Looking to get a Holster for Concealment ??

This is a discussion on Looking to get a Holster for Concealment ?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK Just join this forum. I received my CCW permit 2 weeks ago and I now can conceal. I currently have a SIG P245, My ...

Thread: Looking to get a Holster for Concealment ??

OK

Just join this forum.

I received my CCW permit 2 weeks ago and I now can conceal.

I currently have a SIG P245, My wifes pistol is a KAHR TP9.

I am looking to carry the P245, I know nothing about holsters.

So, Here are my questions.

1) How does one purchase a holster sight unseen from these web-sites and know it is going to work for you ? Do they let you try before you buy ?

2) What do I need to look for in a Holster, I am leaning towards the IWB type.

3) It appears from the different Videos that the IWB seems the best to conceal without gettig in the way, Is that True ?? Should I be looking at other methods to carry ?

4) What is diffienet between OWB and IWB. Is the OWB just a standard Holster for open-carry ? Does it hang off your hip exposed and need some type of jacket to cover it ? I would not want to have to wear a coat, living in AZ is hot and don't need the extra clothing.

5) One of the guys mentioned in my introduction that leather is the best option for concealment, is that true ?

6) What about "Plastics", are they considered junk ?

7) Is the "You get what you pay for" true for the holster world ? and what would be a price range to look for in researching for ? Does the $70-$100 dollar range adaquate for a good quality holster. I seen some on the web for $30, but I think they may be junk.

8) What functions Should I look for and what features are considered that "I can not live with out ?" I really do not know what features exists in holsters. The only thing I know so far is "Slide gun in, Slide gun out"

Thanks

Marty

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post

1) How does one purchase a holster sight unseen from these web-sites and know it is going to work for you ? Do they let you try before you buy ?
    Generally, no there is no "try it before you buy it from websites"
    You don't know if "X" or "Y" is going to work out, the best you can do is read on up what people here use and how they rate.

There are plenty of good threads, and plenty of good holster makers out there to read and choose from.

Any holster should be MADE for the gun your carrying, generally the generic holsters offer poor fit and retention, stay away from nylon IWB holsters. I prefer rigs with offset mounting attachments as they provide better balance and weight distribution as well as not adding thickess
    3) It appears from the different Videos that the IWB seems the best to conceal without gettig in the way, Is that True ?? Should I be looking at other methods to carry ?
    It all depends on body type, some have better success with OWB vs IWB.

4) What is diffienet between OWB and IWB. Is the OWB just a standard Holster for open-carry ? Does it hang off your hip exposed and need some type of jacket to cover it ? I would not want to have to wear a coat, living in AZ is hot and don't need the extra clothing.
    This all depends on the holster, the gun, and again body type, most do not "hang off" and some are very flat and easy to conceal under a shirt

5) One of the guys mentioned in my introduction that leather is the best option for concealment, is that true ?
    No, leather and Kydex (not cheap plastic) are both good to go, in most cases the Kydex holsters are thinner.

This really depends on what "plastics" we're taking about, see my above comment.

7) Is the "You get what you pay for" true for the holster world ? and what would be a price range to look for in researching for ? Does the $70-$100 dollar range adequate for a good quality holster. I seen some on the web for $30, but I think they may be junk.
    In most cases, yes, I'd say anywhere from $50 on up. I have spent over $100 but that was only once I figured what my best method to conceal was, then again I probably spent close to $300 find thing that out.
    8) What functions Should I look for and what features are considered that "I can not live with out ?" I really do not know what features exists in holsters. The only thing I know so far is "Slide gun in, Slide gun out"
    The holster should not be painful to wear, it should hold the gun securely so that if you were to stand on your head the gun wouldn't come out. The holster should mount your belt/trousers securely, it should not be able to be removed by another party. The holster should conceal well and not look like a gun shaped tumor on your hip.

It should stay put and not shift. It should be made for the gun you carry, IMHO it should also have a small tab between the rear portion of the slide and your body.

You may find these links helpful, also, don't forget to get a good quality gun belt.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ers-101-a.html

The Unsung Hero of Concealed Carry

1) Purchasing a holster will make or break your carrying experience. A lot of makers have a decent return policy. My suggestion would be to get an adjustable holster rather than one with a permanent cant, at least that way you can decide what position is better for you before you purchase a custom made non-adjustable holster. I did this, I went with a crossbreed supertuck which is adjustable, prior to ordering a custom non-adjustable holster.

2/3) It all depends. You are in Arizona, so I imagine cover garments are rare. If you carry concealed owb, you would need a jacket/shirt to cover it up. Personally I carry iwb. I am a semi-thin guy and rarely wear a cover garment, so i found IWB to be best for me. This is a matter of personal preference though. The p245 is a decent sized gun, and would probably be easier to conceal iwb. If you go owb, I find that a high-ride holster works best, but like I said I go with iwb.

4) OWB holster can be standard for the range and open carry, IWB is generally for concealement. The holster both iwb/own are not supported by your pants, or hip, they are supported by a belt. The belt is just as important as the holster. Not having a good belt, is like building a nice house on a swamp rather than building that home on a concrete foundation.

5) Leather is generally preferred by people who carry IWB. Leather feels nicer against the skin, is generally less likely to effect the finish on your gun, will mold to your body shape, and has good retention properties. That being said, there are quite a few good kydex holsters as well. There are also leather/kydex holsters. These generally use Kydex for the outer side of the holster and use leather for the side against your body. this aids in comfort.

6) Plastics are not junk at all. Kydex has it's purpose. Leather is generally more comfortable though.

7) You get what you pay for is generally true. Although some holsters have quite a long wait list, cost 3 times as much as other holsters and in my opinion are simply not worth the trouble and wait it takes to get them. Comp-tac holsters are excellent leather/kydex mixes and can be on your hip in a week. Other "custom" makes have anything from a few months to a year waiting period. High noon makes some pretty good generic holsters. I use one at times simply because it is easy on and off, and was in my mailbox in a few days. This fills the need for a holster while I wait on my custom made holster. There are some very good holster makers out there. Look through the holster thread and get some ideas.

8) Some holsters come with thumb breaks, which is generally not recommended for a self defense gun. Some holsters are adjustable, which if it is your first holster, and you don't know yet how you like to carry, thats nice to have. You can adjust the holster and find the "sweet spot" for you to carry it. Some holsters have exotic skins. This is nice I guess, but for a concealement holster nobody sees, I simply don't see the point in that. Some iwb holsters offer different types of clips and loops. Clips are usually easier on and off, loops snap around your belt. Holsters with an offset clip tend to be easier to conceal iwb. If the belt clip is on top of the gun, well than it just adds thickness.

REMEMBER: Without a good belt the holster won't live up to it's full potential. I have had good luck with Dickies walmart belts, but now have a beltman and can see there is a world of difference between the two.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

First, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    OK

Some, like Crossbreed, let you try it for 2 weeks. I'm not sure of any other maker that allows this.

For an IWB, some type of body/sweat shield may be preferable. Adjustable cant is nice. Generally, you want any concealment holster to pull the gun tightly into your body. A good gun belt aids in conjunction with a good holster will help that tremendously. You want a tight fit...tight enough that the gun will stay in the holster when placed inside it and turned upside down, but not so tight that you can't get the gun out when drawing, or when you try to draw, you yank the holster off your belt.

Material is personal preference. You generally have the choice of leather, kydex, or a leather-kydex hybrid. My Crossbreed Supertuck is a leather-kydex hybrid.

It depends on the gun you want to carry, your usual wardrobe, body type, etc. Some people, just can't carry IWB, for any one of the reasons mentioned. Very subjective question. In my opinion, IWB is the best way for ME to carry. Your mileage may vary.

The names are pretty self-explanatory.

IWB = Inside Waistband. The holster is worn INSIDE the waistband of your pants/skirt/kilt; ideally, supported by a belt, but not always. There are variations that will even allow you to wear the rig inside a tucked shirt, in case you have to dress all fancy.

OWB = Outside Waistband. The holster is worn OUTSIDE the waistand of your pants/skirt/kilt, hanging off the belt. Depending on the specific holster, it may be one designed for concealment (pulls the gun close to your body and can be easily concealed by a long t-shirt, overshirt, jacket, etc.), or it's more like a duty holster.

It is entirely possible to find a good OWB holster that can be concealed with a loose t-shirt.

Completely personal opinion. Like I mentioned, I have a Crossbreed Supertuck, which is a kydex body with a leather backing. I can wear it all day in complete comfort, and my gun is concealed perfectly. It may not be the prettiest design in the world, but it's utilitarian, and that's more important to me than physical appearance.

Having said that, some of the more popular leather crafters make some gorgeous holsters.

Depends on the type of plastic, the maker, and the model. You get what you pay for.

7) Is the "You get what you pay for" true for the holster world ? and what would be a price range to look for in researching for ? Does the $70-$100 dollar range adaquate for a good quality holster. I seen some on the web for $30, but I think they may be junk.
    You can get a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Comp-Tac (similar design) for right around $70. What you're seeing for $30 is very likely junk, unless someone is parting with a used holster from a decent maker for cheap. Custom leather holsters can be had for around $70, but they usually go for quite a bit more, and the wait times can be extreme.

As mentioned before, something that holds the gun tightly and pulled into your body. Body shield is nice for IWB. It can aid significantly in comfort and may also help mitigate rust from sweat. A thumb break may be something you want, but that's usually personal preference. If you're going to be carrying concealed, and doing backflips and such, might be a good idea. Again, adjustable cant. Also, adjustable height.

I was fortunate in that I knew people who had different holsters that I could try. If you've got an IDPA match close by, you may be able to swing by there and ask people to try their holsters. IDPA rules pretty much limit shooters to holsters that are practical for concealed carry.

Good luck.

-JT

Welcome Aboard! Get to have you join us!

1.) Stick with high-quality, tried & true designs from companies with stout reputations. Can't get many "on approval", but most offer Moneyback Guarantee.

2.) IWB, OWB, Fanny Pack, Ankle, Pocket, Purse, Shoulder - Pick your poison (IMHO, be s-l-o-w about cross-draw or middle-of-back). If you're like most of us, you'll end-up with a BOX full .

3.) *see "2" above.

4.) Generally, yes.

5.) No.

6.) Junk is junk, regardless of the material. The same can be said for quality.

7.) You're correct.

8.) Be as skeptical about "advice" as you are about holsters. *see "6" above.

Ghost Tracker's Voice of (expensive) Experience -

1.) The right belt is (at least) as important in effective carry & presentation of a handgun as the right holster.

2.) You've wisely bought high-quality pistols (congrats!). Maintain that get-what-you-pay-for mindset in the holster process.

3.) It's TOUGH to beat a Milt Sparks "Summer Special" anywhere, but in Arizona a quality Kydex option (FIST, Blade-Tech, Ky-Tac, Galco, ?) might end-up, uhhh...smelling better.

4.) Leather from; Mitch Rosen, DeSantis, Alessi, Kramer, Safariland, Bianchi. There are some places to "start", and of course there are many very fine (yet lesser known) custom makers.

5.) Don't just research holsters for maker, material, etc. Talk with folks who carry the same pistols as y'all carry & find out why/what works best with THAT gun. Very often a make & model of holster will be GREAT for a GLOCK but some detail of the same holster makes it a poor choice for a SIG.

6.) Contact some of the better training facilities (Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, Tactical Defense Institute, Defense Associates, ?) and ask their recommendations. They're PROS, they've seen/tried most everything, they're betting their reputations/lives on knowing what works. (Unlike we Internet Opinionators around here)

Hope This Helps, Good Luck & again...Welcome!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Tucker Gunleather

I have 3 IWB holsters for 3 different size guns. These are excellent IMHO. There are no absolute guarantees with anything. Many of us have several holsters and guns for the different mode of dress and time of year. You always take your chances but call several holster makers and ask questions. They are usually glad to help.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Allow me to throw in my 10 cents worth (2 cents worth adjusted for inflation).

About leather holsters.... what they said. No comparison to nylon floppy holsters. Like night and day. I know, I just went to a leather holster (Don Hume) for an old style Bulldog .44, and it is SO much more comfortable.

About a good gun belt...... again, what they said. No comparison to a little floppy Wal-Mart special, I bought a 1 1/2" wide double thick belt. Not only does it hold up my pants, but it keeps the holster tons more secure and in place.

Afraid that the "You get what you pay for" saying will always hold true.
    You can never have "too much" ammo...

Don't scrimp on the holster purchase...you'll eventually get to this level anyway...don't waste money on several 'cheapies' getting there.

I like IWB's not everyone does. I prefer leather over anything else...lasts a long time and is very comfortable.

If I were getting my first hoslter again, I wish someone would have directed me to Fist holsters...(on line, search Fist holsters)

Having a holster with a body guard (an extra piece of leather to have between the gun and your skin) can create extra comfort.

Fist holsters will provide some videos/pictures to show you how the hoslter look, fit and work.

If 20 people respond to your questions, you'll get 20 different (good but different) recommendations.

Last important item...get a beginner holster box. This is a box that begins to collect holsters that you no longer use...in a few years and a few purchases, you'll understand this concept.

Stay armed...good luck in your search...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links