Supertuck question

Supertuck question

This is a discussion on Supertuck question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should have my USPc in 45 very soon (I already have a 9mm one), and this will be my new carry gun. Anyway - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supertuck question

I should have my USPc in 45 very soon (I already have a 9mm one), and this will be my new carry gun.

Anyway - I've decided to order a supertuck.

However, is the horsehide variation really that much better? It is hot here in Texas, but what does the horsehide variation do that the plain version of the holster doesn't?

I actually prefer the all black look. But, it is damn hot here in TX. I have not carried IWB for many years - since I dictched carrying a Glock. I'm getting the HK so I need not baby the gun in the summer time.

So, I will be using the holster in the summer. Is the horsehide that much better?

Hey, shipwreck!

You've probably already seen this, from the crossbreed website, but I guess I'll post it for anyone that may have not seen it.

Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it
    being more moisture resistant. Customers in very humid climates or who tend to sweat heavily
    find this to be a useful option as horsehide tolerates dampness better.
    Horsehide is only available in natural as it's moisture resistance can also cause it to not take dye
    well. Additionally, the natural finish is very attractive on Horsehide.
    Horsehide is a limited option as it is not always available, during times when it is not available, the
    option will be removed from the selections.
    In other words, if you see it, you can order it.
    I am also curious as to whether people that own it, or possibly have had both, think it is any better.

-Jeff-

horsehide is supposed to be less permeable to water than cowhide since it is tanned using more oils. I have both materials and I can not tell a bit of difference other than my horsehide holster is a good bit stiffer than my cowhide holster. IMO, it isn't worth the extra money to get horsehide. You can add your own waterproofing for less money and will end up with a softer holster to boot.

Here's a good read about the whole horsehide vs cowhide thing.
    http://www.holsters.org/which.htm
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

I got horsehide due to me being a sweater (and I don't mean the clothing). Plus I think the brown will conceal better if a shirt rides up better than the black cowhide against my white body.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Engine1 View Post
    horsehide is supposed to be less permeable to water than cowhide since it is tanned using more oils. I have both materials and I can not tell a bit of difference other than my horsehide holster is a good bit stiffer than my cowhide holster. IMO, it isn't worth the extra money to get horsehide. You can add your own waterproofing for less money and will end up with a softer holster to boot.
    Just the fact that it's stiffer would make me not want it. Okay, shipwreck can have his thread back now.

-Jeff-

Yes, I would prefer the less stiff product too - so, maybe just the regular black cowhide is the best way to go. I was just curious from people who have tried the product - besides the comments on their website

Ah, what's the worst thing that can happen, you decide to get another holster later in horsehide?

To be honest, either way I think you'll love it. I have worn mine on a construction site under my tool belt, playing wiffle ball, wrestling with my kids and even fallen asleep on the couch with it on.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Horsehide also lasts longer because it is a denser material.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

While reading threads here about the holster, I saw one guy complaining that the leather was too rough, rubbing against his skin. Anyone here have that problem? Is one of these less prone to do that (the horsehide or cowhide)

Either material will work and both will mold and break in. Over time the horsehide will show less wear and also repel water much better than cowhide. I like horsehide whenever it's an option.

Neither is rough at all to me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have the supertuck in horsehide for my FNP-9, and considering I'm a sweater and live in beautifully humid Florida I have to say that I am happy as can be. Took a few days to wear in well, but it is unnoticable with a good gun belt. I ordered it and less than a week later my mailboc was overflowing with the wonderful yellow bubble envelope containing my ST. Top notch product, top notch service, and every question I have was answered almost immediately. I could say more, but it would all be equally as positive, and I think you get the point from everything else...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

I think that's me you're referring to.

I finally solved that problem by wearing a wifebeater as the first layer of clothing. I thought I'd be really hot during the heat, but I it wasn't so bad.

Also, I think I'm 80% sure it was the grip on the gun that was rubbing my bare skin and not the holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    While reading threads here about the holster, I saw one guy complaining that the leather was too rough, rubbing against his skin. Anyone here have that problem? Is one of these less prone to do that (the horsehide or cowhide)
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

It probably was.

I think I'll just buy the default, black colored hide and hope for the best :P

Does anyone get a bleedthru problem with that black leather? When it is new, did the color come off on your clothes?

I've had that 2x on OWB holsters before - a Bianchi and a Galco, when they were new. The color came off on my pants a bit.

I've got the black leather Supertuck, and I live in FL and carry every day. I almost always wear the rig without an undershirt, and the leather isn't rough for me at all, and I don't feel the rivets, either, to address another concern some have with the design upon first glance.

I've never had a problem with "bleed-through" at all. Near as I can tell, very little of the leather will actually touch your pants, as the kydex body will likely be making the most contact.

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links