Problem with a new holster

This is a discussion on Problem with a new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new leather holster for my Beretta 92FS, the only problem is, is the gun doesnt seem to go in far enough for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with a new holster

Problem with a new holster

I bought a new leather holster for my Beretta 92FS, the only problem is, is the gun doesnt seem to go in far enough for the thumb break to come far enough across to snap in. Does the holster just need to be broken in? Or do I need to return it. It says its for the Beretta 92F/96 so it should fit.

2. Remove Ads

I'd say it just needs broken in. I have a Galaco for my XD and it was the same way. I just rolled it back and forth like you would a baseball mitt, then wrapped the pistol in plastic and wax paper and seated it and unseated it several times. This worked like a charm.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Ah ok, It seemed like the trigger guard was down as far as it could go. Maybe it just needs to be worked a little. My only experience is with plastic and nylon holsters so this is my first leather. A few guys at work told me that leather conditioners for baseball mitts work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan81986 View Post
    Ah ok, It seemed like the trigger guard was down as far as it could go. Maybe it just needs to be worked a little. My only experience is with plastic and nylon holsters so this is my first leather. A few guys at work told me that leather conditioners for baseball mitts work well too.
    Don't use those...they will make the leather weak and pliable. That's not what you want for a holster. You want the holster to retain its shape and not flatten out.

Wrap the gun in plastic and push the gun in as far as it'll go. Leave it that way for an hour or so and then try to holster it and see how the thumb break works then. It may be just enough give now to allow it to click into position. You may need to leave the gun in the holster wrapped in plastic overnight, every one is different. This is because generally the leather will stretch to the thickness of the gun with the plastic and that leaves enough room for the gun to slide in and out a bit more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Don't use those...they will make the leather weak and pliable. That's not what you want for a holster. You want the holster to retain its shape and not flatten out.

Wrap the gun in plastic and push the gun in as far as it'll go. Leave it that way for an hour or so and then try to holster it and see how the thumb break works then. It may be just enough give now to allow it to click into position.
    The leather will also get worked in just by drawing and holstering repeatedly. As the leather compresses at the pressure points the gun will start to seat deeper and deeper. Whether you go the bag or repeated holstering method, I second the advice to avoid conditioners or oils if at all possible.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    The leather will also get worked in just by drawing and holstering repeatedly. As the leather compresses at the pressure points the gun will start to seat deeper and deeper. Whether you go the bag or repeated holstering method, I second the advice to avoid conditioners or oils if at all possible.
    That works too. Either way, try working it in. It's more fun to holster and draw though

Ron
    I had the same type of experience. It took some time and work, but it was worth it. The gun now fits perfectly and the draw is smooth.

My understanding is that many leather holster makers deliberately make their holsters tight fitting and expect you to "break them in." I may be wrong about this, but that has been my experience.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

If one is super tight I like to use a dress sock over night....

This link may help, its got everything in there.

Questions

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    This link may help, its got everything in there.

Questions

Alex
    Good link...clear directions. I only have used the sock or old T-shirt method...has always worked. Sometimes I've used just strips of cloth along the barrel...this has worked the best for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If the thumb snap just seems too short i use to pull on the leather stretching it til it would fold over and snap then leaving it snapped to help break it in,over time you will be able to just push it over and snap it with one hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator

Thumbs up

The way to get an exact fit.

You can dampen the strap slightly on the flesh side - wait a few minutes and start pulling on it a bit.

Then position a thin plastic bag over the top of your holstered firearm so that the slightly damp strap does not come in contact with the metal of your firearm.

Snap it and leave it snapped overnight or until the strap is fully dry.

Oh...ALWAYS check to make certain that your firearm is unloaded and also make sure that it's fully seated in the holster.

You should be good to go.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm surprised no one has said cut the thumb strap off.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to get the strap over enough to snap it in. With the help of a tiny bit of water and some leather conditioner (on the strap only) I managed to pull the strap enough to get it in. Now I'm going to leave the gun in the holster for a few days to let it set.

And yes it was unloaded.

Do not use any Mink Oil, Saddle Soaps, Neets Foot OIl or any Baseball glove conditioners as they will darken the leather and make it too soft, I posted this advice on the forum before use KIWI Nutural shoe wax, apply it with a piece of T shirt material, then let dry for a few minutes apply it on the inside & outside of the holster then buff it with another clean lint free T shirt, do this every once in awhile to all of your leather goods, belts, bags, holsters & they will keep new just like the first day that you bought them, any of the above stuff will reuin the leather, hope this tip helps all who need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links