Help with carry options = FAT GUY

Help with carry options = FAT GUY

This is a discussion on Help with carry options = FAT GUY within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, not to be too funny, but quite a chubby fella here. 48" waist - (cry) Work a job where dress slacks are required rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with carry options = FAT GUY

Cool Help with carry options = FAT GUY

Okay, not to be too funny, but quite a chubby fella here. 48" waist - (cry)
    Work a job where dress slacks are required rather than jeans, so I'm in these type pants most of the time.

I'm lazy and don't tuck my shirt in, , so it does leave the option of an IWB, but i find that carry type VERY uncomfortable and (again, don't laugh too hard) but the darn challenge is keeping my pants up. Yes, the weight pulls on these dress slacks and one side pulls down and it just looks awkward and puts tension in places where tension shouldn't be!

So... is the answer in having a big belt, rather than the thin one I use? OWB carry doesn't conceal well enough obviously.

So... ideas? thoughts? recommendations? - please?
    Carry options for the fat guy???

Some won't agree...but give the SOB/IWB a try...small of the back, but not on the spine...I use a Fist #41 (See 'Related Links' above)...the holster rides at about at 4:30-5:00 (rides over the kidney...palm out draw).
    The holster and weapon disappear, are very comfortable, and does not pull down on the belt as much as the IWB at 3:30-4:00.
    I have numerous friends who use this same approach. Pulling the weapon is as easy as pulling out the wallet. If fact, if asked for the wallet, this draw would resemble that exact action.

Stay armed...OMO...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A proper, well made gun belt will make a world of difference. I'd also suggest a particular type of suspenders worn over your t-shirt and under your dress shirt. These hook to the belt instead of clipping on your pants and become a structural part of your carry rig. They are the Perry Industrials, the type with NO elastic on the front straps...
    Industrial Original Perry Suspenders
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Maybe you need suspenders. Since you don't tuck in your shirt, perhaps you could even wear them under your undershirt.

I have a 32" waist but my nice behind requires that I wear 34" trousers. IWB works out perfectly for me. Maybe you just need a size up.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Try a shoulder holster.
    You will need to at least wear a loose fitting shirt as a cover garment though. But, by carrying under your armpit you'll completely eliminate the problems incurred by waist carry for your build type.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Depending on where the abdominal fat is concentrated, a shoulder holster or crossdraw is sometimes impossible, if not at least slow.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Some won't agree...but give the SOB/IWB a try...small of the back, but not on the spine...I use a Fist #41 (See 'Related Links' above)...the holster rides at about at 4:30-5:00 (rides over the kidney...palm out draw).
    The holster and weapon disappear, are very comfortable, and does not pull down on the belt as much as the IWB at 3:30-4:00.
    I have numerous friends who use this same approach. Pulling the weapon is as easy as pulling out the wallet. If fact, if asked for the wallet, this draw would resemble that exact action.

+1 A SOB holster with the right belt makes the difference.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Try a shoulder holster.
    You will need to at least wear a loose fitting shirt as a cover garment though. But, by carrying under your armpit you'll completely eliminate the problems incurred by waist carry for your build type.
    +1

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I'm a lot bigger than you, so this may not apply. But you may get some ideas.

I have found that a smartcarry (actually my version - the real one would be far superior, I'm sure) worn under the gut and cinched up appropriately will allow an appendix-position carry that is quite comfortable with a bobbed-hammer snubby (for instructions and photos see http://www.netdataconsultants.com/holster/ - warning: graphic), though intolerable with a regular automatic. The benefits are that the weapon is completely concealed, one can tuck in one's shirt, one's gut acts as a retention device that doesn't require an unsnap, and the weight of the weapon is completely supported by something OTHER than your slacks. I've sneezed and nearly lost my pants before, so I understand...

See also http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-graphics.html

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

+1
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member
    I've got a couple of inches on you.

I have a stiff belt, but not one of the gunbelts. I also experience some of the drooping on the gun-side.

I use the Perry Suspenders mentioned by someone else when wearing untucked, straight bottomed shirts. I carry a G22 IWB Brommeland MaxCon V.

When I wear shirts tucked in, I carry a PM9 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster.

Thumbs up I too a fat guy

I use different styles of holsters to help me.I am xxx and it is hard to find a comfortible way to carry,so here is what I do being a fat guy. I wear outside shirts that don't need to be tucked in and use a Unc Mike iwb holster at 2-3 oclock. or use a blackhawk qcb holster with my shirt long enough and loose enough for comfort. I also wear suits in which I use my Unc mike.Here is my secret. I wear a xxxx lagre t shirt that will cover my belly and be able to be tucked in. then wear my other shirt and my gun is concealed. That t-shirt keeps from getting pinched if you know what I mean. I have an shoulder holster that I despise, a cheap unviersal iwb that i use when I tuck my shirts in.between my shirt being an xxxx large it conceals really well. it wear just below my belt while the grip of my XD is just above the belt. hope that I helped

TOF
    Suspenders are the answer. I use the button on attachments for a positive hold. Clips always let go when I have tried them. You can purchase no sew buttons that simply push thru the trowser belt line.

I get them here:

Suspenders and Belts - from the factory

I prefer their 2" heavy duty line but the dressy ones work also when buttoned on. Use them with a belt to hold the holster.

Good luck
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links