Kahr TP9 carry Question ?

This is a discussion on Kahr TP9 carry Question ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I started caring today since I have my holster. My question is my particular firearm does not have a safety. Do you guys keep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr TP9 carry Question ?

Kahr TP9 carry Question ?

So I started caring today since I have my holster.

My question is my particular firearm does not have a safety.

Do you guys keep one in the chamber while caring if there is not a tried and true safety switch.

I look at my pistol this way, With 1 in the chamber, my Kahr is similar to a revolver since it take additional effort to squeeze the trigger, after that, it takes less effort to squeeze one off.

Am I being to dangerous by keeping 1 in the chamber while I carry or should I chamber the pistol when the time of needs arise ?

I would think chambering the pistol when need will take valiable time away if the need is there.

Your opinions ?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

I would never carry without one in the chamber.

What kind of holster do you have? If it's a good holster than the only way for your gun to go bang is if you use your booger hook. In that case, I would not worry about the lack of a safety and concentrate on good gun handling. I've carried a CW9 as a backup for more than a year now and I haven't thought twice about not having a safety.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    So I started caring today since I have my holster.

My question is my particular firearm does not have a safety.

Do you guys keep one in the chamber while caring if there is not a tried and true safety switch.

I look at my pistol this way, With 1 in the chamber, my Kahr is similar to a revolver since it take additional effort to squeeze the trigger, after that, it takes less effort to squeeze one off.

Am I being to dangerous by keeping 1 in the chamber while I carry or should I chamber the pistol when the time of needs arise ?

I would think chambering the pistol when need will take valiable time away if the need is there.

Your opinions ?

The Kahr will fire with a DA pull all the time...not just with one in the chamber, and not just for the first shot....there is no early trigger reset...no SA follow up shots.

I would---and do----feel confident carrying a Kahr with one in the chamber. There is an internal trigger safety that prevents the gun from firing if dropped or hit hard with one in the tube. The trigger---as in all guns---acts as the most important safety device. If you don't want the gun to fire, keep your finger off the trigger. Herein lies the importance of a quality holster that encompasses the principles of proper retention, concealment, and trigger protection.

I would recommend (not to imply that you haven't already) shooting the Kahr alot to ensure comfort with the trigger. Do some defensive shooting drills from the holster with a round in the chamber. These will serve as a confidence booster and set your mind at ease.

Be safe.
    Last edited by WJP9; November 9th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    The Kahr will fire with a DA pull all the time...not just with one in the chamber...
    How does it fire when the trigger is pulled, without one in the chamber?

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    How does it fire when the trigger is pulled, without one in the chamber?

-Jeff-
    Nice catch.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    Do some defensive drills from the holster with a round in the chamber.
    Uhhhhh... NO! That's a sure fire way to have an AD.

Practice with the chamber empty. The gun isn't going to feel any different (unless, for weight, you have rounds in the magazine, but even then be very sure you don't go racking the slide while practicing), so go without one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy View Post
    Uhhhhh... NO! That's a sure fire way to have an AD.

Practice with the chamber empty. The gun isn't going to feel any different (unless, for weight, you have rounds in the magazine, but even then be very sure you don't go racking the slide while practicing), so go without one in the chamber.
    The drill was intended as range work....not in the bathroom in front of a mirror. How can one expect to step up in a defensive senerio if they don't practice in the same manner that they will be carrying? I would hope we all practice shooting from a draw with a round in the chamber.
    -Bill

Saw an article a guy got convicted of murder, because the officer was carrying not in the chamber and he shot him dead before he was able to do so.

Your fine chambered. Kahr pistols have a nice double actions trigger. It will not fire unless you pull the trigger. This is how I have carried mine for years, and you will find all police officers and 99% of us(DC Members) carry this way as well.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I've owned & carried Kahr pistols. The reason the trigger-pull is long & deliberate is precisely TO allow chambered carry without a conventional safety. And, like your explaination, it matches the characteristics of a (full-loaded) DAO revolver. If you would feel safe & confident carrying 5 rounds in a S&W PD340, then carrying a Kahr with a round chambered offers EXACTLY the same AD/ND exposure.
    Yes, it's an unwise, potentially fatal choice to wait until you need your pistol...to then make it ready.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

i always carry with one in the chamber regardless of whether its my p345, xd45, or my ruger sercurity six .357 the only one w/ an acual safety lever is the p345. i never use it its DA first pull. like someone else said practice @ the range. if the range doesn't allow that type of thing go to a few IDPA matches they are fun and a great way to get some real practice don't focus on your times and standings just go to have fun and get about as close to the real thing as you're going to get w/o doing the real thing. if you want even more speed join IPSIC or whatever its called i forget less rules than IDPA and even more geared towards speed. either way.. practice practice practice!

Little off topic, but what do you think of the tp9? Is it like other Kahrs? I was on the Kahr website and the only difference between the tp and the cw9 is the barrel and the sights, but it's something like 2 and a half ounces heavier.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Little off topic, but what do you think of the tp9? Is it like other Kahrs? I was on the Kahr website and the only difference between the tp and the cw9 is the barrel and the sights, but it's something like 2 and a half ounces heavier.
    I believe the CW9 shares the same dimensions as the P9, but is not as radically dehorned, has a cheaper barrel, and a non dovetailed front sight (unable to add night sights/ diff front sights without gunsmithing)...think it only comes with a single mag, too. It was added to the lineup as the "economy Kahr". They seem to sell and people that have them seem to like them.

The TP9 has a longer slide and barrel than both the P9 and CW9----this adds the extra 2+ ounces.
    -Bill

I found the Kahr easier to shoot then my sig p245. But we are talking about apples and oranges between the 2 guns. I did use the Kahr to qualify for my CCW and made close shots in the center of mass.

I bought the Kahr for the wife since it is so easy to shoot, almost no recoil. I finf the gun very lite and use it for my CC
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

That TP is a nice gun. I am a huge Kahr fan, but hadn't looked at the TP. Thanks for the info. I saw on the site about the barrell and length, nice gun!!!!! I sure miss my MK40 I sold. I am looking at a glock 26 right now, but thet tp9 with novak nights sure is tempting. As far as the original question, no doubt about it, carry one in the chamber. I always carry with one chambered, and 9 time out of 10, with guns other than my defender, like my Bersa, that have manual safeties, I usually carry them with the safety off anyway, and a round chambered.

P.S. Is it hard to find a good holster for the TP, or will if fit other Kahr holsters?
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links