Bluegrass Holster's Mason-Dixon

This is a discussion on Bluegrass Holster's Mason-Dixon within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in June I ordered a Mason-Dixon from Brock at Bluegrass Holsters. It's a tuckable IWB/OWB convertible holster. It's my first holster (aside from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

Back in June I ordered a Mason-Dixon from Brock at Bluegrass Holsters. It's a tuckable IWB/OWB convertible holster. It's my first holster (aside from a Galco paddle and the poly holster that came with my Springer - neither of which were suitable for CC) so I wanted something that had a good bit of adjustability.

There were some issues in production and instead of getting it mid August I got it the first week of October. That's fine - I'm still waiting on my CHL anyway and Brock was real good about keeping me updated and putting up with my weekly Friday morning emails.

The holster was not at all what I expected (like I said I have no real experience with things like this). It was thin and stiff - which it has to be, but, again, wasn't what I expected. From the pictures of other's holsters I expected it to be thick and more supple - which really wouldn't work for a holster, but that's what the pictures had portrayed to me. Holding one in your hand is way different.

I bent one of the struts for the belt loop 5 minutes after putting it on as I attempted to draw my pistol from it IWB. Turns out it was really stinking tight on my gun. Brock overnighted a replacement and I proceeded to break the holster in OWB.

All that said, it appears well constructed - the stitching is nice and solid and the boning looks pretty good to my inexperienced eye. There's a little bit of a rough edge on the sweat shield, but then again, I intend to wear this IWB and don't plan on any of it showing ever - so I'm okay with that.

Comfort wise, I don't have anything to compare it to - but it rides very comfortably (especially since I've now found my sweet spot - right about 3 o'clock, maybe 3:30). If it weren't for my pants being a little too tight for IWB (except for one pair of jeans I've bought since starting this CHL thing) and my belt not quite being up to snuff (I have to keep hiking my pants back up) I think I'd almost forget it's there. Certainly the weight of a government sized all steel 1911 doesn't seem to be beyond it's capabilities (barring my other gear).

All in all I'm very pleased with the product and with Brock's service. And now for the obligatory pics...

Note: All scratches are my fault and did not come on the holster from Brock... What can I say? I'm rough on everything.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Very nice looking leather!

I think you have yourself a winner there...you'll soon discover the importance of a quality holster, and over time you will appreciate the $$ spent...you get what you pay for.

Stay armed...buy a good holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow! I like that one.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

GET A GUNBELT! Without one, you only have a portion of your gear. It's like trying to hang a mirror on soggy drywall without one.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Yup, I've learned that already and have one on order from here:

Gould & Goodrich | B52 Pants Belt

Like most people I'm not swimming with money, I'm hoping this one will fit the bill - I've found I think 2 reviews of people using them and liking them and no mention of them anywhere else, so here's hoping my experiment works!

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

JD
    Administrator
    Is your left side grip panel cracked?

It sure is. I cracked it right before that picture while swapping out grip panels.

MGD
    Great looking leather!

...now post some pics of the springer

Very nice !
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I have the same holster, but when I got mine I think he was calling it the ghost or something. Anyway I love it. More often than not I'll carry it OWB, but it works well IWB as well.

Enjoy

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Just a word of warning, That G&G belt is not designed for CC. The leather is thin
    and will not support the weight of your gun for long. You'll be much better off getting a belt from Galco or one of the custom holster makers.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Looks like a nice rig. After about 100 hours of use, it will break in and feel better.

Info

Very nice rig.

I agree with the others, you need a good thick belt.

If money in an issue, check out Ross belts. They are a holster company from South Africa. I puchased one in 2004 and wore it everyday for about 3 years while working in the gun store. It is very sturdy and the price was right. It looks kinda rough now, but I am going to redye it and polish back up to par.

If you want more info on them, send me a PM and I can let you know where to get one for a good price.

Cheers!

NICE !!

Congrats on the new gear, it looks really good! Check out the beltman for a belt. They are about $70 and worth every penny. You only have to buy a good product once.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links