Leather IWB opinions

Leather IWB opinions

This is a discussion on Leather IWB opinions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fairly new to concealed carry. I use an MTAC for my H&K P2000SK. I'm supposed to give my fiancé some Christmas gift ideas and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leather IWB opinions

I'm fairly new to concealed carry. I use an MTAC for my H&K P2000SK.

I'm supposed to give my fiancé some Christmas gift ideas and I'm thinking about asking for a leather IWB holster. I don't have any problems with the MTAC. I have no reason for wanting leather other than just wanting leather. Before I ask for one I'd like some input about some things.

Are leather holsters any more comfortable?

It seems as though Milt Sparks is the holster of choice. I don't care to wait 1/2 a year if I can keep from it. Is his holsters that much better?

There are tons of holster makers and the more I search the more confused I seem to get as far as what one to go with. I'm thinking about going with TT GunLeather. I like the looks of the Reinforced mouth IWB Holster. Any input on this holster or holster maker would be appreciated. Lead time is 10-12 weeks.

Any input on other brands would also be welcome. There are so many holster makers I just don't know what one to go with.

The IWBs I've had "good" experiences with are the Crossbreed SuperTuck and Gary Brommeland's Max Con V. The Max Con V does not have the reinforced mouth but it is plenty firm enough to reholster a weapon with no problem and doesn't think about collapsing. I myself like a very slim holster so this works for me. You can get the Max Con V at coalcreekarmory.com. I wouldn't think you would have to wait any longer than about 10 days for either one of these holsters. I'm with you... waiting 6 months for leather just does not cut it for me. No doubt they are fine pieces but it's not for me.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I like leather but have never had a composite holster to compare. Before you settle try Tucker Gunleather
    I have 3 for 3 different size holsters and love them. I have worn one every day for years and they are great.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I just got a beautiful holster from Tim at TT. Not a dig at him by any means, but if you actually count how many weeks he's out based on the dates he's working on, its actually 15 weeks. But it is absolutely worth it to wait. In fact, if you don't hurry you'll have to wait in line behind another order from me.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ght=gunleather

There are many other outstanding leather holster makers out there as well. You can usually tell who they are by how long the line is.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have used several and it is my opinion that Milt Sparks VM II is the best there is, very well made, does not collapse when pistol is drawn and holds the pistol firmly in place, but not too firm as to hinder drawing and is the most comfortable IWB that I have used.

It is quite a wait but well worth it.

So yes, his holsters are that much better.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Have an early TT for my SA Champion and think you get alot of bang for your buck from Tim. I have also owned a Milt Sparks VMII. If you want REAL comfort and a quality holster I highly recommend a HBE Specialty Leatherworks COM III. I swapped over to a BHP as my CCW and ordered another COM III from Eric for it. Took 2 weeks for delivery and the design does a great job of dispersing the pressure of the weapon so you have no hot spots and secures it so there is no shifting while you are wearing it. Try one out. They are very high quality holsters. I think it's the best IWB out there. Leather is Better. No plastic guns or holsters for this guy. JMO

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

Last edited by Sportsterguy; November 11th, 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: additional info
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I also carry a HK P2000sk in an MTAC. I'm partial to leather and really like tuckable, so I just ordered a Dakota Defender from K&D. It uses the same clips at the MTAC.
    Sig 229 Elite .40 S&W
    HK P2000 sk

Don't wait 6 months for a Milt Sparks VM2. Contact Lightning Arms and get one in a week. I've used mine for a couple years now. At the 12 month mark you tend to freak out because your guns gone! Then you realize the holsters so comfortable it just melts away in there.

"I highly recommend a HBE Specialty Leatherworks COM III" +1!

Certainly consider it while shopping. You'll definitely get it before Christmas.

I want to thank everyone who replied and gave me ideas. I ended up going with a HBE Specialty Leatherworks COM III.

The one in Sportsterguy's picture sold it for me. I got one the same color and with shark just like it.

Now the wait begins!

Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    I want to thank everyone who replied and gave me ideas. I ended up going with a HBE Specialty Leatherworks COM III.

The one in Sportsterguy's picture sold it for me. I got one the same color and with shark just like it.

Now the wait begins!
    Did he have the form for the P2000sk? I didn't see it listed on his site, only the P2000.
    Sig 229 Elite .40 S&W
    HK P2000 sk

Thumbs up

sbebenelli, I know you'll love it! I'll say it again, it is the most comfortable holster I have ever carried my SA .45 5" and BHP in. Once you get it please give us an update on how it's working out.

R/

Roger
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; November 12th, 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Wrong name

Molon Labe!

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Spartan View Post
    Did he have the form for the P2000sk? I didn't see it listed on his site, only the P2000.

He has one he borrows from a friend that also makes holsters.

I've used both, and still like to experiment with kydex, but I've noticed that the leather holsters seem to ride better. I find myself having to "hitch up" my belt fairly often with kydex, but leather seems to grab your shirt or shorts a little better and helps keep the holster up. +1 on Tucker Holsters...the quality is second to none, but the wait sucks.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

The extra leather on the HBE makes a huge improvement on the gripping problem with this holster. It stays in place! Once you find that sweeet spot, 3:00 for me , you're in. The COM stands for COMFORTABLE and the name fits IMO.

Molon Labe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links