Belts - Crossbreed vs. Comp-tac vs. Beltman

This is a discussion on Belts - Crossbreed vs. Comp-tac vs. Beltman within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so here's the deal. I'm new into CCW. In fact, I haven't taken my class yet, but will be in the next week to 10 ...

View Poll Results: Which of these 3 belts would you choose?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crossbreed

11 12.50%
  • Comp-tac

5 5.68%
  • Beltman

50 56.82%
  • all are good, you can't go wrong with any of these 3.

22 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belts - Crossbreed vs. Comp-tac vs. Beltman

so here's the deal. I'm new into CCW. In fact, I haven't taken my class yet, but will be in the next week to 10 days. I'll be carrying a full size M&P .40 IWB (might possibly use the K&D OWB in the winter from time to time). Have a K&D Thunderbird on order (be here around end of Jan/first of Feb). Will probably purchase a Crossbreed Supertuck to carry me thru til then...and to use in conjunction with my Thunderbird. After pouring over all the info I can find, I realize and understand that a good gun belt is a must...and am ok with that. But the more I read, the more I can't make up my mind. I've narrowed it down to 3 options: Crossbreed, Comp-tac, and Beltman.

regardless of which one it is, I want a brown 1.5" with velcro (I'll have to tuck at work - no way out of this). I read (from their sites) that the Beltman has two pieces of 6-7 oz bullhide leather sewn together. Crossbreed says it uses 1 piece of 8-9 oz latigo leather backed by a piece of 4 -5 oz top grain cowhide. Comptac...well...I'm not real sure, but they automatically put a strip of Kydex in it. They all apparently have great reputations and thier own followings. the comptac and beltman only have a year warranty...but crossbreed (as with their holsters) offers a 2 week trail period and then a LIFETIME warranty.

I've heard such great things about Crossbreed, but haven't seen or heard about many who have thier belts yet. Everybody swears Beltman hung the moon and it seems as though his website offers more "options" when ordering as far as type and color of buckle, number of holes and spacing, taper, etc. The Comp-tac actually appeals to me more just looking at the pictures.

which would you choose of the three....an no...there isn't a "none of the above"...or "I wouldn't choose any of them".

Can I possibly go wrong with any of them? would one last longer then the others? is there one that is more sturdy of the group? HELP!!!
    FOM

** edit** Mark...please feel free to offer any insight here...I appreciate your way of doing business and the reputation your company has!
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

I was battling which maker to go with for my belts. I narrowed it down to Crossbreed and The Beltman. I have a Crossbreed holster that I love. But I did purchase a 5.11 "leather" belt against the advice of this and other boards - took about 5 weeks of regular wear to start pealing around the internal stiffner. Since so many recommended The Beltman. I ordered a couple from him. They arrived the 16th of the month - I love them. I am going to order two more in 1.25 . I don't have any of the other ones you mentioned - but I think Crossbreed or Beltman would get my vote out of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherofman View Post
    ... I'll be carrying a full size M&P .40 IWB .... I want a brown 1.5" with velcro (I'll have to tuck at work - no way out of this)....
    I've only owned Beltman for a while; I'm sure you'll get opinions from folks who have owned all three (I'll be surprised if you get anyone saying they've found anything better than the beltman, though).

My real comment was: that's quite a bit of gun to be tucking in a situation where it sounds like concealment must be pretty much perfect? Have you tried to simulate the actual concealment situation with that baby yet?

- OS

I own a Crossbreed holster but my belt is a Beltman and both are great.

While I have no experience with Crossbreed belts, if they are as good as their holsters I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. In fact when I settle on my next CCW it will be holstered in a Crossbreed and I might just order a belt from Crossbreed while I'm at it!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    My real comment was: that's quite a bit of gun to be tucking in a situation where it sounds like concealment must be pretty much perfect? Have you tried to simulate the actual concealment situation with that baby yet?

- OS
    just unloaded () without a holster or belt (because right now I don't have either) and I think it might be possible. sure it won't be as flexible as a compact, but I'm hopeful I can pull it off. If not, then it'll have to stay in the truck while I'm at the office . I'm a pretty big guy at 6'4" and about 265...so I"m hoping that on my frame I can make that big gun disappear. I'm sure it'll take a lot of trying to find the "perfect spot" and cant and all, but I'm going to try and make it work...as it's my only handgun right now (and will have to if I'm going to carry!)

I have four gun belts, a Beltman, two Ligers, and a Cabella's. All of them do the job. There is no question that the Beltman is the highest quality of the four, but it is also the most expensive and had the longest wait time.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

what difference (if any) will there be in the stiffness, durability, etc of the belt with the difference in leather weight between the crossbreed belt and the beltman belt?

with it being my first time to CCW and carrying a full size, I want to make sure I get one that will support the gun well, but won't be so stiff it's uncomfy to wear.

I don't think that any of them would disappoint you...it's a matter of person preference and cost...

Your call!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Crossbreed, and like it. I don't know anything about the others, but I am sure they are fine belts. I would have to say if your going to be purchasing a Super Tuck holster, you might as well have them throw a belt in the package when they ship it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I... if your going to be purchasing a Super Tuck holster, you might as well have them throw a belt in the package when they ship it.
    very true...that would be the "easy way"

I voted Comp-Tac only because I ordered the belts with my second holster from them.....they had just come out with the belts and I thought 'what the hey, why not'.

Personally I think you wont go wrong with any of 'em and certinally the Beltman has a following here. Ultimatly it'd be you wearing 'em so go with your gut after reading up on 'em and you won't go wrong.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

so....if one was to go with the Beltman....is the 1.5" bullhide without stiffner (because I want velcro and can't get both - it'd make it too thick) going to be sturdy enough to fully support a full size M&P .40....or would the horsehide be better. Is the horsehide that much stiffer/durable? still comfy? having never carried before, I want to make sure I get enough belt to take care of carrying my gun well!

Quote Originally Posted by fisherofman View Post
    so....if one was to go with the Beltman....is the 1.5" bullhide without stiffner (because I want velcro and can't get both - it'd make it too thick) going to be sturdy enough to fully support a full size M&P .40....or would the horsehide be better. Is the horsehide that much stiffer/durable? still comfy? having never carried before, I want to make sure I get enough belt to take care of carrying my gun well!
    The bullhide standard belt can support a full size 1911 with 2 mags on the weak side while it's off my body. Very little flop.

I've actually stepped on it when it happen to fall to the floor and it seriously felt like I stepped on a rock. It will break in somewhat, but it will be perfectly fine for your M&P I guarantee.

I bought a crossbread holster, very impressed. then needed a belt, went to a gun show there was a guy with a very small set uo, he was making his own right there, i asked if his belts compared to other high quality belts, he replied with "I am in my own catagory, nothin wrong with the others belts, but mine are the best" he rambled on for a bit then showed me a couple on hand. very freakin nice two layered bridal saddle leather. he was proud of them, so i wandered off. bought one through crossbread and it is a nice belt, but i have some cracks at the buckle loop end, i oiled it and took great care of it, sadly to say it was replaced at the next gun show, i don't know the guys name, he doesn't have a store per say, nor website he travels from gun show to gun show. i payed either 75 or 80 cash and have not looked back at my crossbread belt since. but i will be buying yet another holster from crossbread with out hesitation.
    i have no experience with comp-tac or beltman

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The bullhide standard belt can support a full size 1911 with 2 mags on the weak side while it's off my body. Very little flop.

I've actually stepped on it when it happen to fall to the floor and it seriously felt like I stepped on a rock. It will break in somewhat, but it will be perfectly fine for your M&P I guarantee.
    good deal...didn't know if horsehide would be needed or not...sounds like from your experience and the info on his website that it isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links