Leather Jacket?

Leather Jacket?

This is a discussion on Leather Jacket? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Washington State and I wear a leather jacket pretty much year round. I've been trying to find someone who makes and sells ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Jacket?

Leather Jacket?

I live in Washington State and I wear a leather jacket pretty much year round. I've been trying to find someone who makes and sells leather jackets that have built in holsters. I have seen leather purses for women that have hidden pockets for handguns, just wondering if they have jackets out there. Any ideas? I Thought about crafting my own, but I have limited leather working experience and I have never made my own holster before.

Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment
    But why not go to a quality IWB holster and have it available at a moment's notice? A leather jacket does a wonderful job of concealing even a full-size pistol in a good IWB holster. Trying to reach into a pocket or concealed spot is no where near as fast as a draw from a quality holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment
    But why not go to a quality IWB holster and have it available at a moment's notice? A leather jacket does a wonderful job of concealing even a full-size pistol in a good IWB holster. Trying to reach into a pocket or concealed spot is no where near as fast as a draw from a quality holster.
    I agree, or even OWB can work depending on you and our comfort level. Many people carry a shoulder holster with a vest or jacket of some type.

Thanks for the fast reply. I currently carry a SA XD .40 on my hip and on my ankle (depending of if I'm wearing a jacket or not) My hip holster just doesn't seem to do agreat job concealing my gun while wearing my leather jacket. I'm looking to other holsters so I can carry on th einside of my pants, but the XD is a little bulky for that, it just don't feel right.

I bought a 5.11 jacket to try out before going the coronado leather route. I ended up bagging the idea of jacket carry. Just my personal experience... it didn't work for me. Instead of your gun going where you go, it goes where your jacket goes. Imagine you need to be in an office that's hot as hades... for me it didn't work out. YMMV.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by griffin7 View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply. I currently carry a SA XD .40 on my hip and on my ankle (depending of if I'm wearing a jacket or not) My hip holster just doesn't seem to do agreat job concealing my gun while wearing my leather jacket. I'm looking to other holsters so I can carry on th einside of my pants, but the XD is a little bulky for that, it just don't feel right.
    IWB takes getting used to. You just have to find the right position and right holster for your needs and comfort level. I don't think any IWB holster is going to be really so comfortable you forget it's there. OWB can be, but also can be harder to conceal depending on what you wear and all that.

Good Luck

Thanks alot for the quick replys. I really appreciate the help. I just joined this community, but so far I've already recieved great information and lots of help, thanks again.

Idealy you want to try a bunch of holsters, but to do that you gotta know someone with a bunch, know someone that has one and another guy that has something else. You won't find many of the custom leather holsters in the stores to try. That's kind of a problem really. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for and have a rig that can conceal your weapon comfortable enough for all day wear.

Great idea. Find a local forum. I offer my holsters for guys to try all the time.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've tried the vest carry with built in holster...doesn't work. First of all, the vest becomes too weighted and the vest bounces around...drawing from a vest pocked is almost impossible in a 'hurried' situation.

I'll only stick to my IWB carry, and perhaps, use a vest for cover.

Stay armed...IWB...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by griffin7 View Post
    I live in Washington State and I wear a leather jacket pretty much year round. I've been trying to find someone who makes and sells leather jackets that have built in holsters. I have seen leather purses for women that have hidden pockets for handguns, just wondering if they have jackets out there. Any ideas? I Thought about crafting my own, but I have limited leather working experience and I have never made my own holster before.
    Sig Arms makes both canvas and leather jackets with built in inside holsters.
    TopGlock was having a sale on them not too long ago, looks like they might have sold out, here's link to canvas one I found so you can see how they are made. Leather ones are more, you can probably find somewhere that carries them with a search:
    TopGlock.com: SigArms Large Black Canvas Concealed Carry Coat

Depending on where you live in Wa, theres a store in Gresham Oregon that sells the Sig Leather coats. I'm not positive about this forums rules for providing the names of buisnesses but if your close to the border PM me and I'll shoot you the name and location.

I have one of the SIG jackets and like it, unfortunatly the concealment pocket has industrial strength velcro so it is hard to get open and noisey as hell. Ive been trimming down the loop side to make it open easier and more quietly.

It would be great for those of you that work in the great outdoors though, flat out holds the gun and gets it off your belt if your doing a lot of bending and lifting too.

Winter wear only though it is really warm.

Administrator
    I have a "Shoot Through" coat that a fashion designer at A.I.P. designed and had made for me many moons ago. I still have it and I treasure it. The leather is sanded shark skin. Here is an old forum photo of it. It cost me a bundle back then and I can't even guess at what it would cost to have custom made these days.

I have a Corando leather vest it's very comfortable with no problems on draw. I wear it to church, dinner & nice dress locations. Hides my compact M&P on one side with extra mags on the other to balance weight. Sometimes it is just a nice change from holster carry and it's a good looking vest.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links