TTGunleather Pic

This is a discussion on TTGunleather Pic within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my new arrival from TT Gunleather, thanks to Tim for letting me change up my order more than several times. You're great man! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTGunleather Pic

TTGunleather Pic

Here's my new arrival from TT Gunleather, thanks to Tim for letting me change up my order more than several times. You're great man!

I think it came out great, nice stitching, quality leather and a superb dye job. And let me state again that they are great folks over there, answered every email I sent to them very very quickly, and they will pretty much make what ever you'd desire
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

EXCELLENT looking holster...I hadn't heard of them before, but may now have to check them out. Congrats!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Looks fantastic! I'm antsy about mine, according to his site he started working on the week of my order... I can't wait!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

TT Gunleather

VERY NICE!!
    I like the color combo.
    They make good gear!

Beautiful holster. I just detest anyone who blatantly copies others' work.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Is it really necessary to derail the thread with such pettiness?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It's not petty when you're a top notch leathersmith who has dedicated his life to researching, designing, and building quality products. I realize there are only so many things you can do with a slab of leather, but if you do any research, these are certainly infringements. That's the wonderful thing about these forums...the dissenting vote can come out.

It's not petty when you're a top notch leathersmith who has dedicated his life to researching, designing, and building quality products. I realize there are only so many things you can do with a slab of leather, but if you do any research, these are certainly infringements. That's the wonderful thing about these forums...the dissenting vote can come out.
    When was it patented? If it's not expired then it is infringement as you say.

ETA: And I'm not trying to stifle your 'dissent' (Actually I think it's popular opinion some places), but rather understand why it has to be brought up anytime TT is praised.

Yet you bought a Ruger LCP.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

There have been many new holstermakers who've come along and designed their own styles. I own several of them. But if you wonder why it comes up so often with TT, read the threads on many forums. He's blatantly copied Milt Spark's work, almost to a stitch. Are they patented? I doubt if a six-man shop patents every holster. But there is honor among thieves, except for this shop. Seems like TT can build a wonderful product. Why can't he develop his own style like all the rest successful holstermakers did?

There have been many new holstermakers who've come along and designed their own styles. I own several of them. But if you wonder why it comes up so often with TT, read the threads on many forums. He's blatantly copied Milt Spark's work, almost to a stitch. Are they patented? I doubt if a six-man shop patents every holster. But there is honor among thieves, except for this shop. Seems like TT can build a wonderful product. Why can't he develop his own style like all the rest successful holstermakers did?
    IANAL but I believe utility patents last up to twenty years and design patents fourteen. How long has the VMII been around? I ask because I wonder if it isn't a moot argument (in terms of "thievery").

Probably my friend. I guess that's why we stick to principals.

...Seems like TT can build a wonderful product. Why can't he develop his own style like all the rest successful holstermakers did?
    Milt Sparks isn't hurting for business. I'd be interested to see a thread where MS complains about being copied. If the design works, and is not patented, what's the problem in producing a similar quality product, with a quicker time frame? I must be missing something.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

If in fact you were a leather-smith the difference in my design of this holster would be blatantly apparent. Not even the shape of my holster is the same, it may not be entirely foreign in shape but lets be somewhat reasonable here, it is serving the exact same function and therefore demands some likeness. If you were to compare the back of the two holsters, and please feel free to bring up a comparison photo of the two side by side, back and front; you will clearly see that it has even more differences in both appearance and functionality. I don't normally get involved in these discussions but your constant need to post negative remarks when customers post threads about my work is unreasonable in my opinion.

That is all I am going to say on the matter.

Best Regards to All,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Milt Sparks isn't hurting for business. I'd be interested to see a thread where MS complains about being copied. If the design works, and is not patented, what's the problem in producing a similar quality product, with a quicker time frame? I must be missing something.
    I believe that a lot of people view the holster maker as an artist, poet, writer, etc. Much like their work is copyrighted, many people think a holster maker has a copyright, at least in principle.

I take the position that it's more like an automobile. Other than small details, everything about it is public domain (un-patented, un-copyrighted), because it's been around so long.

I think what makes this get so heated when it comes up is that we're not talking about a massive corporation, we're talking about a craftsman and so the artist/poet/writer position seems more appropriate to most of us (myself not included).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links