Holster for wife

Holster for wife

This is a discussion on Holster for wife within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to persuade my wife to get her CWP for a while, but due to the fact we live in a rural ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for wife

Holster for wife

I have been trying to persuade my wife to get her CWP for a while, but due to the fact we live in a rural area and shop and work in a small city she did not feel it necessary. However recent violent attacks in that city on females have changed her mind.
    She has fired many a rental, plus my own weapons and make a decision on a CCW.

Now here is the problem that I hope someone has the answer for.
    She is not interested in a conceal carry purse at this point, due to the fact she uses different color purses (all large enough for weapon)
    She would like a holster that she could move from purse to purse.

The problem I see with that is God forbid should she ever need it the
    holster comes out with the gun.

Has anyone found a way to attach a holster in a woman's purse and still allow it to be moved to a different purse.
    THANKS
    Last edited by country85; January 7th, 2006 at 07:06 PM.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    There's an amazing adhesive material called Velcro. Just Kidding. But velcro does seem to be a viable option. An inexpensive soft nylon style holster (Uncle Mikes) or something like that, put some velcro on it and inside her purses.

I'd say something small like a Kel Tec, or Seecamp, Beretta Tomcat. But then again, you didn't mention that you were looking for a type of gun, just holster and carry options, so I'll stop.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Smile Thanks

I did not even think of Velcro, must have suffered a brain lock or something, or maybe there is something about being south of 40.
    Thanks again

Hi Country 85,

I designed a moveable purse holster for my wife. It worked so well, I put it on my website. Please see anklepocket.com and look at the Anywhere Pocket. If it fits your needs, let me know.

Be Well,

Scarface
    Scarface
    Good night, Chesty, wherever you are
    http://www.anklepocket.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Glad you posted Buck - was gonna mention that if you hadn't.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Also a decent pocket holster should stay put during a draw. That said, I feel purse carrry should be a last resort. The gun is off the body, so a attack may lose grip on a purse, or a purse snatch could be a problem. Draw is much slower than a belt carry too. More holster makers are designing for women (diffrent curves) that should make comfortable to wear.

Sounds like a good trade to me.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Also a decent pocket holster should stay put during a draw. That said, I feel purse carrry should be a last resort. The gun is off the body, so a attack may lose grip on a purse, or a purse snatch could be a problem. Draw is much slower than a belt carry too. More holster makers are designing for women (diffrent curves) that should make comfortable to wear.

The big problem with pocket carry for women or some women, is the lack of pockets (dress or skirt) or small pocket size. My wife wears a size 3 and she would be luckey to put a Seecamp .32 in one of her jeans pockets. I do agree that purse carry should be a last resort.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar

The big problem with pocket carry for women or some women is, the lack of pockets (dress or skirt) or small pocket size. My wife would be lucky to put a Seecamp .32 in one of her jeans pockets. I do agree that purse carry should be a last resort.

Lead Moderator
    I hear ya. Sometimes clothing changes need to be made for carry. Good luck with that

Try a fanny pack I have one and it works for my full size guns and my mini couger . It has an adjustable holster built in. merlin45kout

Also a decent pocket holster should stay put during a draw. That said, I feel purse Carry should be a last resort. The gun is off the body, so a attack may lose grip on a purse, or a purse snatch could be a problem. Draw is much slower than a belt carry too. More holster makers are designing for women (different curves) that should make comfortable to wear.
    I agree that purse carry is not ideal, however my wife's apparel for work does not work well for conceal carry. She normally wears a dress or skirt which would make conceal carry and access difficult.
    She would also need a method that could not be spotted at work
    While her employer does not have any rule concerning weapons, they are very liberal and if they knew someone did have a weapon would forbid it.
    You know the type "Better a woman get raped or assaulted than God Forbid someone hurt the poor disadvantaged criminal."

Hi all!

Off -body concealment of any type is not the best approach to carrying a defensive arm. I would strongly recommend against it. Criminals will often attack the purse first, and not only relieve your wife of her weapon, but also arm themselves in the process.
    Perhaps Miss Betty can chime in here, but I would think that a belly band or smartcarry (something that I usually do not recommend, btw) would be a better approach. Several holster shops offer a concealment holster designed for women ( I am working on one myself at present), and a shoulder rig (Lou Alessi's Bodyguard is a GREAT one) may also solve the problem. As previously mentoned, a fanny pack is a good option for women, so long as they are fairly small and are some bright, flashy color that a perp will not associate with a gun. If your wife dresses in a manner in which such a thing would not look out of place and scream "GUN!!!", then it is certainly a better option than a purse. (Keep in mind, however, that most BG's are hip to the fanny packs, and the element of surprise is CRUCIAL in fending off an attack.) Hence, choose a "girly" looking, brightly colored thing that looks like it belongs on some liberal.
    I would look around a bit before choosing a system. Rather than picking something out for her, I would also suggest that you involve her in the process and let her choose - after all, she's the one who will be stuck wearing the thing all day.
    IF the person using one is ALWAYS alert and does not go "condition white", a holster purse can be a viable option. However, she only has to let a BG get in close one time to get killed.
    All carry methods offer strengths and weaknesses, and all are a series of compromises. This can become (literally) a life or death decision. Take the time to learn about and carefully weigh the available options. Please feel free to call me if I can be of help. (423.733.1779) Thanks!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    wife and daughter both have settled on what they want but no one makes it , so ill be consulting with some custom makers , they want a hemorphidite rig that i cant say i would approve of for everyone , but basicly they want an iwb canted the old " reverse calvery draw " ie gun butt down to be worn basicly SOB position . i know the downsides to this but they have shown me they have the training to keep the finger off the trigger and thumb off the safety ( both single action gals ) to have it work safely for them . for them this is the best concealment , comfort , and ease of deployment we have come up with so far . I did " Redneck engineer " up a left handed iwb banchi for a proof of concept rig and it appears it will work , now to save the $$ for getting a couple made for thier pistols ( spent all the research funds on 1 lh banchi ) lol

Here's another resource you might look at:

http://www.womensholsters.com/choosing.html

My wife is leaning towards a small shoulder rig because she usually has a buttoned blouse on over a tank top or the like. The straps and stuff don't bother her because she's used to that type of "rigging" anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links