Small gun IWB?

This is a discussion on Small gun IWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking of adding a micro or sub-compact gun to my small collection. Thinking of a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact. 3.5" barrel .45acp. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small gun IWB?

Small gun IWB?

I have been thinking of adding a micro or sub-compact gun to my small collection. Thinking of a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact. 3.5" barrel .45acp.

Anyhow, is there anyone here who thinks that these guns are too small to be used IWB? That may sound silly, but is there enough barrel to warrant or necessitate that method of carry at all? I've been thinking that maybe OWB is a better choice for a gun of this size. Anyone have a micro 1911 and carry IWB? Does it have any disadvantages, being a small gun?

A lot of vague questions but basically I'm wondering if I should invest in an IWB holster for a micro or just go with OWB and forget it.

2. Remove Ads

As long as the gun rides low enough below the belt so as not to be top heavy. That is the primary reason so many short barrel guns don't carry well in many holsters.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Not the same pistol but I have a similar sized Taurus PT-145 which I carry IWB in a Masters Holster appendix carry. It disappears under a t-shirt.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    As long as the gun rides low enough below the belt so as not to be top heavy. That is the primary reason so many short barrel guns don't carry well in many holsters.
    Hrm...so would you say that generally I'd be better off with OWB for a gun of that size? I mean with regards to it being comfortable and workable. Concealing it won't be an issue for me.

You can conceal anything you want to. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you think highly of a pistol, then there is a way, and someone else has already done it effectively. Shoot well, shoot often!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Hrm...so would you say that generally I'd be better off with OWB for a gun of that size? I mean with regards to it being comfortable and workable. Concealing it won't be an issue for me.
    While I carry an IWB every day, if concealment is not an issue, I'd always recommend a good OWB. Notice I did not say Uncle Mike's or Fobus! Money spent on a quality holster AND BELT is never a waste.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    While I carry an IWB every day, if concealment is not an issue, I'd always recommend a good OWB. Notice I did not say Uncle Mike's or Fobus! Money spent on a quality holster AND BELT is never a waste.
    I know that, but I have not seen many people carry small firearms IWB which brought me to the question of something about a small gun not working IWB. OWB is fine and obviously it will feel better on your side too, but I don't have a preference. Just a bit of curiosity and some information gathering from the members here. Small gun OWB should be ok for me. Anything larger than a G19 probably wouldn't be a good idea based on how I dress day to day.

Like I said, I just really thought IWB was bad with a short barrel for some reason...like it didn't hold right.

BTW: Any of you guys/gals ever think you have too many guns that can be carried and have no idea how to setup a carry rotation for them?

los
    I just ordered a Crossbreed SuperTuck (IWB Holster) for my Kahr PM45, which is smaller than the Springer Ultra Compact.

I don't foresee any issues at all.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Though I usually pocket carry it, my PM9 does just fine in IWB:

I carry my PF9 IWB all the time in a High Noon Hidden Ally. works great.

I carry a Colt Officer's 3.5" IWB in an UBG Canute. It stays very tight to my side, and with IWB, if you stretch or bend, the bottom of the holster doesn't peek out. Get a holster with some kind of body shield, and wear a T-shirt, and you should be fine.

I have a Walther PPK .380 that I have been trying to carry with a Don Hume IWB. It is top heavy and digs into my hip bone. I can carry it around town on short trips, but I need something better for all day carry. Any ideas???

Like PapaScout said,

I also carry a PT-145 IWB without any problems. I carry mine in a Tucker Heritage that has tuckable clips. I have never hand any difficulties dealing with "top heavy" as the gun rides low on the beltline but is easy to draw. You should have no problems with your choice providing you use a good holster and belt combination

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Ron
    Like I said, I just really thought IWB was bad with a short barrel for some reason...like it didn't hold right.

BTW: Any of you guys/gals ever think you have too many guns that can be carried and have no idea how to setup a carry rotation for them?
    I have just converted to OWB carry for my Kimber Ultra Carry because I found IWB not comfortable, regardless of the holsters I have tried.

I now have a Sideguard "Slide" model, which is a tight fitting pancake style OWB. I have been able to conceal it under a loose fitting T shirt almost as well as IWB, and it is much more comfortable.

As for rotating carry guns, I will carry my 642 snub nose revolver in a Mika pocket holster with 135 grain + P Spear Gold Dot JHP, when I need to tuck my shirt, and my Untra Carry OWB when I can untuck.

Works great for me. Good luck with whatever you decide for yourself.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Lead Moderator
    I have been thinking of adding a micro or sub-compact gun to my small collection. Thinking of a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact. 3.5" barrel .45acp.

Anyhow, is there anyone here who thinks that these guns are too small to be used IWB?
    I tried IWB with a double stack 3" barreled gun. I found it was not comfortable in the long term. A single stack , such as a 1911 might be better , but for me a 4" SA Champ was the ticket for IWB . I feel IWB conceals easier with light clothing(t shirt).
    However everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the next.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links