Gun Belts - For Women

This is a discussion on Gun Belts - For Women within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have searched and so far I can not find any posts about women specific gun belts. I have looked at some of the ...

Thread: Gun Belts - For Women

Gun Belts - For Women

Ok, I have searched and so far I can not find any posts about women specific gun belts. I have looked at some of the belt makers sights, and they don't seem to have anything.

So do any of you women or men that have women that carry know of any place that makes gun belts for women? The reason I am asking is that I don't think my wife is going to want to wear a belt similar to my Crossbreed, she is probably going to want something a bit less masculine than mine.

I went back and looked through some of the post in the how do you carry sticky, but I don't find any good info. It looks like Lima uses just a regular belt, I couldn't see the buckle from the angle of the photos, so I don't know about it.

Thanks for any info you all might have.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Maybe contact someone like The Belt Man and find out. Really though, a 1.25" belt (as long as you're not carrying anything really large) will probably work with a rounded buckle. It won't be as wide and stiff that way.

Other than that I've no ideas.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

My wife really doesn't wear a belt as a part of her wardrobe, so I asked her to get a cheap black belt to wear everyday to get used to it. This also gets her start thinking about what she should be wearing in order to be able to CC everyday.

Then I figure I'll show her the Beltman website and ask her what she likes.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Take a listen to Pro Arms podcast #8. They've got some good discussion of carry methods for women, including some specific discussion about belts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Really though, a 1.25" belt (as long as you're not carrying anything really large) will probably work with a rounded buckle. It won't be as wide and stiff that way.
    I wear a Galco "SB9 Dress Belt" which is a 1.25" leather belt with rounded buckle.

I think it looks nice and wouldn't look out of place on a woman.

It is a dual layer belt, so it is plenty stiff.

-john

JD
    Administrator
    Is your concern just the buckle?

JD,

Well mostly the buckle, but probably an 1 1/4 which I know many makers offer. But something other than plain black like mine from Crossbreed, or something other than the designs commonly found on mens belts.

I am trying to work through this slowly with her, and give her some options that are different than simply strapping on the same stuff she sees me wearing every day. Right now we are still at the point where she says she doesn't need to carrry every day, which I respond with the question of what is the first rule of a gun fight.

Also why I want to send her to your house for training, or at least have her start reading through Lima's posts.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Well, I'd suggest going with more than one belt, Lima and I are still searching for other belts for her.

Some thoughts are the tapered belts, you can still get a nice 1.5" belt where the gear sits but have the appearance of a smaller belt up front with a smaller buckle.

One thing I've learned about women, two belts, 1 black, 1 brown aren't enough, Lima's got white, beige, tan, khaki.....

Etc. etc.

The Belt Man has some interesting patterns as and you can probably have them made with the ability to change buckles.

Mernickle has some other interesting patterns as well...

As does El Passo Saddlery

I bought Lima a cheaper belt from Boston Leather as a trail belt and that has worked well, I also bought her a Wilderness belt, but it was too stiff and didn't fit well.

Good luck in the search.

ETA: Here are some belts from Comp-Tac which show the contour.

Any consideration to your wife carrying a pocket gun? I know .380 isnt optimal but it's better than nothing if concealing at work isnt possible other ways.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aikidoka View Post
    Any consideration to your wife carrying a pocket gun? I know .380 isnt optimal but it's better than nothing if concealing at work isnt possible other ways.
    I've found that pocket guns don't work well for women overall as there are no (rather rarely) pockets on dresses, skirts, and on dressier slacks the pockets are useless, not to mention that women's jeans tend to run too snug for pocket guns, so what you usually end up with, is the pocket gun in a purse that could hold something much larger than a .380.

One of Lima's friends has/had some little Kel-Tec .32 or something similar, it went in the purse, I think she finally ended up w/ a G26.

Not to mention that most pocket guns are the least fun to shoot and generally make it harder to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well mostly the buckle
    You live in Texas, we have women who have belt buckles big enough to hide a full size 1911 behind them
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Pocket guns are out. She wears jeans most every day, and no there is not enough room in them to hide a pistol.

Paco, yep, she could get one of those big buckles, and then start to carry a snuff can in her back pocket too, hmm. Probably not.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    The belts I have used....

The one of the far left is actually one of JDs. I have worn it only while pregnant because it's long enough to go around the baby belly and still doesn't scream that it's a man's belt (okay, maybe it does, but it's not THAT bad).

The next four belts I've gotten at places like WalMart, American Eagle and Macy's. They are just your average woman's belts. In fact, the white one is just nylon. They don't hold OWB holsters very well, but they are plenty of security and support for an IWB holster with straps that wrap around the holster.

The second to the last belt (on the right) is my favorite and the one I use the most. JD bought it for me from the OfficersStore. It is the sturdiest belt that is the most comfortable. I don't think it particularly looks like a "man" belt. It's just a black belt. Most of the time no one can see my belt anyway because my clothes are covering it.

It's sturdy enough for OWB and has GREAT support.

The last belt is the Wilderness belt and, to be honest, I've never liked it. Maybe I need to wear it more to break it in but it's always been VERY uncomfortable. Yes, it has great support but it definitely looks like a "MAN" belt and is VERY rigid. I know it will loosen up in time but I don't want to go through the process of getting it to loosen because it's really uncomfortable for me. It digs into my hips something FIERCE and still doesn't seem to fit right.

The belt she needs will depend on what kind of gun she's carrying and the holster system she's using.

Like I said, all of the belts int he middle are just your cheapo belts from regular places, but they work just fine for IWB carry or if I were doing paddle holster carry with a light gun. For instance, all of those belts, except for the white nylon one, work very well when just carrying my S&W 360 in my OWB holster because the gun and holster are SO LIGHT they don't need that much support to make them comfortable.

They wouldn't work well AT ALL for OWB of my Wilson.

If her gun is small and her holster system is light then she can get away with a "cheaper" standard leather belt she could find at Macy's or even WalMart (provided it's wide enough to securely hold her holster).

If her gun and holster need more support she's going to have to go up to a heavier duty belt and they don't make many of those "girlie" looking.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've found that pocket guns don't work well for women overall as there are no (rather rarely) pockets on dresses, skirts, and on dressier slacks the pockets are useless, not to mention that women's jeans tend to run too snug for pocket guns, so what you usually end up with, is the pocket gun in a purse that could hold something much larger than a .380.

One of Lima's friends has/had some little Kel-Tec .32 or something similar, it went in the purse, I think she finally ended up w/ a G26.

Not to mention that most pocket guns are the least fun to shoot and generally make it harder to shoot well.
    I didn't think of the lack of pockets. So much for my knowledge of female clothing. haha

I'm keeping my eye on this thread as my gf would like to get her carry license. She hasn't been able to tolerate belts for years now, I suspect due to her fibromyalgia so choices are limited, which doesn't help for ccw at work.

This person claims to make all her items w/ a female physiology in mind.

I haven't heard much about her but here's the link.

Cunningham Custom Holsters - home

Links