Retentions screws loosening

This is a discussion on Retentions screws loosening within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally found a mag carrier I liked from High Noon holsters. ( Single Skin ) I noticed one day when I took my pants ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I finally found a mag carrier I liked from High Noon holsters. (Single Skin) I noticed one day when I took my pants off that my mag went sliding across the floor. I looked at the mag carrier and over time the retention screws loosened. I retightened them but I wasn't expecting them to loosen up like that. Any one else have this issue? Do you check your retention screws on a regular basis?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I check the screws on everything from my Harley, holsters, grips, etc. If something appears to be loosening, out comes the "Titen For Bolts"...it works, and it could solve your problem.

Stay armed...a very little dab 'il do ya'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retention screws

I use a little bit of lock tite on my retention screws, etc.

You should always check the screws before use, we note that in the directions when you recieve the holster. Some people who do not want to remember to check the screws, use Loctite 222 Threadlocker, as Dave said above. Its a low strength threadlocker. Parts can be separated using hand tools. But even using the threadlocker I would check the screws each time to make sure everything was good to go.

Justin
    Last edited by High Noon; October 19th, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add words

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I check the screws on everything from my Harley, holsters, grips, etc. If something appears to be loosening, out comes the "Titen For Bolts"...it works, and it could solve your problem.

Stay armed...a very little dab 'il do ya'...stay safe!

If you own a Harley (and I do) you learn to check fasteners regularly. Loctite is a wonderful thing. There are different grades for different applications.
    Checking screws is just normal maintenance.

Lead Moderator
    If you use loc tite , use the blue color. The other colors take more effort and/or heat to release.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If you use loc tite , use the blue color. The other colors take more effort and/or heat to release.
    Exactly.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Unless the part is something you don't EVER want to loosen up...many of those items are on a Harley...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    You should always check the screws before use, we note that in the directions when you recieve the holster. Some people who do not want to remember to check the screws, use Loctite 222 Threadlocker, as Dave said above. Its a low strength threadlocker. Parts can be separated using hand tools. But even using the threadlocker I would check the screws each time to make sure everything was good to go.

Justin
    Directions! Directions? I don't read no stinkin' directions.

BTW, love the mag carrier.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Directions! Directions? I don't read no stinkin' directions.

BTW, love the mag carrier.

LoL,LOL,LOL,LOL not many people do, thats what we are here for. Enjoy the carrier.

Justin

Retention screws are for poorly built holsters. Quality rigs will hold the gun securely by their construction and boning alone.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Retention screws are for poorly built holsters. Quality rigs will hold the gun securely by their construction and boning alone.

AZ, we have read your posts on this site and others, you have too much experience and knowledge to actually believe that retention screws are for poorly built holsters. But, maybe thatís just what you have come in contact with so far. We know there are lots of junk holsters floating out on the web.

We were speaking about a mag carrier, but letís talk about holsters because you said holsters. Here is another point of view you may want to consider. Now we can only speak about High Noon Holsters as we have no experience with other makers. So here goes. First, itís much harder to design a tension screw into a holsters design. It takes much more skill of the designer and takes at least six times longer to get the design right, but we feel itís worth it. Itís also more difficult and time consuming in the molding process. Almost all of our holsters and mag carriers feature a tension setup. That setup has to be perfect, a centimeter one way it does not work, a centimeter the other way itís just too tight. This is why you do not see a lot of them out there in the market. It also costs more money to have a tension setup on a holster. The maker has to stock four more items and more assembly time out the door.

Also, the tension screw has nothing to do with the fit of the weapon to holster, its job is not to take up slop because of a bad fit. It does not work well in that role. I think thatís an internet myth anyway. And as we all know and can agree with, cow hide or horsehide or any animal's hide will stretch. This fact is documented all over the web.

On our wet molded holsters you do not need the tension screw in the beginning, but as the holster goes thru its life it may loosen up. It also may not loosen up. No one really knows. We all have different strengths in our body, are different ages and have different injuries, so whatís a sloppy draw to one, is a tight draw to another. Itís sure nice to have the option of putting more drag on the draw. Its better to have then to have not.

Think of it like an insurance policy for your holster. Itís for the future and maybe the present use of your holster. If you like to have more draw tension now you have that option, if its OK then leave it alone. But years from now the leather will inevitably stretch and the tension device will be handy to re-firm the tension on the gun to the level you want. I hope this can clear things up on our holsters with tension setups.

Take Care
    Alex

Links