New K&D Dakota and Laredo Defender (pics)

This is a discussion on New K&D Dakota and Laredo Defender (pics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered 2 new holsters from K&D and just got them last week. I ordered a Dakota Defender IWB and a Laredo Defender OWB. Dakota ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New K&D Dakota and Laredo Defender (pics)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

New K&D Dakota and Laredo Defender (pics)

I ordered 2 new holsters from K&D and just got them last week. I ordered a Dakota Defender IWB and a Laredo Defender OWB.

Dakota Defender:

The holster quality is superb! The leather is stiff enough that there is no need for an extra layer to keep the mouth open for easy re-holstering. I ordered these for my Kimber Ultra Carry II w/Crimson Trace grips and asked that the holster accomodate the laser bump on the grip. K&D came through. I expected a notch to be cut out for the laser but not K&D, Kevin boned the holster around the laser and did a great job with it. The Dakota has a suede backing that adds much to comfort. I have worn this holster since it arrived and in both tucked and untucked modes, this is an extremely comfortable IWB. I originally ordered the Dakota only and then added the Laredo Defender only weeks before my order should have been shipped. From time of order to receipt was about 19 weeks. I ordered the "C" clips for the Dakota as they arent as easily noticed while a shirt is tucked. The "C" clips are made by Comp-Tac and are a very good clip. Retention on the Dakota is excellent as well. The holster has a detent for the safety to stay in and I have no fear of my safety coming off by itself. The draw is nice and smooth. I have several other leather holsters and the Dakota draws better than my others (not gonna mention names). Stitching looks very uniform and I cannot even find where it starts or stops, excellent job. For anyone looking for a quality custom leather holster, give K&D a call. Kevin is a great guy, very professional and makes a very good product. I am extremely happy with these new holsters.

Laredo Defender:

I wanted a custom OWB for winter carry and for attending shooting matches. This Laredo will certainly gather interest and questions on the range. I asked Kevin to custom add gray Elephant hide to the side of the holster and also make the belt loops with Elephant. When it arrived, I was so impressed with the appearance of the Elephant and again, the quality craftsmanship of the holster that I felt like a 4 yr old on Christmas morning. I had them add the body sweat shield to help protect my skin and keep sweat off of my pistol. Kevin even boned the area where the slide, grip and safety rest on the inside of the holster. This holster also accomodates the Crimson Trace laser on the side of the grip, perfectly positioned and curved around the optical lens, absolutely perfect work. The holster holds the butt of the gun nice and tight against the body for maximum stability and concealment.

I am very happy with my new holsters and am extremely impressed with K&D quality. Good job Kevin and thanks again from a fellow ex-sailor.

K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Yup, that Laredo's gonna turn some heads at the matches for sure.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

VIP Member
    Sweet. Hope they work good for You.

Great looking leather, I love the elephant. Congrats!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Nice holsters you got there. I really like those kydex clips on the Dakota and how they clip around the belt.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Does the Dakota Defender have an open open muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    Does the Dakota Defender have an open open muzzle?
    Yes, there is an opening at the muzzle. This should help allow dirt or other debris to fall out.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member
    Nice pics, he does make a nice holster and will get back with you if you have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Yes, there is an opening at the muzzle. This should help allow dirt or other debris to fall out.

_
    Thanks. After looking at those pictures and visiting the site, I might need to get one of those.

Killing me!!! My card was charged the 6th of this month for a Dakota Defender for my Colt Defender. Beautiful holsters, I really like the elephant, unusual color on a holster.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have both of those holsters and can tell you that the longer you wear them the more you will appreciate Kevin's work.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

how tight is the fit on the pistol for the Defender? Will the pistol fall out if you hold it upside down?

how tight is the fit on the pistol for the Defender? Will the pistol fall out if you hold it upside down?
    Retention is good on both holsters. I think you're referring to the Laredo? ... its nice and tight, I have no fear of the pistol coming out unless I draw it.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Retention is good on both holsters. I think you're referring to the Laredo? ... its nice and tight, I have no fear of the pistol coming out unless I draw it.

_
    Oops. I meant the Dakota. I assume the same answer goes for the Dakota. But thank you.

Oops. I meant the Dakota. I assume the same answer goes for the Dakota. But thank you.
    He probably assumed you meant the Laredo since IWB holsters have the added retention of the waistband/belt. You should never have to worry much about retention with an IWB -- even a loose holster will retain a weapon with a belt cinched over it, unless it's a really low-cut crappy holster combined with a flimsy belt.

In fact when I first started wearing my MTAC, I had to be careful not to overtighten my belt, or I'd have a ******* time drawing my 1911. And it's not that the MTAC's retention was adjusted too tight -- I could shake the gun out when I turned it over in my hand. Oh, and having to overtighen your belt to keep your holster and pants from flopping around or sagging is a sign of a poor belt.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links