Breaking in holster

This is a discussion on Breaking in holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this probably sounds crazy, but I have decided to give the old Pager pal a try... It just seems to fit my normal dress ...

Thread: Breaking in holster

Breaking in holster

Ok, this probably sounds crazy, but I have decided to give the old Pager pal a try... It just seems to fit my normal dress options and office environment.

I have replaced the silly dummy pager with my own cell phone's clip and have been wearing it at 11 o'clock or so. Seems to be shaping up nicely, and twice today, I have "realized" it was still there. It actually is quite comfortable below my spare tire.

Now, here is the goofy part. There is no weapon in the holster at this time. Am I doing more harm than good to break in just the leather without the steel? I have tried to slip the Glock 22 or the Ruger P89DC in there, but obviously, they are a bit large for comfort.

It is my intent to acquire a .38 snubbie such as the 642 in the next week to fill the gap.

Call me crazy, but I am actually using the holster break in as a testing platform to help decide between the 642 and a sub compact glock (G27). I will probably eventually own both, but need to pick a "first"

Also, per the some favorable reviews from this site, I ordered and received my IWB crossbreed from Mr. Craighead. Very nice, but I think it will be relegated to use when I can wear an appropriate cover garment. If I came to work with an extra shirt I would be "made" immediately..

So, is it even a good idea to to an empty holster trial run?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am not over familiar with the Pager Pal but would say - using as an example my OWB belt-slide rigs - breaking in an empty rig would IMO tend to flatten it's profile and could make the gun harder to get back in.

I favor break in with gun on board for these.

Others may well better comment on your specific.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Pager Pal

I heard that the Pager Pal had been redesigned a while back & that it's not too bad now.
    I can't see as how it would hurt to just wear it around for a while.
    I know somebody (by E-mail only) that carries a 642 in one & loves it - if that information is any help to you.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I heard that the Pager Pal had been redesigned a while back & that it's not too bad now.
    I can't see as how it would hurt to just wear it around for a while.
    I know somebody (by E-mail only) that carries a 642 in one & loves it - if that information is any help to you.
    From what I can tell, the inside leather is very soft now, and what I am breaking in is the outer stiffer piece. Not much of an issue after today anyway, as a year end bonus came through today and I am off to the gun store! Good thing I have this empty holster on me, will make test fitting in the store that much easier!

Probably heading the 642 route, I have read much good about them for semi-deep concealment.

Administrator

Early Congratulations On Your NEW Handgun.

Which ever one you finally decide on.

Quote Originally Posted by kastiron
    Ok, this probably sounds crazy, but I have decided to give the old Pager pal a try... It just seems to fit my normal dress options and office environment.

I have replaced the silly dummy pager with my own cell phone's clip and have been wearing it at 11 o'clock or so. Seems to be shaping up nicely, and twice today, I have "realized" it was still there. It actually is quite comfortable below my spare tire.

Now, here is the goofy part. There is no weapon in the holster at this time. Am I doing more harm than good to break in just the leather without the steel? I have tried to slip the Glock 22 or the Ruger P89DC in there, but obviously, they are a bit large for comfort.

It is my intent to acquire a .38 snubbie such as the 642 in the next week to fill the gap.

Call me crazy, but I am actually using the holster break in as a testing platform to help decide between the 642 and a sub compact glock (G27). I will probably eventually own both, but need to pick a "first"

Also, per the some favorable reviews from this site, I ordered and received my IWB crossbreed from Mr. Craighead. Very nice, but I think it will be relegated to use when I can wear an appropriate cover garment. If I came to work with an extra shirt I would be "made" immediately..

So, is it even a good idea to to an empty holster trial run?

I understand you work in an office environment, do you sit down while working? Will you be able to sit down while carring at the "11 o'clock"? How are your co-worker's attitude about guns(better yet people carring guns on the job)? What would happen if someone found out you are/were "packin"? I'm not trying to offend you or anything, we live in a primarily "sheep" society. I say "sheep" because 75-80% of society walk around everyday in "Condition White", and the "sheeps" view guns and the people carring them(good and bad) as dangerous people. The violent criminal element in the USA(Bad Wolves/Bad Guys/dangerous people) is only about 1-3% of the population. You,myself and everyone here(as well as every other good gun toter) refuse to become a victims of that 1-3% of the criminal element. But unfortunitly we have to play be rules(local laws, work policies & etc.) that the BG's don't. Just something to think about(that'all)!
    As for as which gun to get, I would say get ALL of them(I'm a GUN Junkie, I can't help it). What ever gun you shoot the best accurately(you can work on speed after that) and feels the best to carry, go for that one. For me, I love my 638(like the 642, but with exposed shrouded hammer). It's the hardest gun to shoot(shooting +P's, still working to get faster follow-up shots) that I have! If I were you, I'd get both the 642 and the G27!

Congrats on what ever you decide, Stay Packin!!!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

1man, you raise an excelent question about the co-workers. In my office proper, there are fewer than 20 people, but many more than that in the supported facility where the real work goes on. Without going into a lot of detail, a workplace shooting scenario is one of the things that comes to mind when surveying my initial "threat potential". The region is very pro-hunting and pro-gun, but that to me screams "guns in the cars". In the event of an unstable employee termination the potential of a problem is magnified greatly by the presence of firearms in an estimated 75% of the vehicles parked nearby.

The pagerPal actually allows me to sit fairly comfortably with the P89 or G22, but the length of the barrel protruding through the holster gives away that there is definitely "something" there. I imagine that either of the smaller models I discussed would hide easily.

If someone in the office happened to "spot" me carrying, it would not be the end of the world or my employment, but would definitely be an emparrassing situation that I would certainly prefer to avoid.

I checked out that shrouded hammer model last week, liked it, but wasn't sure if the extra $100 was justifed over the hammerless. Yes, I intend to end up owning both, and several more eventually, but prefer to get just one now, a couple of different "good" holsters, a belt and a LOT of ammunition to practice with.

Can't offer anything on the PagerPal but the 642 is my primary carry. It's just a damned handy gun to have. The thing rides easily either IWB or in my jacket pocket (as it did today). I mainly wear jeans so don't really carry in my front pocket much - though pleated shorts or Dockers make that easier. I've just scored a deal on an ankle holster too. Point is, there are so many options for carrying the little Js that it's hard to imagine not being able to conceal it somehow.
    Jack

Jack, I agree. Seems that the handy little 642 just plain fits.

I could resist it no more, and purchased one yesterday afternoon. Also included was a galco "USA" IWB holster that I must say, fits nicely.. A few boxes of range ammo, one box of Winchester +p, and a pair of Gold Dot rounded out my purchase.It is easy to see and feel why the little Smith is so popular.

Nice score! A few folks don't like the recoil of the Airweights but it's never been a problem for me - just make sure you've got a good grip on it. I carry Rem. 125gr. +P Golden Sabers but would like to try the new 135gr +P Gold Dots as they were designed with the snubbies in mind ... just can't seem to find them around here yet.
    Jack

Links