HN Split Decision vs Closing Argument

This is a discussion on HN Split Decision vs Closing Argument within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the forum and to gun ownership. I currently have a Springfield XD9 Service. I'm going to apply for a CCW around Christmas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HN Split Decision vs Closing Argument

HN Split Decision vs Closing Argument

I'm new to the forum and to gun ownership. I currently have a Springfield XD9 Service. I'm going to apply for a CCW around Christmas time (college prevents me from getting it sooner.) I've been looking at different holsters and I think that I've narrowed it down to a High Noon Split Decision or a Closing Argument. I was originally looking at a Split Decision because I like that it is an IWB tuckable and pretty cheap. Then I realized that it doesn't have anything between the rear of the slide and where my skin will be when I wear it. I've read that the XD's finish gets worn off and I thought that this might start to irritate my skin. I've also read that some people's XDs haven't had this problem so I don't know what to expect from extended wear. So I started looking at the Closing Argument which has a piece of leather that will prevent contact with the slide and my skin. However, since it's not a stocking item it will take 20-25 weeks to be made and delivered. It's also over 2x the price as the Split Decision. So if anyone has any information about which one might suit me better or information about carrying an XD, I would appreciate the help.

2. Remove Ads

IIRC, the Split Decision and Closing Argument are the same design, with the CA adding the barrier tab. The SD uses a thinner cowhide and is not reinforced for easier one-handed reholstering, both of which make it slightly thinner and easier to conceal for some. It also has less boning detail than the CA. But it is a very good holster for the money, IMO. I had the SD for my Kahr CW9. Retention was good, trigger was fully enclosed, and it rode well for me at the 4-o'clock position. All in all an excellent value I thought.

If you wear an undershirt behind your IWB, as I do, the barrier tab is less critical. Against bare skin without the barrier, most handgun slides will be uncomfortable, and will come into contact with a lot more perspiration. So whether the tab is important is an entirely personal issue that depends on your build, how you dress, how much you sweat, type of handgun, etc.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I use a crossbreed due to one hand reholstering and a sweatshield between gun and body,I also have a HN split decision for a Keltec P11 when I want a lighter gun that conceals a little easier than a 1911 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The slide shield is a NICE option to have. Take a look at Mtac by Comptac or the Crossbreed. BOTH are excellent, comfortable and you won't wait 20 to 25 weeks for either one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and to gun ownership. I currently have a Springfield XD9 Service. . . . I've been looking at different holsters and I think that I've narrowed it down to a High Noon Split Decision or a Closing Argument. I was originally looking at a Split Decision because I like that it is an IWB tuckable and pretty cheap. . . . . I've read that the XD's finish gets worn off . . . I've also read that some people's XDs haven't had this problem so I don't know what to expect from extended wear.
    As a lawyer, I was beginning to get excited about the terms "Split Decision" and "Closing Argument" -- until I discovered the discussion about holsters.

Back to the subject: I also have read some old stories about the XD finish, but also have read that the problem existed on pistols several years older when they were manufactured by HS2000. If there are recent complaints, I am not aware of it.

On the other hand, I recently saw a Bersa Thunder 380 which had been carried IWB and subjected to perspiration for a couple of months. Although the function was not affected, the finish took a beating. The complainant was trying to get Gander Mountain to replace it. I don't know what happened to it.

In summary, you are smart to be concerned about the effects of IWB carry and perspiration. Maybe others will have more on the effects of perspiration on carry firearms.

don hume H721ot
    Life is too short to be serious!

Do any of you prefer a 0 degree cant to a 15 degree cant? I'm just trying to figure out if it makes a huge difference. If I get a 0 degree cant, I can wear it on my 3 o'clock and it should be a perfect fit. But if I get a 15 degree cant, I can wear it at my 2:30, 3, and 4 and it should work out okay.

You might want to consider UBG also. I have a Canute for my XD and am EXTREMELY happy with it. Nate's prices are reasonable too.

Big D 7

Its all features, so match your needs to what the holster was designed to do. Are you going to a shooting class where you will need to draw and redraw the gun? Do you like to practice drawing 50 times a night? Do you need one handed reholstering? Is the gun against your skin going to bother you? The SD is not the one in this scenario.The Closing Argument is the one to get. Or is it 100 degrees outside with 80% humidity, the pants you are going to wear today are cut a bit to tight and you gained a few pounds over the holidays, you demand all day comfort like the gun is not even there, if you need to draw the gun, its only coming out one time and the threat will be eliminated? The Split Decision will get the job done with flying colors in this scenario.

Just give us a call if you have any questions and want them answered quick. 727-939-2701 or email us directly at the site.
    Also, its good to have a number of holsters in your collection.

Take Care
    Justin

I have a split decision for the smith and wesson j frame and the fit is very poor. the clip for the belt is very thin also. I am aware its a low cost holster, but i feel there are better choices for the money. Justin, I feel your split decision holsters need some new materials for me to want to purchase them in the future. some of your higher end holsters look very nice though, however.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I have a split decision for the smith and wesson j frame and the fit is very poor. the clip for the belt is very thin also. I am aware its a low cost holster, but i feel there are better choices for the money. Justin, I feel your split decision holsters need some new materials for me to want to purchase them in the future. some of your higher end holsters look very nice though, however.
    Yeah, I tried Mr. Softy for Ruger SP101. It's essentially same holster as the Hidden Ally/Split Decision, just not tuckable.
    Was well-made enough, just that here really just wasn't enough holster there. Gun rode very high, barely covered trigger, wasn't very secure in it, quite top heavy. And yeah, I worked it and worked it.
    Emailed pic, and feller said that's what it's supposed to look like.

They were fine about taking it back, though. 'Course I was out the shipping in both directions. Oh well, this and a couple of other paths finally led me to David Bullard's creations, and I've been very very pleased.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Hello Hedgehog,

You should have returned it if you did not like it, as you know we have a 30 day beat it up policy. The last thing we want to have is an unhappy customer.Guarantee.

We are so confused by your post. We will start with a poor fit. Please explain this, so everyone can understand what you mean because we are always looking to design a better holster, maybe we missed something. In the mean time, without any new information, its about as good as a perfect fit, look at the picture, thats a J frame in a Split Decision. Its hard to get in and hard to get out at the begining. Sometimes customers do not understand its a non molded holster and it is going over a fat revolver cylinder. Its not going to contour around the gun at first. Also, its never going to fit as good as a wet molded holster but a close tolerance design like the Split D sure comes close.

Lets move on to the clip being to thin. In our opinion thats a good thing, less to see. Who wants a fat overweight clip? You should be worried about it being weak and cheap, not thin or thick. The reality of that clip is people complain about it all the time. They say its too strong and we could ease up on the strength of the clip a bit. They want it to go on and come off with less pressure. We want it that strong and stiff, it needs to lock on the belt when you draw, all the time. If you do a search on it here, you will see.

As for the new materials, we are still confused, please suggest what you would like us to use staying inside The design intentions of the holster. The Split Decision design intent is to be as thin as possible, like wearing no holster at all.

Maybe you do not like a thin holster, we do make other lines just like the SD but with more features. Closing Argument

Take Care
    Justin
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Yeah, I tried Mr. Softy for Ruger SP101. It's essentially same holster as the Hidden Ally/Split Decision, just not tuckable.
    Was well-made enough, just that here really just wasn't enough holster there. Gun rode very high, barely covered trigger, wasn't very secure in it, quite top heavy. And yeah, I worked it and worked it.
    Emailed pic, and feller said that's what it's supposed to look like.

They were fine about taking it back, though. 'Course I was out the shipping in both directions. Oh well, this and a couple of other paths finally led me to David Bullard's creations, and I've been very very pleased.

- OS
    Hello Ohshoot,

This is a break in problem. The gun is not seated all the way down. As you can see from the pictures 80% of the trigger guard is covered when the gun is seated all the way down. 100% of the trigger is covered. And yes it does ride high but only high enough to get a combat grip on the weapon when you draw. With a good gun belt the holster is very secure, you do not even notice the weight of the gun, the pressure from the belt is pushing against you and the gun/holster.That may be the problem. In any case we are glad you returned it.

Take care
    Justin
    Attached Images

Administrator
    I've ran across a few High Noon products so far, and I like 'em. The ones (Split Decisions) I have are for my Kahr or 442. Simple and effective, at that price point its hard to go wrong. My Kahr rides in one daily now, I have several other options for it, I favor the HN. If I were carrying a larger gun, I think I'd opt for the closing argument.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry my KELTEC PF9 in a Split Decision, and I think this is an outstanding holster for subcompacts. The flap that connects the holster to the clip is pretty thin and I suspect that heavy guns will shift a bit unless you keep your belt cinched tight, but for small autos this holster can't be beat for only $35.

I would prefer the slide protector like the Closing Argument has (I'm in Arizona and I'm not about to wear an extra t-shirt), but I didn't want to wait for my order. You do get used to it and even after six months of daily carry I have not seen any finish issues.

The holster mouth is reinforced, but still the holster collapses just enough to prevent one hand reholstering. Part of the problem is that the holster shifts due to the thin flap I mentioned above. This is not a big deal IMO.

To HighNoon: I love the clip! Don't modify it! It is the best I own. Strong, light, and easy to remove. The last thing I want is a cheap plastic clip to break at the worst possible moment. I know your holster is going to stay exactly where I put it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links