Votes: 62 18.0%
  • 3 or more extra

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 85 24.7%

Do you carry an extra magazine?

5K views 62 replies 55 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
I would like to see what the percentage is on how many carry an extra magazine.

#2 ·
I'll carry one extra most, but not all, of the time. At home, quick trips out, or just out of convience (read: lazy) I'll just carry my sidearm.

Most often I have one reload with me though. When traveling, I keep several extra mags loaded and close, but generally just one on my person.

Hey, look, My 2K post. I'm a fourm geek!

#3 ·
This seems like it would be dependent also on the gun. It is a big difference to not carry a reload if you only have a 7-round 1911 versus, say, a Glock 19 with 15 rounds or even a Five-seveN with 30 rounds in a single magazine.

Maybe instead it should be asked, "what is the total number of rounds you have with you when you carry" :gah:

#4 ·
My Glocks have never had a magazine problem, so when I first started, I didn't carry an extra mag. After reading lots of related threads on this forum I committed to always carrying at least 1.

I carry the extra magazine to cope with malfunctions, not for the extra rounds, but I always have at least 27 cartridges (G21: 1+13+13, G27: 1+11+15).

#6 ·
Always one extra, but three extra for travel to Orlando or Jax...(the additional two are usually just in the car).

Stay armed...extra mags are important...stay safe!

#17 ·
I voted 1 but it is an average;sometimes it is 0 and other times it is several ...

Usually one, but sometimes not. Most civilian s.d. gunfights involve very few shots; I think 3 on average.
On average ... in over 20 years of daily carry and 10 more of occasional carry I fired 0 shots in SD situation. Therefore, for the rest of my lifetime, the odds are, on average, that I will not need my Glock. Which would be nice; after a few years it is a pain in the 4 o'clock to have that piece of metal (and polymer) hanging on your side.
But ... even if the odds are 10000 to 1 , I'm betting my life on it.
Let's say 3 BGs, 2 COM 1 head, that 9 rds; add the "stress induced misses" , the possible malfunction... even with a Glock :wink:.
As I said the odds are very low ... but the stakes are extremely high.

But I also carry a gas can in my truck; never had to use it, but it is comforting.

Like most of these choices it is very personal.

I carry one extra loaded magazine most of the time now. Yeah...this forum helped me change my thinking a lot on that deal also. I used to never think about it.
Same for me !!!

#7 ·
Usually one, but sometimes not. Most civilian s.d. gunfights involve very few shots; I think 3 on average.

#10 ·
Have an extra in the truck and 1 in my jacket pocket in the winter. Did carry 1 on my belt with my 1911 but since swapping over to a BHP do not. Do carry 1 speed loader on person for my 36 when carrying it and same for the truck.

#13 ·
I carry one extra loaded magazine most of the time now. Yeah...this forum helped me change my thinking a lot on that deal also. I used to never think about it.

#14 ·
With automatics a lot of the malfunctions seem to be magazine related. So that is the reason I carry. Chances of running out are slim but the chance of a failure is more likely.
Mike

#15 ·
I'll carry a spare mag probably about 60% of the time with my G21, but 100% of the time I carry my P345 I have a spare mag. If I'm carrying my SP101, I carry 2 speedstrips in a cellphone holster.

#49 ·
I always carry at least one extra magazine. Always with out exception.

What happens if the mag in the gun fails? One of the most common failures on a modern semi-auto hand gun is the magazine. Your mag fails and ou don't carry a reload? You now are defending yourself with a very small blunt object.

Always carry a spare magazine. I think anyone that doesn't carry a spare is crazy.

Good old Clint Smith!

#19 ·
Alright got me thinking i need to start carrying an extra mag as EDC is 1911. However how do you all carry these. I don't like the idea of throwing it just in my pocket and for work and all not sure how to have it concealed. Would seem rather odd to have a Mag on ones side if there is no seen firearm.? hope I am not stealing orginal post intent.

#23 ·
Alright got me thinking i need to start carrying an extra mag as EDC is 1911. However how do you all carry these. I don't like the idea of throwing it just in my pocket and for work and all not sure how to have it concealed. Would seem rather odd to have a Mag on ones side if there is no seen firearm.? hope I am not stealing orginal post intent.
I use a Galco OWB mag holder (weak side) and the shirt covers it...easy one-handed mag change.

#20 ·
Some guys use belt pouches made for different purposes, like a Leatherman case. Nobody would look twice at that. Personally, if I can conceal my sidearm, hiding two mags is a piece of cake. I DO NOT like IWB mag pouches, they poke me to death. My pouches are OWB, yet ride high enough on the belt to be covered by a baggy t-shirt.

#21 ·
2 extra chip mccormick 8rounders for me

#22 ·
2 extra. cases with snap aor velcro closures work well people think you are carrying a multitool or knife if they get exposed. Since I am one of those who wears a vest all the time I carry them on the inside of vest with pockets made for extra magazines. I have vest made for Fishing, Photography, shooting , hunting, carpentry, and casual around town wear. Extra pockets can always be sewn inside of vest, any jacket, or coat.

#24 ·
Usually no extra magazine. When the police arrive, hopefully before the magazine is empty, your done anyway. Of course it's going to come down to whether your comfortable with no extra or not.

#26 ·
On the advice of my CCW instructor, I carry one and only one extra mag for the following reasons:

• A malfunction could happen
  • The "Cowboy" factor: more than one and the DA/Plaintiff's attorney will be trying to convince the jury that you are a "Buckaroo".

#31 ·
How many do the local police officers carry? If it's more than one you could always say "I wasn't sure how much was enough but the police carry two so I thought I should just in case".

#28 ·
Always atleast one extra and in a holster if not shorts pocket (most often holster though).
If I am going out to a club at night in Springfield, MA or expect to be out that way after dark then I'll bring two spares and all three mags will be 10 rounders.

Always though I have atleast one spare mag.
Between what happened to the LEO at the Trolley Square mall incident and the mechanical failure magazine dumped under stress horror stories as told to me IRL by LEOs and instructors, I can't imagine leaving home without a spare. That's like hitting the road with no spare in your trunk. I recently found myself having to use my spare, tire, too.

- Janq

#29 ·
I usually don't carry a spare magazine. Once in a while, I carry one if I have the right pants to pocket carry it. The main reason is that possibility of a failure, not the extra bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.