Do you carry an extra magazine?

This is a discussion on Do you carry an extra magazine? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Double 1911 mag pouch from Brommeland. Very comfortable and helps balance the weight of the gun....

View Poll Results: Do you carry extra magazines?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 extra

189 55.10%
  • 2 extra

62 18.08%
  • 3 or more extra

7 2.04%
  • No

85 24.78%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry an extra magazine?

Double 1911 mag pouch from Brommeland. Very comfortable and helps balance the weight of the gun.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Always one extra, but three extra for travel to Orlando or Jax...(the additional two are usually just in the car).

Stay armed...extra mags are important...stay safe!
    I voted 1 but it is an average;sometimes it is 0 and other times it is several ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Usually one, but sometimes not. Most civilian s.d. gunfights involve very few shots; I think 3 on average.
    On average ... in over 20 years of daily carry and 10 more of occasional carry I fired 0 shots in SD situation. Therefore, for the rest of my lifetime, the odds are, on average, that I will not need my Glock. Which would be nice; after a few years it is a pain in the 4 o'clock to have that piece of metal (and polymer) hanging on your side.
    But ... even if the odds are 10000 to 1 , I'm betting my life on it.
    Let's say 3 BGs, 2 COM 1 head, that 9 rds; add the "stress induced misses" , the possible malfunction... even with a Glock .
    As I said the odds are very low ... but the stakes are extremely high.

But I also carry a gas can in my truck; never had to use it, but it is comforting.

Like most of these choices it is very personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I carry one extra loaded magazine most of the time now. Yeah...this forum helped me change my thinking a lot on that deal also. I used to never think about it.
    Same for me !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

two is one...one is none!

Alright got me thinking i need to start carrying an extra mag as EDC is 1911. However how do you all carry these. I don't like the idea of throwing it just in my pocket and for work and all not sure how to have it concealed. Would seem rather odd to have a Mag on ones side if there is no seen firearm.? hope I am not stealing orginal post intent.

Some guys use belt pouches made for different purposes, like a Leatherman case. Nobody would look twice at that. Personally, if I can conceal my sidearm, hiding two mags is a piece of cake. I DO NOT like IWB mag pouches, they poke me to death. My pouches are OWB, yet ride high enough on the belt to be covered by a baggy t-shirt.

2 extra chip mccormick 8rounders for me
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

2 extra. cases with snap aor velcro closures work well people think you are carrying a multitool or knife if they get exposed. Since I am one of those who wears a vest all the time I carry them on the inside of vest with pockets made for extra magazines. I have vest made for Fishing, Photography, shooting , hunting, carpentry, and casual around town wear. Extra pockets can always be sewn inside of vest, any jacket, or coat.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    Alright got me thinking i need to start carrying an extra mag as EDC is 1911. However how do you all carry these. I don't like the idea of throwing it just in my pocket and for work and all not sure how to have it concealed. Would seem rather odd to have a Mag on ones side if there is no seen firearm.? hope I am not stealing orginal post intent.
    I use a Galco OWB mag holder (weak side) and the shirt covers it...easy one-handed mag change.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Usually no extra magazine. When the police arrive, hopefully before the magazine is empty, your done anyway. Of course it's going to come down to whether your comfortable with no extra or not.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I'm guessing that most of the guys who carry no extra magazines have never been through any training that entails malfunction drills...

On the advice of my CCW instructor, I carry one and only one extra mag for the following reasons:

• A malfunction could happen
    • The "Cowboy" factor: more than one and the DA/Plaintiff's attorney will be trying to convince the jury that you are a "Buckaroo".
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Usually one at least, depending on the gun, or I carry a BUG.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Always atleast one extra and in a holster if not shorts pocket (most often holster though).
    If I am going out to a club at night in Springfield, MA or expect to be out that way after dark then I'll bring two spares and all three mags will be 10 rounders.

Always though I have atleast one spare mag.
    Between what happened to the LEO at the Trolley Square mall incident and the mechanical failure magazine dumped under stress horror stories as told to me IRL by LEOs and instructors, I can't imagine leaving home without a spare. That's like hitting the road with no spare in your trunk. I recently found myself having to use my spare, tire, too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I usually don't carry a spare magazine. Once in a while, I carry one if I have the right pants to pocket carry it. The main reason is that possibility of a failure, not the extra bullets.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Wait until the welds fail on the bottom of your mag and you feel the horrible trickle of full loads down your leg. Bet you'll be wishing for a spare mag or two then. What about a stress-fire situation where you limp wrist your first shot and jam the weapon? Bet you'll wish you could just dump that first mag and insert a second. In today's society, most likely you're not going to get hit by one assailant, they work in groups. I'm a great shot under stress, but when the bullets run out, I'm SOL. Why not carry a spare or two?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links