Skinny guy carrying a SIG 229?

This is a discussion on Skinny guy carrying a SIG 229? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive had my heart set on a SIG 229 as a first handgun. But Im curious to know if anyone has had any issues with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny guy carrying a SIG 229?

Ive had my heart set on a SIG 229 as a first handgun. But Im curious to know if anyone has had any issues with concealability? Im 5'10" tall 135lbs. I imagine carrying it against my back or up front would be easier to conceal, but im not sure if it would be comfortable, or even safe. Any opinions on it being too big to conceal for a skinny guy, or carry configurations to help make it easy/comfortable to conceal? Thanks!!!

Administrator

Here is my heavily forward canted OWB holster from Matt DelFatti for my full size Euro SIG 220.
    It conceals beautifully directly behind the hip and pulls the firearm in super close to the body.
    You'll wait a good while these days to get one but, it sure was worth the wait to me.
    I absolutely LOVE this holster!
    http://www.delfatti.com/

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    A 229 isnt hard to conceal at all, you'll have an easier time than a fat guy.

I'm a bit larger than you at 5'11" and 185# with a 33 or 34" waist and I carry a 228 often with no issues.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use a McDaniell II holster and carry just infront of my strong side hip. The design pulls the butt of the gun into you. You can mess with the cant to get the perfect position. It really works for me.

I am a different body type though...6'1" 215 lbs
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

concealing a 229

coming from a fat guy, 5'9" 275 lbs some muscle but yes some flab too. But, yes it is easier if one is thinner, the right holster ie.. a super tuck or a mtac would work great. i am selling my mtac due to it doesn't reholster easy.

thanks for the input!! I am relieved. I was also considering the 220 Carry, simply because SIG offers it in the two-tone DAK configuration which is what I would want for the 229. I contacted sig and they said they could set it up that way but I have a feeling it would translate to more money. Im not partial to any particular caliber. Although I am wary that I may not be capable of effectively controlling the recoil of the .45 (again Im a skinny little guy). But I guess theres only one way to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    thanks for the input!! I am relieved. I was also considering the 220 Carry, simply because SIG offers it in the two-tone DAK configuration which is what I would want for the 229. I contacted sig and they said they could set it up that way but I have a feeling it would translate to more money. Im not partial to any particular caliber. Although I am wary that I may not be capable of effectively controlling the recoil of the .45 (again Im a skinny little guy). But I guess theres only one way to find out!
    Have you tried any rentals at the local ranges? Always (try to) try before you buy. I wouldn't mind a drive to another town to get an up close look at a model on my shopping list. Hope everything works out great!

I dont know of ANY ranges here in NY that rent. And if they are it would most likely be way too long of a drive. I think the closest I can get is holding them in the store I hate NY.

I am exactly your specs. I am 5'10" and 135lbs. For me I carry my glock27. It is more a matter or weight to carry around something bigger as well. I have a Sig226 that I would never dream of carrying.

Anyway you can check out my thread w/ pics here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ns-w-pics.html

You won't have a problem with a good holster. A 226 isn't that much bigger. My wife can carry a 226 with no problem and she's 5'10" with less weight.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    5'10 180# 33" waist. No issues concealing with my Milt Sparks VMII. Keep your heart set on it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

My 229 is easily concealed; however, being pretty thin and narrow-hipped, I have to cinch my belt a bit tighter when carrying it than when I carry my much lighter everyday gun.

Well if you think you can control the recoil of a .40 you def can control the recoil of a .45. .40 is a much snappier recoil than 9mm or .45 IMO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    I dont know of ANY ranges here in NY that rent. And if they are it would most likely be way too long of a drive. I think the closest I can get is holding them in the store I hate NY.

I'm about as tall as you, but I weigh 20-30 lbs more.

I have tried the 229 at the range, and I have considered it for CCW, and it is on the borderline of being convenient enough to carry concealed with my daily routine. I do wear medium sized or smaller/snug clothing, so if you wear baggy or XL clothes the concealability should be fine.

The 229 is a great gun, and I'm actually shopping for a Sig Pro (about the same size but a little lighter) for a full size option, but there are very few situations that I would carry a full size Sig.
    I recommend looking into something in the sub-compact or compact/carry form factors for your 1st firearm. The Sig 239 is nice and the Springfield XD subs are cool. The Glock 19 also conceals well for my frame.

When at the store, and the firearms seems just a little bulky... and just a little heavy... those aspects will multiply during extended periods of use. So check out items more compact items, and you'll be more likely to strap it on every day.

That's my humble opinion.

I always tell people "you can carry anything you want". You just have to dress for it. Baggy is good, XL is good.

I'm 5'10" and about 150lbs and I can conceal a plethora of guns. I have carried an HK45 full size which is bigger than the P229. That's because I wear XL T-shirts and never tuck. My pants are always baggy and hide any print from an IWB holster.

Do remember that the belt makes all the difference. A good gun belt can hold up any gun that isn't a desert eagle with no problem.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links