Carry XD9sc

Carry XD9sc

This is a discussion on Carry XD9sc within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello XD9sc fellow CCWs. I have two XD pistols. I carry an XD9sc and am amazed that the sub-compact is as accurate as my service ...

Thread: Carry XD9sc

Carry XD9sc

Hello XD9sc fellow CCWs. I have two XD pistols. I carry an XD9sc and am amazed that the sub-compact is as accurate as my service model. I carry in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. This rig hides the pistol very well during the cooler months. I have developed a back ache that will not go away. Because of this issue I have started carrying my P32. I am looking for a lighter pistol in 9-mm and plan to shoot a Kahr PM9 tomorrow. This is the start of a search for a small low weight 9-mm pistol. While I find several candidates these pistols give up rounds and have some control issues.

I am left handed and before this process goes forward and I spend much more money on different pistols and assorted gear, I am asking if:

Is there a better IWB holster that might make it easer to carry my XD9sc which I really like and don't want to give up as a carry gun?

Thanks in Advance Guys and Gals

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Have you looked at the KelTec PF9 or the Walther PPS?

What kind of belt are you using? Where do you wear the gun? Have you tried moving it around at all?

-Jeff-

I have an XD9sc and a Kahr PM9. I like the XD, but the Kahr is WAY easier to carry.

If you get a Kahr PM9: For IWB, I use a Tucker Cover Up Plus and for OWB, I use a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express. I also use a belly band sometimes and I'm about to buy a Renegade ankle holster.

I sold my XD subcompact because it was a pain in the A#@ to carry. I mainly used a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Beltman Belt. I tried the XD in a High-Noon bare asset, a Don Hume slide, and a Don Hume iwb clip on. None worked!!! Prior to the XD I carried an M&P compact in a UBG holster. Amazing how two guns so similiar can be so different when carried. I loved that M&P. I sold it because it was a first run version and has some mag drop and rust problems. Anyway, I feel your pain on the XD. I never could find a comfortable spot to carry it. Nice shooter, but every morning I dreaded strapping on that gun. I eventually sold it and used the money for a Colt Defender(my usual edc). The Defender is just too pretty to wear to the woods and fishing though. So like you I searched for an easy reliable carry gun. I was set on a Glock 26, but then had second thoughts. To make a long story short, I ended up with a Kahr CW9. The pm9 was nice, but I found it a tad small for everyday iwb carry. I already had a 637 for pocket carry(which is where the pm9 excels), so I decided to get the mid-sized Kahr. I love this gun. I feel more than adequately armed with 7+1 and an extra mag. The gun is THIN, 4.5" tall, and has yet to have a jam, ftf, hiccup, burp, fart, or any other problem. I wanted something CHEAP for carrying in the woods, and outdoors, yet able to be carried daily around town as well. The CW9 fit the bill perfectly. I know the front sight is unable to be changed out, but that's ok. This gun sits comfortably on my hip in just about any holster attached to my Beltman, though I use an MTAC, and sometimes when I am lazy, a High-Noon bare asset. At less than $400, I felt that I couldn't go wrong( I wont feel bad if it gets scratched up). ANyway, that was my experience, good luck in your search.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Well, since you were already using a well thought of holster, the CTAC, I don't know if there's anything significantly better or not (although I can hear the MTAC and Crossbreed folks on line 2)...

I have crummy back, and carry the XD 9 SC at 3:30-4:00 in a DM Bullard Dual Carry. I also have a Kahr PM9.

For the most part, I carry the XD, and haven't noticed it adding to my back pain any. And yeah, it's a thick little brick, but it rides nice and flat to back of my hip, and I find it almost as comfy as the PM9.

I generally carry the PM9 on 5mi + powerwalks in my pocket with Stellar pocket holder. I also have the Bullard Dual Carry for the Kahr in IWB also, and there's no doubt it hides better being single stack flat and of course weighs about half as much as the XD.

All in all, though, I generally go with the XD for EDC. I really feel so much more confident with having 10+1 with the XD rather than 6+1 with the Kahr. I also carry XD 16 round extra mag in a nylon belt case in SOB.

At any rate, I certainly endorse the Kahr as a viable carry alternative.

Pics below:
    - XD SC in Bullard Dual Carry IWB
    - Kahr PM9 in StellarRigs pocket holster
    - Kahr PM9 in Bullard Dual Carry IWB (from his site).

Carry XD9sc

Wow, thank you for the excellent replies. I did go to the range today and shot the Kahr. It is an excellent pistol.

HardLivin: I have not taken a look at the Kel-Tec PF9. I will take a look for $300 instead of $700+ its worth a look. I have read several reviews on the PPS. Thank you for these suggestions.

BeefyBeefo:

I have two belts. A Gunners Alley belt made from bull hide in two layers. More recently I bought a CrossBreed belt. I like this belt it is some thicker than my first gun belt. I have tried positioning the XDsc at 8:30 very uncomfortable for me. It feels best to me in front of my hip at about 9:30. While the pistol is most comfortable in this position after several hours my back on the lower right side begins to hurt.

LockNload:

Having both pistols and naming holsters that you use is a plus to me.

Jaystekan:

Great ideas. I thought I had a good set of tools until the back thing. If I can not alter holsters and gun positions then I will need to shop for new pistols that work for me.

Ohshoot:

Yes the CTAC holster is a great holster. I agree that a more controllable pistol like the XD9sc with 10+1 gives me more peace of mind than 6+1 or even 7+1 with a pinky under the grip . More important then rounds is a pistol that I can control. I have a Hi-Power that I carry in a Crossbread Super Tuck. The holster is great but the pistol even with a good belt and holster drags down enough to become very difficult to carry for more that a few hours. The pistol is accurate, thin and weighs 32 ounces empty. But 13+1 is like a ray gun.

Thank you everyone for the ideas and encouragement. I think after shooting the Kahr PM9 I will look at the P9. This pistol weighs one ounce more, but I believe I would have a full grip on the gun. That really helps to shoot accurately. I had to add a Pierce extension to my XD9sc 10 round magazines to be in control of the pistol. Sorry about wandering around so much.

-- Richard

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Sometimes people and a certain gun just don't "Jive". You had good belts, and a good holster, and a reliable gun. If all that put together didn't work, then it just might be time to go shopping. Unfortunately it can get expensive finding that "perfect match" for you. Sure the XD has 11 rounds, but what good are those rounds if the gun is at home when you need it because it was too uncomfortable to wear? I would rather have 7 or 8 rounds with me when I need them, than have 11 at home sitting in the safe.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Carry XD9sc

Jaystekan,

Exactly, which is why I am carrying the P32 when I have two other pistols I love to shoot. If I ever needed to save my life or a loved ones I would wish I had a nine instead of a .32. I guess you could accessorize forever trying to find the perfect holster and gun set.

I have promised myself to never buy another pistol that I have not shot. So I plan to look at the PPS and the Kahr model P9. I have lost 15 pounds and was hoping that would make it easer to carry. That has helped, but at this point my waist size is about the same and therefore the tummy tends to push down jeans and pants, which are much looser. If I can get a waist again it could make all the difference.

Mean while the search for the perfect gun and holster is such fun. I was not sure this was the right place in the forum to post this, question because it is about holsters and pistols. I thought more about holsters than pistols, but it is really both.

-- Richard

Before you go out and change guns, belts and holsters maybe you should try a pair of Perry Suspenders. I use them and it does take some of the pressure off your hips which may be where you are getting the pain from.

Carry XD9sc

Georgewain,

Brilliant, Perry suspenders, thanks I will try your suggestion.

-- Richard

Sponsored Links