Value of a good gunbelt

This is a discussion on Value of a good gunbelt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a note for any of you who might be struggling with the "Do I really need one of those belts?" question. I'm a big ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a good gunbelt

Value of a good gunbelt

Just a note for any of you who might be struggling with the "Do I really need one of those belts?" question. I'm a big guy...6-2 270 lbs. Carry a full size aluminum frame 1911 in a Sparks VM-II. I've always used suspenders to help carry the load of the gun / holster. With a cheap belt alone; I was constantly hitching up my pants...not good if you are trying to remain discreet.

I finally bought a good gunbelt. (Beltman) Now I no longer need the suspenders. It's obviously much more comfortable without them; and I no longer have to worry about looking like a low-water pants gang banger.

Good luck to all. Stay safe and concealed.

pcctex

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Highnoon belt from ICTsnub after carrying for 8+ years with cheap walmart type belts. The difference is amazing!! My back no longer hurts and I'm not pulling up my pants every 3 minutes. I'm not cheap, just didn't think a belt would make such a difference.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Its half a system w/out a quality gun belt.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

jfl
    +1 !!!
    I've carried for years OWB and IWB with leather dress belts (1 1/4"), and recently I had a chance to try a "real" gun belt with a stiffener insert. I does make a BIG difference in comfort, much more than I thought it would.
    So I bought one ...

That's one of the many things I learned on this forum
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Yep, this forum helped me see the light on this too!! Big difference.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

IWB carry allows the pant waistband to help hold the gun in a little without a good gunbelt. But even then, a good stiff belt helps a lot.

With OWB - a good, proper stiffened belt is essential IMO.

I have a couple of 1&1/4" Loopers that I paid around $30 for online. One is brown and the other is black. They have a Kydex insert. They aren't the fanciest belts in the world but they are doing the trick for now, even when I dress up. If they start to show too much wear, I'll definately be investing in another proper carry belt.

We can make due without a proper gunbelt. But, wow, what a difference in concealability and comfort in most cases.

The real heavy belts just didn't look right with dress slacks, so Nate at UBG sent me a scrap of shark. It's thin and looks dressy, but it's one stout belt!

Quality belts are just important as quality holsters. Every once in a while someone posts what they found by buying a good holster...it's like a light goes on...well, it's the same with a good belt.

Stay armed...use quality gear...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A bad belt is like watching a good action movie on HD and no surround sound. You just don't know what sounds you are missing until you get that system.

The Belt Man got me set up. 1.25" stout bull hide even looks good with a suit.

It's funny to watch people swear up and down that their WalMart belt is more than good enough as a gun belt. Then they finally get a real belt and their eyes bug out.

See the same thing with holsters - "my $9.95 floppy fabric holster does just as good as a Milt Sparks".

Joe

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I just ordered myself a Beltman. The wait begins
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I've got a great belt - as long as I don't wear a gun. It's hand made from thick stout leather. But it's single ply and doesn't take advantage of multiple layers of leather and the strength that brings. After carrying for 2 weeks (and because I know and respect the opinions of people on here), I ordered one of these to replace it:

Gould & Goodrich | B52 Pants Belt

It's not a super nice belt, but I figure its multi-layered should be pretty well built... here's hoping it works out well - I'll let you guys know once I get it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I just received two 1.5" Beltman belts on my birthday a couple of days ago. They look fantastic. Work great. I am now going to order a couple more in 1.25" for a dressier look. Beltman is the only way to go.

A proper gun belt is IMO more important than a good holster. You can likely get away with a basic Galco holster, but you can't carry that 5" 1911 on a department store belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links