different experiences. I think the cover-up is a thick holster especially when compared with the mr. softy. The cover-up is better made but I think it's structurally overkill for a smaller gun like the j-frame. IMO, there's no reason to spend the money on a tucker holster if you can get similar features for half with a high-noon. If you were going to carry a heavier gun than the j-frame of pm9, then a more structured holster would have an advantage. BTW, I had a j-frame go skittering across the pavement once with a hip grip and couldn't recommend them.

FWIW, I've tried a comptac 2oclock for an sp101 and it placed the gun way too high for me with the cylinder halfway above the belt. Last word is that tucker just came out with a new aiwb on their website that seems very interesting although it similarly might be overkill for a little j-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by blindluck View Post

FWIW, I've tried a comptac 2oclock for an sp101 and it placed the gun way too high for me with the cylinder halfway above the belt. Last word is that tucker just came out with a new aiwb on their website that seems very interesting although it similarly might be overkill for a little j-frame.
    It is leather lined kydex. I am guessing it would be a little thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    It is leather lined kydex. I am guessing it would be a little thinner.
    You might be thinking of the silent thunder. The new appendix iwb appears to be all leather and doesn't have a name yet:
    Appendix Carry IWB (un-named)

Links