MTAC seem too tight

This is a discussion on MTAC seem too tight within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an MTAC for my H&K P2000sk. When trying the gun in the holster it goes in and out nicely. When I put the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTAC seem too tight

MTAC seem too tight

I bought an MTAC for my H&K P2000sk. When trying the gun in the holster it goes in and out nicely. When I put the holster on then it is hard to get in and harder to pull out. Will this get easier as the holster gets used? At the moment I have to hold the holster with the other hand while having to pull hard to get it out.

2. Remove Ads

Ease up on any or all of the retention screws.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

jfl
    The leather part molds itself to the gun over time; I had to tighten the screws several times over the first month.
    Use a good dressing on the leather.
    I always spray my kydex holsters with a silicone spray, it helps.
    A stiff carry type belt is a must.
    Hope this helps !
    I love my M-TAC.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Did you try loosening the retention screws? If not try it. If you did, yes it will loosed up some as the leather molds itself to the shape of your gun.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Mine has a small nub of plastic molded in where the triggerguard fits. I have to slightly twist the butt of the gun inwards to release it to pull it out. I assume it is a retention feature. I also had to loosen the tension screws on mine to fine tune the amount of effort required to unholster the gun. It may have to be readjusted from time to time as the holster breaks in or if you change positions.

jfl
    I forgot to mention that it helped me to punch extra holes in my belt between the regular holes, you get a finer adjustment.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    Mine has a small nub of plastic molded in where the triggerguard fits. I have to slightly twist the butt of the gun inwards to release it to pull it out. I assume it is a retention feature. I also had to loosen the tension screws on mine to fine tune the amount of effort required to unholster the gun. It may have to be readjusted from time to time as the holster breaks in or if you change positions.
    +1

I had a similar problem with my Commander and MTAC. I adjusted the retention screws so that the gun just slid out with a soft shake while held upside down, but once the belt was tensioned, the gun was locked in tight. I finally discovered that a slight twist of the butt towards the body released it pretty easily. That's why it's important to practice drawing drills from any new holster.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I forgot to mention that it helped me to punch extra holes in my belt between the regular holes, you get a finer adjustment.
    My initial response to your problem is, .... your belt is too tight! With any IWB holster, if you overtighten your belt, the gun will be harder to draw. It is very important to have a belt designed to carry the weight of the gun so you dont have to over tighten your belt to make up the difference.

I own an MTAC and I have no problem drawing my weapon. My gun belt "supports" the pistol, it does not confine it.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I had this "problem" myself. I loosened the tension and then practiced drawing. Use a firm tug on the pistol...like force it out. It will release. You'll just have to work with it.

That is one advantage to my new Raven Concealment holster. It's only kydex, but the gun releases very easily. Holds securely though

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Ease up on any or all of the retention screws.

I have already tried this. Doesn't seem to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    My initial response to your problem is, .... your belt is too tight!
    It's definitely not to tight. If anything I have it to loose to help with this problem

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    A stiff carry type belt is a must.
    This might be some of my problem. I have a Beltman belt on order and might have it next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I finally discovered that a slight twist of the butt towards the body released it pretty easily.
    This seems to help more than anything

I have two MTAC's and several kydex bodies. I'm pretty familiar with carrying with this holster and I have experienced this issue.

I absolutely cannot carry my SIG P220 with the MTAC due to it. The retention screws are loosened to the point where they barely are able to stay in, and the gun slips right in and out of the holster. When belted up though it locks in like mad. I nearly broke the clips off the holster trying to draw it a few times, it is locked in that holster. I've spent hours tinkering around with cants and retention to no avail.

The only way it will draw is to twist it inward then pull, and that's not acceptable to me. The other guns I've tried it with: G19, G27, Kahr P45, M&P, and a fullsize 1911 have all been fine.

I've got a UBG holster on order for the 220, always wanted to try one anyways so I figured I'd get one for the SIG and use the MTACs for other things.

Bottom line, I don't know what causes it but apparently with some guns the MTAC has serious problems. I think it's unsafe to carry in a way that makes your handgun almost impossible to draw expect with some special twist, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflurry View Post
    The only way it will draw is to twist it inward then pull, and that's not acceptable to me. The other guns I've tried it with: G19, G27, Kahr P45, M&P, and a fullsize 1911 have all been fine.
    I think it's unsafe to carry in a way that makes your handgun almost impossible to draw expect with some special twist, but that's just me.
    Yeah when I first got mine, I damn near gave myself a wedgie trying trying to draw the gun. At least I can say the clips hold up well!

But honestly FWIW the twist required for my Commander is very subtle, there's no gross twisting motion required. Just a very slight clockwise torque of the wrist, and after a few practice draws it became mostly natural to me. The problem was I just had to figure this out on my own. They don't market it as having such a "retention" feature but it looks like they could, and I think they should warn folks of this beforehand just so they don't think they have a defective holster.

If not an intentional "feature," I can't help but assume that it's due to the wide leather backer bending around to conform to the body, and flexing the kydex shell a bit where it retains the trigger guard. Especially since it really doesn't matter how tight the belt is, as others have said the belt can be loose and it will still do it. It might affect some more than others, or not at all, depending on their build and carry position, which would effect how much the holster flexes.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links