Decent holster to tide me over...?

This is a discussion on Decent holster to tide me over...? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think this has been (kind of) covered before in another thread (and I've gotten glassy-eyed staring at the screen reading hundreds of posts, including ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think this has been (kind of) covered before in another thread (and I've gotten glassy-eyed staring at the screen reading hundreds of posts, including one 25-page monster), but what does everyone do while waiting for a custom piece to arrive? I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and am going to call and order a Milt Sparks VMIIor something in a similar vein...but until then (and from what I've read it could be a long "until then" - understandable for the quality) does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable, easier-to-obtain IWB holster? I hate to just pick up a $30 piece of crap and have bad retention and issues really concealing it, but at the same time as I start to look at holsters that approach the $90 mark, I hate to spend that much when I'm dropping just a bit more on the custom holster. Does that make any sense or am I being unreasonable? Any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced, readily available holster (I realize that's like asking for the Holy Grail)? Or, a slightly more expensive, readily available holster and the advice that I need to suck it up and shell out?

I also should note that I am about 5'7", 125 lbs, if that bears on any advice.

I'm ready to carry!

--Ivy (Hi, new here)
    Last edited by Ivy08; November 20th, 2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: To give my stats, ha!

Distinguished Member
    If you need something fast look at Galco, Bianchi and Gould, they are well made and fast. I would get a different style than the one you have ordered, that way you can have a choice of how you want to carry depending on your mood and how you want to dress.

Post a "wanted" ad on all the forums...you may get lucky!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

This shop has several top-quality mfrs' lines of holsters in stock: Lightning Arms Sports, in Tigard, OR.

This web store has lots of in-stock items from Bianchi and Galco: Packin' Heat Leather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    If you need something fast look at Galco, Bianchi and Gould, they are well made and fast.
    I'll add desantis to that list......or order a good one from Comp-Tac or Cross Breed.
    Don't 'settle' for something to 'tide me over'. Get something quality that'll fill a nitch when needed.

Little Bear holsters still has some of the fastest turnaround times for a really good leather holster.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Fist will get you there, and it has holsters you'll be wearing for years.
    Use the 'Related Links' above...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For fast and cheap, I use high-noon. I actually now have a high noon for all my guns. Whenever I order a custom, I immediately go to the high-noon page and get a bare asset holster to hold me over until my custom leather arrives. I like the easy on/easy off of the bare asset as well, and use them quite a bit, sometimes leaving my other holsters in the drawer.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Consider an OWB until your IWB arrives. Unless you have a tuckable, I don't really see the difference, except that the OWB is more comfortable vs. the IWB holding the gun a little closer to the body. But for both, you still have to wear a cover garment.

I find a lot of use for the OWB, both paddle and belt versions. Especially during the warmer months when I am wearing a coat or sweatshirt a lot. A shoulder rig might be another option.

BTW, WildBill's also has some very nice IWBs in formed leather available.

I would second on giving thought to an OWB. Might try Galco concealable. If not that then a Crossbreed, very comfortable and can get it in a week or 2.

Administrator
    Have you tried Ebay yet?

Here is a "furry" one on Ebay for $34.00 with an option to Make An Offer.

Offer $15.00 - Looks like a decent rig save for the fact that it could use a shave.
    It certainly is unique.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Have you tried Ebay yet?

Here is a "furry" one on Ebay for $34.00 with an option to Make An Offer.

Offer $15.00 - Looks like a decent rig save for the fact that it could use a shave.
    It certainly is unique.

I'll second that shave.....and also 2nd or 3rd (where are we at?) the Crossbreed option! They have great holsters, good quality, decent prices and amazing turnaround....and the customer service is top notch!
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

Wow everyone, thanks for the responses!

ccw9mm - thanks for the link to Packin' Heat - I ordered a Galco Stinger. It seemed like a good choice because it's smallish and I can position it in a few different places and see what I like.

All of you who suggested I check out the OWB are very wise...it's winter, anyway, so concealment isn't going to be too difficult with jackets and sweaters.

goldshellback, thanks for recommending Little Bear Holsters - even though I read a lot of holster threads for some reason I never checked them out...great prices and two weeks turnaround. I might order an IWB from them, too, before they become the next Milt Sparks and I'll be waiting for months.

retsupt99 - Fist looks great, except they have way too many choices for me - I have no idea what I'd order! After I start figuring out what I like, they seem like a good place to experiment without breaking my bank - thanks!

Jaystekan, the High Noon stuff looks good, too. I'm glad you made me aware of that Bare Asset holster. Another good IWB to test out and play with.

Ha ha to that furry thing. I actually did come across that while perusing eBay the other day. I don't think I'd be able to practice at the range showing that off for everyone to see.

I'll have to come back and post some pics of how everything worked out...I find that there is a very small minority of pictures showing women concealing their pistols in comparison to mens' pictures - I know I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Lima concealing full-size firearms.

Hi Ivy08,

I have two holsters already made for a Bersa Thunder 380. Both are my The Slide model RH with 15 deg cant and 1.5" belt slots (OWB) with one black and one dark brown. Total cost is $55 shipped.

Drop me a line if you want
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For most of my career I wore BaldeTech and then I discovered Raven Concealment and never looked back.

We Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    For most of my career I wore BaldeTech and then I discovered Raven Concealment and never looked back.
    I, too, am fully convinced in the merits of the Raven Concealment Systems "Phantom" model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links