Economy?? Recession??

Economy?? Recession??

This is a discussion on Economy?? Recession?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never thought the economy would affect a little guy like me, but my word. Orders have shrunk back to where I'm only 1-2 weeks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Economy?? Recession??

I never thought the economy would affect a little guy like me, but my word. Orders have shrunk back to where I'm only 1-2 weeks out. I've done a little poking around other maker's sites and it "appears" that other wait times have shrunk as well. Not quite to 1-2 weeks, but substantially.

I haven't been this slow since I opened the website almost 2 years ago. I guess the getting is real good, now.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Sorry to hear how you're affected by this economy that appears to continue its slowdown.
    It's good for the individual needing a holster, but bad for the holster makers.
    Hopefully thing can be turned around sooner than later...it doesn't look good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes...the holster business seems to be affected too. I too have been observing this over the past month. I very frequently buy and sell gear. Even on forums/ebay, etc. I notice gun, holsters and other gear aren't selling like they used to (i.e. lower price, taking longer). Hope things get better!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

No need to tell me how bad things are. I was working for a bank until they called us in for a meeting last month. No big deal... just another boring meeting so I thought. The VP opens the meeting by announcing to the 35 of us gathered there, "Well, no good way to say ths but everyone in this room has lost their job. Tomorrow we expect you to go ahead and clean out your desk and that will be it." Now THAT is one heck of an "opener", huh? ha! Gotta love the respect companies give you nowadays. Oh well, it happens. Just letting you know that at least you still have some business coming in. Gotta look on the bright side, right? Hang in there... things will turn around.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'm not surprised as a lot of people are falling into the trap of believing what they're hearing versus what they are experiencing. It's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. However, guns sales are up everywhere. A friend in Florida said his sales are up 25% in October, 18% y-t-d. There should be some way you can tap into that. Not everyone buys nylon holsters.

Geez Allen - that sucks! I went through the same thing after 9/11. Most companies restructured in some way or another and mine shut down the entire business unit nationwide. YOU hang in there too!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I'm not surprised as a lot of people are falling into the trap of believing what they're hearing versus what they are experiencing. It's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. However, guns sales are up everywhere. A friend in Florida said his sales are up 25% in October, 18% y-t-d. There should be some way you can tap into that. Not everyone buys nylon holsters.

Geez Allen - that sucks! I went through the same thing after 9/11. Most companies restructured in some way or another and mine shut down the entire business unit nationwide. YOU hang in there too!
    Maybe I'll just go work with Nate when things pick up for him. Nate, you think things are slow now... you just wait until people get a look at the first holsters I turn out. Considering I'm all thumbs things might turn south for you big time. ha!!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 2nd, 2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Administrator
    I guess everybody will be affected to some degree Nate.

Hopefully some of our members can increase your sales a bit now that they know that they can get a PDQ (pretty damn quick) UBG holster.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear that business is slow for you. I just traveled through 7 states, and noticed that motel prices have moderated some. I guess when business is slow you have to keep the prices a bit lower, or add amenities, e.g. a decent breakfast at the inn.

I'm afraid we are almost all hurting one way or another in this present economy, but I remain optimistic for the long term.

Sorry to hear about your slow down Nate.

My lead time has remained fairly steady at 4 to 6 weeks. I also have been going to some local MN gun shows and Twin Cities carry get together's so I have been making inventory.

With the inventory, I have been able to fill orders quicker and have enough for the gun shows. Works for me so diversify will help
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I cant help but feel the "federal bailout" was money spent for NOTHING!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Holster Sales

Hey Nate,

I have slowed down to a degree but I am getting more orders for "BBQ" holsters.
    I have talked to some, locally, who are buying their gun(s) first and then planning on their rig down the road.

Take it easy man!

Well I like your Canute Holster....so you may be receiving an order here in the next 37 days (when I return back to the states) for the H&K P2000SK I plan on buying.

I have not noticed any difference in orders at all actually 2008 has been one of my best years.

Mike

Shift to rifles?

I think I am in the majority when I say my gun budget shifted to getting an AR15 and ammo the more a certain presidential candidate's chances improved. My leather needs are filled(thanks Nate) unless I get a new handgun.

I do know if you look at the Kansas Atty. General's website, over 300 people a month are applying for CCH. So unless all us hay balers are dropping a pistol in the chest pocket of our bibs behind the Redman, you've still got a market out there.

Maybe you ought to get with the administrator of the Kansas carry forum KSCCW, and work out some exposure. I would certainly be the first to vouch for you and your product.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I just traveled through 7 states, and noticed that motel prices have moderated some. I guess when business is slow you have to keep the prices a bit lower, or add amenities, e.g. a decent breakfast at the inn.
    This sounds like a GOOD result. I am still amazed that people complain when prices go up and think it is bad when prices go down. Gas prices go up: mass panic, we must DO something. Gas prices go down: mass panic, the economy is in the tank.

I'm afraid we are almost all hurting one way or another in this present economy, but I remain optimistic for the long term.
    I agree with your optimism. But I also think that some are hurting in ANY economic conditions.

Yes, it is a self fulfilling prophecy, which is why we see the timing of this crisis. It is not a coincidence that the primary drivers of the crisis, Dodd and Frank, just happen to have direct ties to the current election cycle.

I guarantee one thing. After the election, no matter who is elected or the perceived 'weakness' in the economy, people will be filling the malls, buying thousands of dollars worth of Christmas gifts.

Good luck, Nate. I hope your business picks up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links