pants size for IWB

pants size for IWB

This is a discussion on pants size for IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not a Scandinavian swinger in tight slacks but I was wondering how much bigger I should buy my pants for IWB carry?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pants size for IWB

pants size for IWB

I am not a Scandinavian swinger in tight slacks but I was wondering how much bigger I should buy my pants for IWB carry?

Take your holster and gun to the store to try some on.

In dress slacks I wear 1 size up, in jeans 2 sizes up. Dress slacks are more comfortable for me 2 sizes up but I have to get the crotch taken in or I look "excited" when I sit down - so I just buy 1 size up.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Try the holster with the size you're currently wearing so you'll have an idea of what you'll need. Then try some different sizes at the store (if you're in a changing room, they're not going to know you have your gun...).

I go 1" larger as that's enough to make it comfortable with the IWB, but not so loose that I can't wear them w/o the IWB holster just by cinching up my belt an extra notch.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Pants size

On average, I have found customers/friends going up 2". For belts, 2-3 inches as well.
    The down side is once you take the gun off, your pants will sag. LOL.

I practically live in 5.11 shorts...with an elastic waist...but I do keep double belt sizes to use with the same shorts...just what I do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry IWB in my regular size I'd wear if I wasn't carrying. Jeans mainly. No problems.

Just thought I'd mention that most of my "decent" clothes, including the business casual style I wear at work, come from Eddie Bauer. Jeans too, for that matter, but particularly khakis. I've worn their khakis for years and just love them. EB quality is great, they seem to last a lot longer than Dockers, Duck Head, etc. and are generally cheaper too, especially when they run a sale or you find a discount coupon code online, which is usually easy to do. I shop almost exclusively online, since you can get them custom fit in sizes and cuff options that you can't get in the store. If you order and get something you don't like or that doesn't fit, you can return it to a local store if you have one rather than mail it back.

Anyway they make several style of pants that have a hidden elastic "cheater" adjustment in the waste. So you can actually buy them to just fit, and when you wear your IWB, they will expand to fit. No more dropping trou by accident when not wearing your gun, or having to cinch up your belt and bunching up the waistband.

Here's a link to their "adjustable" pants:

Eddie Bauer: Elastic & Comfort Waist
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

jfl
    What gun are you carrying and which holster.
    For a G-26 / G-19 in a M-TAC I buy 34" waist instead of the 33.
    I also find that punching extra holes in the belt between the regular holes help.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I add 2" for jeans and Dockers. Much more comfy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

It looks to be about 1" size for myself. I'm pretty skinny, but so is my 1911 :)

I think it depends on the gun and holster combo. Some guns are just gonna take up more space, it also depends on where you holster it.

Directly at 3 oclock is gonna go against your hip a bit more, which for me, sticks out a bit further, but at 4-4:30, my body tends have more room in between my pants and myself.

Practice. Lose some weight. Get a good belt. Try a thin holster, e.g., the MTAC. Never could understand why people go up waist size pants to carry IWB. Men wear pants on their hips, not their waist. If you wear larger pants you will look like a clown.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That’s what it’s all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

I have had success staying with my regular pants size. But you might look at the slacks with the "comfort waist that has the auto adjustment on them with elastic. Jeans...what helped me was just changing the fit instead of tapered and regular fit I went to relaxed or comfort, loose fit.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I wear the same size I always have. I have been wearing the same pants size for the last 10 years and have only been carrying iwb for the last 2 of them.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Adding two inches to spandex pants makes them saggy in the ankles.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I carry IWB in my regular size I'd wear if I wasn't carrying. Jeans mainly. No problems.

Yeah, me too Ramrod. For a minute, I thought that I was missing something. I wear a 34" waist and I could wear them without a belt if I had to. (Not with a gun obviously)

Even with my full-size 1911 in an IWB holster, I can still go with a 34" size and they aren't too tight. With my Kel-Tec PF-9, I could wear a size 1" smaller.

Kev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links