Defensive Carry banner

sweat guard on leather IWB ?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Erik 
#1 ·
I searched and did not find the answer to my question. If it has been answered, please direct me please.

IWB holster leather: doesn't the combination of sweat (salts) and the leather STAIN your stainless steel gun ?

Is there a manufacturer who offers a sweat guard ?

I'm a big boy so if the question is dumb, just say so.

#4 ·
HBE Specialty Leatherworks has sweat guards available. Check them out, think you'll like em. To bore everyone to death again here is a pic of Erics COM III and my BHP when I first bought the two. It gets more comfortable every carry and is the best IWB I have ever had the pleasure of packing a pistol in. Also absolutely love the 1977 BHP.

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

COM III

#6 ·
I have sweat guards/body protectors on all my IWB holsters. Some holster styles come with it, others have it as an add on (usually around $7-8 more).
I usually keep a T-shirt between the sidearm and my skin, but the extra leather is still a plus.

#7 ·
All of my holsters HBE, Bluegrass Holsters, Milt Sparks, K&D, Aker all have sweat guards and I have never had a stainless issue. Two things to remember all the holster makers I know of are using Vegi tanned leather and they are usually sealed with a quality clear sealer.

Hopefully one of the holster makers can chime in and help clarify better.

Craiger

#8 ·
As to the issue of staining....shouldn't be a problem. I've had the holsters stain my clothes, but never the firearm.

Another thing, DON'T store your firearm in the holster!

#9 ·
Properly sealed with an acrylic finish leather holsters will not stain your clothes or your gun, most holster makers I am sure use a quality sealer to prevent this.
If a sweat shield is sealed in such a way the sweat or will not soak in nor transfer through to the gun.

some holsters are actually sealed twice with an acrylic process.

#10 ·
All of my holsters have Side Guards (Sweat Guards) :image035: I have never had a SS gun stain due to sweat and leather (any proper Veg tanned leather should not cause problems with guns).

Check out my site for information.

#11 ·
Never had a staining problem, but the sweatguard for my SA Champ sure does wonders for my side. I use a Gould and Goodrich holster, btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.