Appendix carry - Page 2

Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grady I am right-handed. I carry near 1 o'clock with the grip canted forward and up, similar to an FBI cant but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appendix carry

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I am right-handed. I carry near 1 o'clock with the grip canted forward and up, similar to an FBI cant but more pronounced. The barrel rides around the front and outside of my right hip area. Carrying with this extreme cant allows me to carry a larger firearm yet still remain concealed. If I carried between 3 and 5 o'clock, with my body type and my work environment, I'd probably be exposed within a week.

When I carry OWB, the barrel doesn't point at my flesh. Sometimes when I carry IWB, depending on how the holster is positioned and which pants I'm wearing, the barrel might point at the outer portion of my hip just a little. If the gun were to be fired in this situation, I might receive a slight flesh wound (and burn), but certainly not a femoral artery, groin, or bone injury.

I've got a lot to do this weekend, but I'll try to snap a pic. Then I'll see if the planets will align and allow me to figure out how to post it.

Lots of people are comfortable with a Glock by their zipper, but I'm not there yet.
    Thanks !
    I think I have a good idea of how you are carrying; I'll try it with one of the holsters I have that allow a wide range of angle.
    If I understand correctly, the magazine well is pointing almost straight up ?

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the subject and what led me to working on the Modern Combative Systems Appendix Carry Rig with Raven Concealment.

MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - MCS Doctrine as it Relates to Appendix Carry
    Thanks, I am not comfortable with that option; I don't know if my waist line is too low, but when I am sitting down the barrel is resting on my inner thigh or on another "delicate" part and after a while it is not comfortable.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate your input !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have done plenty of demos showing how much easier it is to deploy a pistol from the appendix position than with traditional behind the hip carry. This was done while in the clinch with an attacker. It takes some getting used to but its worth it.

Sponsor
    I see that appendix carry would lend it's self to a faster easier draw but I have not been able to get comfortable while sitting with anything larger than my Kel Tec P32 at 1:00.

I will say that it must be a fairly popular carry method as my best selling holster is an appendix rig.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Thanks !
    I think I have a good idea of how you are carrying; I'll try it with one of the holsters I have that allow a wide range of angle.
    If I understand correctly, the magazine well is pointing almost straight up ?
    It's more like a 45-degree angle for me. If I draw a vertical line from the front of my shoulder to my ankle, the inside corners of the grip and the barrel almost both touch the line. Well, I think I just confused myself, but maybe that makes sense to you.

I think the 45-degree-angle example is easier to understand. I never did get to the pics. Had to shop at a couple Home Depots for some house repair stuff. But I've been planning on taking some pics anyway, so maybe I can still get it done.

Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. Canting a firearm severely allows me to hide a big double-stack grip. With the right holster, it pastes itself to my side and doesn't stick out hardly at all.

Good luck on finding the best positions for your carry.

I've been using A-IWB for about a year and really like it.
    It may take some experimentation with position (exactly where it is on your beltline), ride-height (how much sticks out of your pants), and the cant. It is doable if you're willing to work on it a little.

IMO, the gun have a "muzzle-forward" cant (the opposite of the FBI cant). The reason for this is so that you can get a locked-wrist draw. With a muzzle-rearward can't (like the FBI), you're going to have to break your wrist which is not conducive to robust weapon deployment.

Yeah, it's going to point at your little buddy...big deal
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thumbs up

I'm just here to help...

Southnarc and the Defensive Snubby

This is what sold me on A-IWB and helped me "view my pistol as just another option in my overall personal protection plan. A 5 shot snub at A-IWB and my H2H skillset makes me very comfortable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I always wear an Underarmor shirt and this provides a level of comfort and due to the material in addition to the sweat guard allows movement as you bend over.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I'm just here to help...

Southnarc and the Defensive Snubby

The link gave me this:

BLUtube Error

Sorry, but you do not have permission to view this video.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Appendix Carry:

Yeah, it's going to point at your little buddy...big deal
    Very true!
    If the gun is in a Holster that covers the trigger guard I don't see a problem. Heck, I sometimes carry "Appendix" with a 5" 1911 and no holster, a la, "Mexican Carry".

Back when my Brother was a streetcop it was a favorite of off duty LEO's from the big city to carry in the Appendix position. It seems that it has gone out of favor and is now starting to make a comeback. Of course, he was a streetcop back when you rode dinosaurs to calls and carried a revolver and a nightstick.

I myself have found Appendix Carry to be popular with the boys from Narcotics and street vermin. Appendix Carry is very popular in the hood because it keeps the gun in front of you, is fast to draw and you can use your hands to help disguise the fact that you have a weapon, all while having your hands ready to draw.

Short Barrelled guns tend to work better for Appendix Carry, but like I said, I've done it with a 5" 1911, as long as I don't sit down. For day to day 24/7 Appendix Carry I'd have to go with a J-Frame. In fact, I managed to exstensively rust the sideplate of a S & W Stainless Steel Revolver in two years of Appendix Carry. It was done as an expirment, so please, no lectures on how to better care for my weapons.

If I've said anything that can be useful, I'm glad. If not, oh well, I'm going back to bed.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    The link gave me this:

BLUtube Error

Sorry, but you do not have permission to view this video.
    Oops and sorry. You have to be registered and verified LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Appendix Carry is very popular in the hood because it keeps the gun in front of you, is fast to draw and you can use your hands to help disguise the fact that you have a weapon, all while having your hands ready to draw.

Short Barrelled guns tend to work better for Appendix Carry, but like I said, I've done it with a 5" 1911, as long as I don't sit down. For day to day 24/7 Appendix Carry I'd have to go with a J-Frame. In fact, I managed to exstensively rust the sideplate of a S & W Stainless Steel Revolver in two years of Appendix Carry. It was done as an expirment, so please, no lectures on how to better care for my weapons.
    yep...

FWIW, I carry a G19 in AIWB 95% of the time but I've also carried a 17 with no discomfort. Carrying and deploying a snubby from this position, particularly if it's set up with Barami Hip-grips, is so easy it should be considered cheating
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Carrying and deploying a snubby from this position, particularly if it's set up with Barami Hip-grips, is so easy it should be considered cheating
    I really want to carry with my Hip Grips, but I just can't get comfortable with them at A-IWB. In a day or two, I should have in my hands the first Tucker Urban Impact made for a J frame.

When I have felt the need to feel pretty I have carried a full size 1911 apex :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links