Leather Maintenance/Conditioner

This is a discussion on Leather Maintenance/Conditioner within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys use? My MTAC is trying to tell me to polish it or condition the leather but I need to know what ...

Thread: Leather Maintenance/Conditioner

Leather Maintenance/Conditioner

What do you guys use? My MTAC is trying to tell me to polish it or condition the leather but I need to know what everyone is using. I have some leather wipes and conditioners for my car and plan to use them. Any comments???? Also, I'm starting to see a lot of lint build up every day I remove my pants at night. I have to do a quick wipe down. How do you handle this issue?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    A silicone cloth is all use, most makers will advise you not to use waxes, oils, etc as they will break down and soften the leather ruining the holster over time.

TheBeltMan recommends using Obenauf Heavy Duty Leather Preservative on their belts. They claim it's won't weaken the leather and will keep it nice and stiff but prevent any cracking and whatnot.

If it's good for a heavy duty gun belt and recommended by one of the top leather workers around when it comes to making sturdy gear, then it should be ok for a holster I'd think. Word on the street is that Jim used to make holsters and actually does a couple on occation.

Holster care

I have used Saddle Soap and Neat's Foot Oil w/o issue for years. I recently found the Red Wing Oil is very nice too. I have been using it on my personal holsters and so far, so good.

I think if you go to like Kramer, Milt Sparks, Del Fatti and a few others sites, you can find various info. I think I even saw some info on Brigade's... but I am tired and may be mistaken.

Cheers!

I have an oil sponge that I use on my shoes from time to time...I will shine up my holsters a bit, too. Other than that, I don't mess with a great hoslter...it's not like it's out in the weather.

Stay armed...store the sidearm in a clean looking holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only thing I've ever used.....and probably didn't need it. I was a newbie at one time...believe it or not!
    Rosen Product Line
    Click on miscellaneous.

Obenauf Heavy Duty Leather Preservative is what I use on all my leather gear. Gun belts, holsters, even leather boots and gloves. Great stuff in my opinion/experience.

Sparks recommends Renaissance Wax only. Any penetrating oils or conditioners soften the leather, and that's the last thing you want with a quality holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I'll Ditto the Renaissance Wax as being ideal for leather that has been finished like Sparks and DelFatti. It's perfect for the task.
    You can always find it on Ebay.
    You really don't want to use any penetrating oil type conditioners on holsters as they will get soft.

Retention straps and other leather subject to bending stress can be very lightly treated
    with a few drops of LEXOL "nf" - and make certain that you buy the "nf" formulation and not the regular NeatsFoot.

Just a drop or two on the flesh side of the stressed areas of straps works wonders to replenish the natural oils that eventually get lost out of the leather.

Holsters finished like Galco can benefit by putting a couple of drops of LEXOL nf on a small square of cotton cloth and quickly wiping the entire holster and then immediately wiping it all back off again...then finish with a light coat of Renaissance Wax.

With holster leather...less is always better.

The belt slot cuts on Pancake type OWB holsters can be rubbed with Renaissance Wax on a Q-Tip and that will not damage the holster at all but helps it to slide on a gun belt easier.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

IMO, Kiwi neutral shoe polish and a buff is all that is needed.

I just checked out Renaissance Wax and it looks pretty good. Are we talking about the Micro Crystalline wax polish?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post

I just checked out Renaissance Wax and it looks pretty good. Are we talking about the Micro Crystalline wax polish?
    Yep, thats the stuff
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post

You know, that thought has actually crossed my mind a few times but I didn't follow through. I may just try this too. This is like buying a holster, you buy untill you find the one that works and it's usually after a drawer full of them.

Administrator
    Posted As A For Your Information FYI

How the "Perfect Wax" was created...

For over forty years, RENAISSANCE WAX polish from England has been the #1 choice of major museums, art galleries and institutions for the preservation of the precious pieces. Professional conservators, retailers, amateur restorers and private individuals throughout the world depend on RENAISSANCE WAX to protect their collections and for home use.

Prior to 1950, the only polishes available were based on beeswax and carnuba wax. Unfortunately, these natural, saponifiable products would cause damage when acids arose spontaneously through oxidation or hydrolysis.

To solve the problem, a consortium of international conservationists directed a scientist from the British Museum to conduct intensive research and find the "perfect wax." When he could not find any that met their exacting standards, he created a new wax in his laboratory. The revolutionary formula he invented is a semi-synthetic micro-crystalline fossil-origin wax entirely free of, damaging acids. It remains chemically neutral and is therefore completely safe, even on vulnerable surfaces.

The British Museum approved manufacture of this wax for its own use and for distribution to the public. That "perfect wax" is now available internationally under the name RENAISSANCE WAX .

CLEANS BEAUTIFULLY
    Lift oil, dirt and the murky accretions of other polishes. The surface detail remains crystal clear through unlimited applications of this translucent wax; removes previous wax build-up; reveals fine detail & wood grain; non-staining, non-abrasive.

RESTORES AND ENHANCES
    Revitalize and return your objects to pristine condition. RENAISSANCE WAX buffs easily to a hard, transparent finish that will not discolor; Renews fading colors and "tired finishes;" retains matte finish when unpolished; buffs to a high gloss; reduces shine of new picture varnish.

POLISHES AND PROTECTS
    Guard your precious pieces against the damaging effects of humidity...heat...dust... environmental destruction...aging...and ordinary wear. RENAISSANCE WAX provides a barrier against fingerprints and the devastation of water, wine, alcohol and other spills. With its high moisture resistance, it forms a durable, lustrous protective coating. prevents tarnish, corrosion and "bloom;" remains completely waterproof; retards weathering on exteriors and objects exposed to climatic abrasion.

A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY... AND LASTS A LONG TIME
    Excellent spread and indefinite shelf life make RENAISSANCE WAX economical and convenient, even for very large objects and infrequent use. A small dab goes a long way, unlike most waxes that need generous application. Use a minimal amount of RENAISSANCE WAX , rub lightly, and buff if a gloss is desired. The long-lasting preservation reduces the need for frequent maintenance. Airtight container keeps wax in perfect condition; always spreadable, no caking or drying out; indefinite shelf life; no "polish smell;" no added fragrance to endanger material.

SAFE FOR ALL THESE MATERIALS
    Wood - Raw & Finished, Leather, Parchment & Paper, Metal - Silver, Silverplate, Gold, Copper & Copper Alloys (Bronze, Brass, Tin, Zinc, German Silver, Nickel), Lead & Pewter, Iron & Iron Alloys, Tin & Tin Alloys, Damascus; Stone, Marble, Onyx, Limestone, Granite, Brick, Tile, Terrazzo, Obsidian, Alabaster; Gems, Glass, Porcelain, Holloware, Bone, Ivory, Horn, Shell & Mother-of-Pearl, Gutta Percha, Dammars; Gilding & Gold Leaf, Patinas, Enamel, Lacquer, Japanning, Cloute, Pose d'Or, Pique Point, Varnish, Marbleizing, Stains & Artificial Graining; Plastics, Formicas, Paints, Polyvinyl Acetates, Esters of Polymethyacrylic, Polycyclohexanones, Fiberglas Epoxy Resins, and much more!

USEFUL FOR ALL THESE PRODUCTS
    Furniture - Antique & New; Sculpture, Porcelain, Pottery & Ceramics; Cutlery Knives, Swords, Armor; Jewelry, Carvings, Antiquities, Bibelots, Hardware, Wood Interiors, Fine Books, Clocks, Paintings, Oils, Acrylics, Gouaches, Tempera, Alkyds, Pastels, Oil Sticks, Martins Dyes, India Inks, Photographic Prints, Carvings, Engraving, Scrimshaw, Architectural Ornaments, PLUS... Automobiles, Boats and Yachts, Decoys, Golf Clubs, Firearms, Frames, Kitchen Cabinets, Counters, Appliances, and much more!

WHO USES RENAISSANCE WAX/POLISH
    UK: British Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum, Royal Armories (Tower of London in London & Leeds, National Army Museum, Imperial War Museum, the Wallace Collection, H.M. the Queen's Royal Armorer (at Marlborough House), the Guards Museum (Wellington Barracks), the Gurkha Museum (Winchester), the Military Museums at Aldershot, Royal Green Jackets Regimental Museum, the Gunsmith at Chatham Historic Dockyard (Kent), the Johnny Armstrong Gallery, and Museum of Border Arms & Armor (Scotland), National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. Belgium: Musee Royal de l'Armee et d'Histoire Militaire-Brussels. USA: Gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg, the Smithsonian, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Academy of Art-Honolulu, Texarcana College-Bladesmithing & Metallurgy, Rockfeller Restorations, and many many more institutions around the world

Links