MTAC clips and tucking

MTAC clips and tucking

This is a discussion on MTAC clips and tucking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I've decided on the MTAC for my 5" 1911. Just in case I want to tuck it in. Which clips are best? I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTAC clips and tucking

Question MTAC clips and tucking

OK, I've decided on the MTAC for my 5" 1911. Just in case I want to tuck it in. Which clips are best? I had a CTAC for my USP but, these were the old style fatter clips. When I tried to tuck the holster in, the clips were pretty visible. My wife noticed right away. Are the C clips stable enough for everyday wear? Should I go with the standard clips because I will be untucked more than tucked?

or, of course there is always...

GET BOTH!

What say you?
    -Biker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    OK, I've decided on the MTAC for my 5" 1911. Just in case I want to tuck it in. Which clips are best? I had a CTAC for my USP but, these were the old style fatter clips. When I tried to tuck the holster in, the clips were pretty visible. My wife noticed right away. Are the C clips stable enough for everyday wear? Should I go with the standard clips because I will be untucked more than tucked?

GET BOTH!

What say you?
    LOL! I went through the very same thing when I placed my order for the CTAC for a G17 for the very same reasons and thinking. I ordered the regular clips on the holster and a set of C clips to try. They were 'only' $14, so I got both. Maybe we can compare notes on them
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

jfl

Smile

Mine came with the standard clips (I believe-I didn't ask anything special).
    After over a month of wearing, I found out that the clips are not what holds the holster; friction on the skin and clothing holds it well.
    The clips I have are open on the bottom (kind of an inverted "U" shape), makes it easy to pass over the belt without having to remove the belt.
    So far this the holster I like the best - and I have over 2 dozens
    I hope you'll enjoy yours !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

The C clips you can order on the site are the ones they made for tucking. Or the V clip if you have velcro sewn in to your belt on the inside. They hide better than the standard clips.

The V-clips are the old style 1" wide, 4" long, and only have 3 adjustment holes.

GMS
    The j-clips work well if you are wearing a stiff pair of pants and set your belt tight to your body. Normally I use the c-clips which are almost invisible if your belt / pant color matches exactly and the shirt is bloused out a little bit. No experience with v-clips. I am always worried that the clip plus two layers of velcro will get too thick.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The new standard clips and the j-clips work best for tucking in my opinion. If you use a brown belt or color other than black, the j-clip will not show as much.

I think it is easier to get dressed (including tucked) when using the standard clips. You can go ahead and put your belt through the loops, insert your rig, tuck the shirt, button your pants cinch your belt and go.

With the j-clips, you pretty much have to insert the holster first, then loop your belt.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I have 1.75" standard black clips and have never been asked about them.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

"J" Clips? Comp-Tac doesn't offer "J" clips. Are you guys thinking of Cross Breed?

I have a Cross Breed with the "J" clips and they are more difficult to don the holster because your unbuttoned pants have to hold the gun up until you can get everything together.
    -Biker

"J" Clips? Comp-Tac doesn't offer "J" clips. Are you guys thinking of Cross Breed?

I have a Cross Breed with the "J" clips and they are more difficult to don the holster because your unbuttoned pants have to hold the gun up until you can get everything together.
    they do not offer a j clip.

GET BOTH!

What say you?
    I use the v- clips and they tuck fine + they are invisible

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

They dont show them on their site, but my MTac Minotaur came with thick 3/4" wide "J" clips. I had to order the new standard clips.

The "J" clips are/were thick plastic and shaped like a "J" with a slightly curled down lip. The clips slid over your waistband behind your belt. The "lip" then just barely curled up from the bottom of your belt edge and were nearly invisible.

I am even considering going back to these clips as I think they were more comfortable and were better concealed than the new thin standard clip.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I use the c-clips, but I modified mine by slightly bending the top edge over the belt. This allows the belt to stay attached to the clips. The standard clips are more stable (mine seat the holster a little deeper), but the c-clips work fine.

I was in the same boat. Being completely new to concealed carry I figure that they wouldn't offer crappy clips with the standard package. So I went with standard using the logic that it would work fine because it is what they make it with stock.

I haven't gotten my Rafter belt in, but it fits over everything nice and isn't very obvious.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I made a set of "J" clips from the "C" clips. Just take a dremel and grind off the top part of the "C" clip and ... "voila" ... you have "J" clips.

I agree that the "J" clip is far less noticeable, I like them.

The MTAC is a tuckable holster no matter which Comptac clips you use.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links