An Excellent Argument Against Small of Back Carry

This is a discussion on An Excellent Argument Against Small of Back Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oy... I've been doing a few household jobs for my mother all week long, and this morning's task seem simpled enough: pack up and store ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oy...

I've been doing a few household jobs for my mother all week long, and this morning's task seem simpled enough: pack up and store a few boxes in the attic. It was 8 not too large boxes, light stuff, nothing over 25 pounds. Piece of cake right? I didn't expect it to take 20 minutes to get them all up there once the boxes were taped shut.

I had about half of the load up before coming back down for the other half, when lo and behold the folding ladder into the attic buckled on me, throwing me completely off balance. I managed to grab one side of the hatch and dangled there by one arm for perhaps 2 seconds before slipping, although it felt like half a minute.

I came down pretty hard, and managed somehow to hit the refridgerator as I did. Smashed right up against it, and then hit the concrete, with the small of my back crashing into the base of the ladder.

It felt wonderful. Not only was it like being kicked in the small of the back by Chuck Norris, it knocked the living snot out of me. Sadly I've been in this situation before and I know the only and best thing you can do is lie there and try to think of something pleasant while air refills your lungs and you have the power to move again.

Anyway I said a few choice words I am glad no one was around to hear and finished up. Smarts a little bit, but no harm done except to my ego.

I was reflecting almost immediately thereafter however how I had crashed into the ladder on the small of my back, and how despite how much it hurt, the impact was actually spread out over across the entire width of my back and not concentrated on my spine. If I'd had a gun there that really could have been bad. I might still be in the floor because I'm the only one here for several hours yet.

I was carrying at the time at 2:30 IWB, and am glad I was because I didn't land on my gun. Even if I had I think the worst consequence would have been a bruised hip.

Something to think about.

You should never carry directly over your spine in the middle of the back for this very reason.

Euc,

Sounds like you had a rough morning! Glad everything was cool and your not hurt other than your pride. I agree with small of back carry being possibly not as smart, I do however carry about 4:30 it is the only way I feel comfortable with IWB anyway and with the Max-Con V cant I think, 25 degrees! it carries well that way and is away from my spine.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - glad only dignity hurt rather than severe physical damage!

I have an SOB rig and it is a nice example by Horseshoe leather. It has a cant angle of about 45 or so - but I would not wear it central. The only time I tried it was sitting it at about 5.0 to 5.50 and then it sat pretty well - and probably would not then represent any major risk to spine per se. It is a good concealment option but - just find my 3.30 OWB better, much as anything cos my concealment clothing options are more than adequate to do the job.

I have a pic of it -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Hummmmmmm.....Last time I fell over backwards...I think I was 1.5 years old.

Lead Moderator
    I've seen horror stories about SOB wear on other forums. They were bad enough that I decided a long time ago not to ever carry that way if there were any other option.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Sob

It's possible to carry slightly off to the side of the spine without any problems.
    The SOB holster configuration is very nice for "to the rear" near "6" carry.
    And...absolutely if you tend to fall down often...choose a different carry location.

I carry a pancake on the right, and here in Mi. it is a messy winter. Now saying that, last night on the way out to the PU I was walking in the center of the drive to stay out of the snow BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! It was all ice and standing water and all I had on was my tennis shoes. Well you al know where this is heading, I did a wonderfull back flip and landed squarely on my back, head went CRACK on the ice, spine and left ankle went crack too. I was lucky, laying there in the water on the ice I was fully aware of the whole sequence of what had just happend, only browned out for a sec. It was at this point I decided it was a good idea not to move untill I could acces my condition. Other than a brused tail bone and very sore side and a very minor sprain I am undammaged. The HK stayed in the holster and never got in the way of my high speed trip to the ground.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I too am glad to hear that you weren't hurt. I would guess that an S.O.B. would have left you seriously (and possibly permanently) injured.
    For years I have refused to make such holsters for this very reason.
    Their other major drawback is that they are darn near impossible to draw from when seated.
    Overall, I consider them to be the worst possible carry technique.

Hummmmmmm.....Last time I fell over backwards...I think I was 1.5 years old.
    Once, when walking down a flight of wooden steps in college wearing wet combat boots, my foot slipped right out from under me. I landed directly on my back across those steps.

It is EASY to fall on ice. I once fell on a Galco SOB ten or so years ago with a 640 Centennial so attached. Believe me, even back then, before I had this back injury, the pain was akin to being kicked in the family jewels.

You don't want any of that....
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    One time I got too drunk and fall down, but have never had a SOB holster so I was OK. Plus pain isn't that bad when your to drunk to walk

Ive slipped a fell few time work related of course i wouldnt want the gun anywhere behind me if off to the sides

Just a question - If they were that dangerous wouldn't Holster makers have been sued by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Just a question - If they were that dangerous wouldn't Holster makers have been sued by now?
    Some have, I'm sure. That's why we have those Liability Disclaimers and product liability insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links