Got my MTAC, now some quick questions (w/ pics)

This is a discussion on Got my MTAC, now some quick questions (w/ pics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I just got my Mtac for my G27 and I have some questions. First of all lets go over my stats. Skinny white boy, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my MTAC, now some quick questions (w/ pics)

Got my MTAC, now some quick questions (w/ pics)

OK I just got my Mtac for my G27 and I have some questions. First of all lets go over my stats.
    Skinny white boy, 5'10", 135lbs.

I can't carry the gun at 3:00 due to my hip bone actually interferring with the holster so I have to swing it around more between 4-5 oclock. I am just not sure about the adjustment belt straps. I'm not sure if the holster is too high, too low, needs more cant. What do you guys think.

I moved the front side of the holster down one notch to try and ease the draw from 4-5oclock.

Picture from the front, gun is not hidden under my shirt.

From the side with the gun in a more comfortable 5oclock position.

This shot is about as far forward to the 3oclock position as I can get. See how the middle of the gun is in line with my belt loop. That is about as far forward as I can move it.

So by looking at the way it is set up, does this look proper or do I need more forward cant or is it good where it is at. The only thing I need to do is cut off the excess holes on the belt loops clips when I get this figured out.

Oh by the way my MTAC came in a week from order to my mailbox. Ordered on a Friday and received it on the next Friday.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Questions back at you. If you untuck your shirt is it easily noticed? Bend over and whatnot in front of the mirror and check. If it works that way then the second question.

Can you draw the gun comfortably and quickly? If you can access it quickly and easily then it's good.

You can do what you want. I'm not going to tell you to put it this way or that way, that's all up to you. If it were me though, I'd drop the holster down a notch so the gun sits lower inside your pants and keeps less of the gun up high.

Again, it's your gun and you have to do what your comfortable with. Experimentation is key.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have the same problem, I carry my .45 sig P220 at the 4-5 position and I can draw really fast. my waist is 30" but my chest is 44-46", so my shirt drapes over the pistol real nice, so even when I bend over it won't show. if that doens't work for you, try a inside the pants holster in the small of your back.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Just looking at the pics again. Honestly, if you untuck your shirt and go, NOBODY will notice a thing. Really...I mean it.

I used to do all kinds of crazy stuff thinking someone will see my gun. Nobody sees a thing. People don't notice stuff I think they should easily see.

Try the holster at 3:30 - 4:00 and go. That is generally where I carry. Just behind the hip. It sucks for driving, but any other time it's perfect.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Move the holster to 3:30-4. I like the hole where you have it on the left but move the right one to the hole shown here.

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Isn't cant more of a personal comfort issue? I like the MTAC with the default cant, but it is probably best to go with whatever you find most comfortable.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Isn't cant more of a personal comfort issue? I like the MTAC with the default cant, but it is probably best to go with whatever you find most comfortable.
    Yeah, I drop the holster down 1 extra notch from center (so the gun sits further down in your pants). I do not adjust the cant personally.

It's all about how you draw normally.
    -Thomas Jefferson

i am same height as you but 35lbs heavier.i wear mine at about 4;30 5;00 and lower than you do.w/shirt untucked iwb it is comfortable for me.
    try different whats till you find whats best for you.i would for sure keep my gun lower though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I am larger than you and I wear mine a little farther back, about centered over the Levis patch. I also have my holster dropped one hole lower than yours.

With that said, you are going to need to try different positions and cants to find your comfort zone. You'll know it when you find it.

I had the same type questions, give the MTAC time to mold around your hip (break-in). My holster now floats to about 3:30-4:00 as I move around through the day. I also have a bony hip so I find riding higher is more comfy. Give it some time, and no nobody will notice.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ya I was thinking the same thing about the height of the holster and getting it to be lower. Although that might be uncomfortable when sitting, not sure. It is actually painfull if I move it anymore forward toward the 3oclock position. I've tried and there is no way to do it.

For GLOCK30SF, if I put it in the 4th hole won't that reverse the cant the opposite direction? I am right handed.

Oh and when I untuck my shirt you really can't tell it is there, although I would be wearing a sweatshirt over it in the winter, so far I haven't been carrying in the summer. Maybe when I bend over you might see the mag extension but that would be about it.

What, you haven't heard about the holster box?

Oh man!

You're at the beginning of a long trek of finding the correct holster.

I ended up using a Fist holster (via 'Related Links' above) with a single clip...IWB and I hardly know it's there.

Some holsters have to be experimented with to find that perfect spot, some just don't work...thus, the holster box.

Stay armed...enjoy the search...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Had a G27, now have a G19, wear an MTAC with both and it's VERY comfortable. I played with different setups for a couple weeks, ended up wearing at 3:30ish and sitting high like yours with a "one hole cant" forward. Great setup for a Glock, you'll just have to play with it, as everyone is a little different in how the Good Lord put 'em together. For what it's worth, in that forward pic, you can't see it at all, so I don't see an issue with concealment the way it is now. I'm 6'5" and 255, and if I move right, I can still see a little bit of a print when bent over. I'd honestly challenge anyone if they told me they can't see ANY printing no matter what the angle, ever. But don't concern yourself too much, the sheeple.. er... people out there can't see it because they don't want to.

I just got done installing my XS Big Dot sights, removing my factory Mepros were a pain in the ass. The front was the biggest pain as I had to drill most of it out since it looked like when they installed it they press the edges down with a press to smash it on the inside. There was no kind of screw of nothing.

I'll be playing with the holster this weekend. I'm not getting rid of it as I like it very much. Just need to find what is most comfortable for me. I'll try dropping the holster down a bit so it sits lower.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post
    For GLOCK30SF, if I put it in the 4th hole won't that reverse the cant the opposite direction? I am right handed.
    No. By moving to the lower hole it will lower the gun in your pants. It will also give it more cant(which will be a good thing drawing from past 3:00) It is true you have to find what works for you. However I think you may like the setup I gave you. Also as far as the box of holster goes I don't think you find yourself there. IMO Mtac is one of the best holster for comfort and concealment. I just sold my top of the line MS VMII and order a second Mtac for my Glock 26/19
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links