Who uses Michaels of Oregon (Uncle Mike's) for CC or range use?

This is a discussion on Who uses Michaels of Oregon (Uncle Mike's) for CC or range use? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all have guns that we probably wouldn't have bought had then not been such a deal. Maybe it's a S&W Sigma, a Taurus, or ...

Thread: Who uses Michaels of Oregon (Uncle Mike's) for CC or range use?

We all have guns that we probably wouldn't have bought had then not been such a deal. Maybe it's a S&W Sigma, a Taurus, or even *gasp* a hi-point. (Not knocking these brands. I've never had a bad experience with an S&W Sigma or a Taurus myself). Since we paid so little for it, we really don't want to outfit it with a lot of expensive accessories, but we still need to keep it stocked with enough options (holsters, extra mags, etc) that it would be serviceable if one of our better guns weren't working. Which brings us to this issue:

If you had a couple of second-fav guns that you wanted to outfit for range use/cc/oc, would you look at Uncle Mike's holsters? A lot of my coworkers use this brand for their ankle holsters, but I just found out they make belt holsters for CC (paddle and others). Anyone have experience with these? Photos, as always, are welcome.

You can find their website at Uncle Mikes-The Consumer Link -
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Any company that groups it's holsters by "ABC" or "123" instead of for a specific firearm will have no place in my collection. If something fits several guns, it fits nothing well. Save a few more bucks and buy gun-specific. Holsters and belts are probably one of the best examples of "you get what you pay for".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Any company that groups it's holsters by "ABC" or "123" instead of for a specific firearm will have no place in my collection. If something fits several guns, it fits nothing well. Save a few more bucks and buy gun-specific. Holsters and belts are probably one of the best examples of "you get what you pay for".
    Well, get what you pay for is true to an extent. You can buy a Raven Concealment Kydex rig for $65 and when it comes to kydex it's about as good as you can get.

Leather does tend to cost more though.

It's all a matter of perspective. What do you want to do with it, what are you looking for, and what do you expect from the product.

True. If you want an unfitted nylon bag with some sort of strap to carry a device you trust your life to, Uncle Mike's is for you.

I have heard good things about Raven's stuff, but I'm a leather guy.

True. If you want an unfitted nylon bag with some sort of strap to carry a device you trust your life to, Uncle Mike's is for you.

I have heard good things about Raven's stuff, but I'm a leather guy.
    I talk to people at a local shop that stocks some Uncle mikes and Galco stuff. For some guys who just buy a Glock 26 to "carry sometimes" the holsters that offer a semi-universal fit really fit the bill quite literally. They probably won't want to spend $60+ on a custom holster regardless of how great a difference it is. They then need a proper belt and are looking at at least a month's wait before they can carry. I learned a lot quickly and skipped past all the clip on nylon stuff. Some people don't have the desire to carry daily so a custom rug isn't necessary and the price, not warranted.

Having said that, I do encourage people to look beyond what is on the store shelves.

Kydex vs Leather? I think I decided I like leather for a stainless or all metal gun (1911, sig, CZ etc) while I think Kydex fits better in with a Glock, XD, M&P, or HK.

Don't ask me why, but I just thought about it and think a shiny stainless 1911 looks great poking out of a shiny new leather holster. While a utilitarian service weapon like Glock just fits in with a kydex rig.

The guys at the local gunshops swear by Uncle Mike's, Fobus, and Galco. Not because they're any good, but because that's what they stock. They are also the same guys who will swear that Redfield makes as good a scope as Swarovski. They have the Redfields in stock. There is a very good reason the top manufacturers have a waiting list. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to carry a gun, the holster, belt, and mag pouch are as important as the firearm.

I have a couple of the Uncle Mike's Kydex Internal Retention holsters.

Kydex Internal Retention Holsters

They provide the ability to adjust weapon retention, are durable, inexpensive and most importantly fit my needs while at the range.

You wouldn't catch me wearing one when carrying concealed though. That's what the MTAC and Desbiens is for.

I proudly use a "Uncle Mikes" #1 pocket holster($7) for my P3AT, when wearing cheap cargo shorts and tighter fitting jeans. When wearing slacks or khakis, I've got my "R J Hedley"($40+) beauty's

The UM works well with flat bottom cargo shorts because it doesn't 'roll' as much. And even though larger than the more expensive leather, conceals better in tighter fitting clothing.

Uncle Mikes pocket holsters are hard to beat.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I've got a soft spot for the Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I left the DMV from getting my CCH printed, went to Sportsman's Warehouse, bought a UM pocket for my 640, crammed it in my jeans, and hit the Walmart next door. Even though I now own quality leather, I grabbed it a couple days ago to run in the store for a can of beans.

Bought one Uncle Mikes tried it gave it to the dog who wouldn't even eat it.

I had an Uncle Mike for my first season of IPSC. What a piece of crap that holster was. These days nothing will touch my gun that has the words "uncle" or "mike" on it.

PM
    I use an uncle mike's IWB as my CC holster. Would I tell any one else to do so. No, it works fine as long as I do not have to drop pants to say use the can. If that has to occur I must make sure to hold the gun/area where the gun is as I retreve my pants to the desired position or the gun may fall to the floor; as it did once in a Walgreen rest room. I either need a stiffer belt or a stiffer/more retaining holster. The holster is the fabric type not leather.

The guys at the local gunshops swear by Uncle Mike's, Fobus, and Galco. Not because they're any good, but because that's what they stock. They are also the same guys who will swear that Redfield makes as good a scope as Swarovski. They have the Redfields in stock. There is a very good reason the top manufacturers have a waiting list. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to carry a gun, the holster, belt, and mag pouch are as important as the firearm.
    I'm talking to cops, and other shooters. Not owners. The owner of the shop carries a pocket gun (airweight .357mag). So what I'm saying is that a lot of the guys come in not wanting to spend tons of cash on a real nice holster because they aren't sure how often they'll carry, whether they'll like it or whatever.

Links