VMII vs. MTAC

This is a discussion on VMII vs. MTAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so ihave spent the last couple of hours looking at holsters. i finally got the chance to take my class last weekend and will send ...

Thread: VMII vs. MTAC

VMII vs. MTAC

so ihave spent the last couple of hours looking at holsters. i finally got the chance to take my class last weekend and will send of next week when my paycheck gets here, so now i need a good holster. its between the MTAC and VMII.

right now i want a comfortable tuckable holster for a 5 inch 1911.
    the mtac is tuckable and i like the changable kydex for different weapons (wanting a lightweight commander or M&P45 for carry), the VMII looks comfortable but harder to tuck and adjust cant angle. any advice?

also, where do i need to look for a good gun belt, havent found one i like yet....
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Belt

Try the Belt Man... I have heard he is the best. His stuff looks great.
    There are great reviews on here about him. Just put it up in the search engine.

Good luck on the holster thing...
    If I may, you have to remember kydex is not forgiving like leather. I like my CompTac Tuckable for certain things but not for every day carry. Just my meager opinion.
    Or just get both.
    You can get the MTac really quick and the VMII, from the factory, will take few months. By then, you will have the $ for the VMII when it is ready to ship. LOL.
    Sorry, I hate those decisions too...
    I think you would enjoy either one. If you have a friend(s) that have one, try them on...

Cheers!

The MTAC and VM2 are both excellent, but completely different "classes" of holster. Depending on a lot of factors, one might suit you better than the other, but I don't think you'd be disappointed in either. I currently have an MTAC and carry a Commander in it quite comfortably. I also have a VM2 on order -- only 4 more months now!

If tuckable is a must-have feature for you, the MTAC will serve you better I think. You can get clips to convert the VM2 to a tuckable, but I've heard poor reviews of doing so. From all I've heard the VM2 really excels when used with its belt loops. I intend to keep my MTAC for when I need to go tucked, and the VM2 the rest of the time.

You can have your MTAC inside of a week usually (I ordered on a Monday, was quoted a 10-day lead time, but it shipped that Wednesday and arrived that Friday). You won't find a VM2 by next payday unless you get lucky and know someone with one, or you pay a greatly inflated price on eBay or through one of the handful of Sparks dealers who always seemed to be out of stock when I checked. I just saw a Commander VM2 + single mag pouch sell for $250 on eBay a couple weeks ago. That's only $160 direct from Sparks. So the cheapest route is to custom order direct, but you'll wait 5-6 months for them to make it.

So you might do what I did: buy both, an MTAC for now while you're waiting on your VM2. Sparks won't charge your credit card until they start making it several months down the road, so it's not like getting hit with a double whammy at once.

As for belts, the Beltman is your friend!
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

dmorris...

LOL.... that is too funny. I wrote almost the exact same thing. LOL.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have the MTAC and the VMII. IMHO, the MTAC is more comfortable and carries lighter on the hip. The MTAC is also faster on the draw.

I personally like a "tuckable" holster. Sometimes throughout the day, I tuck/untuck my shirt or take off another shirt and with the VMII, I have to continually dress to cover my gun. I have the Sparks tuckable clips but they are not as comfortable and kind of a pain in the butt to clip onto the pants. I bought the MTAC because it was quick to get and really like it, its all day comfort.

Another good tuckable holster is the K&D Dakota Defender. I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I can see it replacing my MTAC for EDC. Its very comfortable and is also a well crafted all leather holster. I'm happy with my Dakota and have not heard any bad reviews about them.

If I had to do it over again, I would skip the VMII, order an MTAC for now and then order a K&D Dakota Defender.

Here's a photo of my Dakota ... I dont think you can go wrong with either the MTAC or the K&D Dakota. I wasnt real impressed with the VMII, my Dakota Defender is more comfortable.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

i would love to try some on, but nobody i know is "into" guns like i am, i have a lot of friends that shoot for fun in the woods, and one that likes to go to the range and shoot and is all into "if i get shot again im shootin back ******!" (long story short: vol. fireman shot accidentally by paid fireman with cops gun)
    he even took a CCW class and never got his permit. no one thinks the same way i do or to the extent that i worry about my daughter and my safety.

i will be the only one i know to carry once i get my permit with the exception of a PD friend that pcket carries a NAA .22 everywear and was proud when i took my CCW class.

thanks for the opinions, i think i will get the MTAC, if i like it for everyday, GREAT. if not i will try some other IWB holsters but then i wont need a tuckable also, as i only tuck a couple days a week (cant carry at work :( )
    Ted Nugent

I have both for my G27. Both are comfy but the edge would go to the VMII. The VMII also offers better retention and is a better made holster all around. But for tucking I still use my MTAC.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have both. For me the VMII rode too high(I carry a Glock 30sf) and caused too much printing. I did some up with a fix if you search my other posts you will see. That being said save money and time and get the Mtac The Mtac is more comfortable and conceals better IMO.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

thanks for all the info, i think i will be getting the mtac for my birthday. my gf saw me looking at them and asked if i would like one for my birthday next month. GOD I LOVE HER!
    Ted Nugent

When you get the gun belt, spring for Velcro lining. I have the M-Tac with Velcro clips and have been in situations where I have tucked my shirt... the clips just disappear.

Links