Do you carry an extra magazine? - Page 3

Do you carry an extra magazine?

This is a discussion on Do you carry an extra magazine? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenInColo On the advice of my CCW instructor, I carry one and only one extra mag for the following reasons: A malfunction ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry extra magazines?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 extra

189 55.10%
  • 2 extra

62 18.08%
  • 3 or more extra

7 2.04%
  • No

85 24.78%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry an extra magazine?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    On the advice of my CCW instructor, I carry one and only one extra mag for the following reasons:

• A malfunction could happen
    • The "Cowboy" factor: more than one and the DA/Plaintiff's attorney will be trying to convince the jury that you are a "Buckaroo".
    How many do the local police officers carry? If it's more than one you could always say "I wasn't sure how much was enough but the police carry two so I thought I should just in case".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

AZ,

Last spring late one of the SOs I shoot IDPA with was telling me about a Glock magazine he had in the weapon had failed at it's seam weld.
    he was in the mens room running a number two when he heard metal dropping and hitting tile.
    He looked down to find all of his rounds on the tile splayed around him and rolled up under a neighboring stall. Thank goodness for him there was no one in the facility with him as this occurred at a store in Amherst, MA which is an area well known to be extreme left.
    That's just one of many odd ball happenings folks IRL have relayed to me toward magazine failure by mechanism or other failure.

If by odd chance someone were to ask me why I had two mags on me in reserve I'd respond; 'Because the mag holder that SA sent me came with two slots.'. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I always carry at least 1 spare mag and most of the time I carry two. Mostly for the damaged mag or malfuction not so much for the extra rounds but they do tend to add a comfort zone to carrying.

VIP Member
    I carry 2 spares when carrying the Kahr or Kimber. I'll carry one with the G19. When carrying my 642 I carry a speedloader and at least 1 speedstrip.

I'd rather be a "Buckaroo",
    than Dead, how bout you?.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

BAC
    I don't currently carry an extra, but that's because I don't have a means to. I'm shopping around for a good, low-profile magazine pouch, since my Comp-Tac one just won't do for concealed carry (not the Comp-Tac's fault at all; it wasn't designed for it). I'll carry only one extra because if it's come to the point that I've gone through my second mag, I need to be getting the <expletive> out of there anyway.

-B

One with my double stacks, two with my singles.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    How many do the local police officers carry? If it's more than one you could always say "I wasn't sure how much was enough but the police carry two so I thought I should just in case".
    I know, I know, most uniformed LEOs I've seen carry at least two. The reason is that they are more likely to get into protracted battles than we (civilians) are.

Hearing the kinds of things that over-zealous DAs are capable of, I think I'll follow my CCW instructor's advice (after all, I paid for it) and carry only one.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    With automatics a lot of the malfunctions seem to be magazine related. So that is the reason I carry. Chances of running out are slim but the chance of a failure is more likely.
    Mike

+1!!!
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Same gun, same everything

Glock 19, has never malfunctioned, never been in a gun fight.

Every day, Glock 19, one extra Magazine, a G17 one, single Mag pouch, plus Surefire light, also in Glock single Mag; pouch.

when i'm carrying my p345 i carry 2 in an open mag holder on my left and when i have my xd i carry 1 on left side w/ a snap thingie holding it in place. and usually @ least 1 more in center consol of my truck

I always carry 1 extra mag. When I was a young man I was a Boy Scout. The scout motto is " Be Prepared" . I still live by that philosophy today.

It depends on what I'm carrying that day... 1 extra for a double stack, 2 for a single stack.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Usually 1 extra, but if I'm going in to a rough area then 2 to 3 for the primary and 1 for the BUG.
    Mykel

more later...

Usually just 1. Out in the woods or traveling I have more with me, but not usually on me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I carry two spare mags for my Sig P239. When I carried a P229 (and other double-stack mag'd guns), I usually carried one; sometimes two.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links