Defensive Carry banner

Holster Attachment Options: MERGED

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  C9H13NO3 
#1 ·
I have been looking at different IWB holsters and have been trying to decide on how I want to secure the holster to my belt. My question is what do members of this forum prefer, the metal or kydex clips or a leather belt loop with snaps, and if you could list the pros and cons between them I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
J man

#3 ·
Depends on the holster. Kydex, I like the overhooks (kydex clips). Leather I like the snap loops.

#4 ·
I've have a number of IWB holsters with a variety of attachment methods. First, I'm with JD 100% on the metal clips. In addition to his comments, the clip is in the center of the holster which adds width to the holster and allows it to pivot too much.

I have recently started carrying my G17 in a CTAC. I ordered it with the C clips (Kydex) and ordered a set of standard clips (also Kydex). I switched to the standard clips and like them much better.

The standard clips have a beveled 'nose' to ease sliding over the belt and they are easy to remove, and they hold the gun securely.

I've used the leather straps too, I think they're a little more trouble to get on the belt than the Kydex. You just push the Kydex clips down and they pretty much attach. The leather straps have to be fed under the belt, brought back up and snapped - it's harder than it sounds.

#5 ·
Well I DO like the metal clips...most of my Fist holsters have them. Some I've used for over 6 years and the clips still work very well...well enough to work without a belt (although I do use a belt, I'm just saying...)
Metal clips on Fist holsters are easy on/off, and really hold well. OMO

#6 ·
I don't care for metal clips either but the CTAC plastic clips are great, I love the standard clips on my MTAC. I've never had an issue with pulling the holster out of my pants, even when the MTAC had my Commander locked in tight before I figured out the twist trick. Gave myself a wedgie, but the holster did not budge!

#8 ·
My Glock is like that a bit too. The leather isn't really stiff and the leather has no mold whatsoever for the gun. So when you wear it and the leather attempts to mold to the contours of your body, it creates a hump right where the gun is holstered. This hump presses the gun a bit more firmly into the kydex shell. This in turn causes the gun to be tighter in the holster and harder to unholster.

The biggest flaw in the design IMO, but it works itself in a bit over time.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the imput so far, I have been leaning more towards the leather loops with snaps, do to the fact that I wear a brown belt so they would blend in better than metal or kydex clips.

I have been weighing the option of getting a tuckable holster but most of the IWB holsters that I have seen with this option use metal or kydex clips. Does anyone know of a holster that is tuckable that uses the leather belt loops?

#18 ·
#12 ·
I prefer a widely spaced set of leather loops like the Sparks VM2 for stability. I've tried them all, and the single clip was the worst for me. It rocked back and forth. I want my gun to be rock steady. I don't care for clips either. I don't take my holster on and off. It goes on in the morning, and off at night. It's easier for me to thread my belt through the loops while my jeans are off than to try to install the holster while I'm wearing them.

#13 ·
I use up to four different solutions.

1. Metal over the belt clips. Easy on and off, holds well and very thin. You can snag things and cause the clip to bend or cause marks or even rips on leather chairs and could come off when drawing.
2. Metal 'J' clips that go under the belt with the j-clip holding on to the bottom of the belt. Will never come off when drawing and low profile. Can cause marks on leather chairs and will be harder to de-holster than a normal clip.
3. Leather loops with snap closure. Best of all worlds. Very secure attachment, get the same color as holster/belt for low profile showing and will no mar furniture. Will generally be thicker than a metal clip.
4. Closed leather loops. Very low profile, very secure attachment and no snap to see and wonder "What the heck is that?" You will have to remove the belt from the holster to get it off. Who would want this? A few customers of mine a in the government security business that need the most low profile tuckable solution choose it.

#19 ·
I'll chime in as a daily IWB tucker. My vote goes for velcro. Velcro on the 'clip' and velcro on the inside of the belt. There's no shifting, a solid weight carrying connection and a simple pull apart & lift on each clip disconnects the holster from the belt. The best part is total stealth as nothing shows up on the outside of the belt.

#20 ·
Belt attachment options

just opinion searching, j hooks or leather loops for comfort?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.