Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always looking for "better" way to carry, I was wondering about appendix carry. Tried a search and was overwhelmed by the results !!! Trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry

Question Appendix carry

Always looking for "better" way to carry, I was wondering about appendix carry.
    Tried a search and was overwhelmed by the results !!!

Trying to figure out how it felt, I dug a few holster parts from one of the numerous (and infamous) holster boxes, put the G-26 in and gave it a try.

I must be doing it wrong because, when I sit down, the muzzle is pointing, either to my left femoral artery or to parts of my body I cannot name here ... not a good feeling
    or, worse, the barrel is poking at the aforementioned parts ... worse feeling

So what's the secret ???
    Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

My appendix is too big now!
    Even back in my thinner days, it was uncomfortable to me...either poking up or down when sitting. It may just be our body shapes?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    So what's the secret ???
    Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me...
    A lot of the guys on the Suarez forum use (AIWB) appendix carry; it's a highly touted method of carry there, and their store even has holsters specifically designed for it. Many topics re appendix carry there:

Warrior Talk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It may just be our body shapes?
    I think body shape has a lot to do with it. I'm 5'8" 225lbs and don't have a big gut but I can't handle appendix carry while sitting. It just wouldn't work for me.

-Jeff-

I've tried appendix carry and the side/edge of my pistol pressing against my pelvis bone and the constant pressure against my femoral area made it quickly too painful. Standing cool, sitting ouch!

I find it more comfy if you have a singel belt clip + a revolver fits much better. JMO

i had my appendix removed so where does that leave me?
    sorry, couldn't resist the joke

when I sit down, the muzzle is pointing, either to my left femoral artery or to parts of my body I cannot name here ... not a good feeling
    or, worse, the barrel is poking at the aforementioned parts ... worse feeling
    I agree with you.

I carry in the appendix area, but I cant the firearm so the barrel isn't pointed at me. It's pointed along the outside of my leg/hip area. Maybe not "true" appendix carry, but I have much of the same benefits of quicker draw, greater retention, and less chances of someone bumping my firearm accidentally.

The extreme cant may or may not delay my draw vs. a straight up-and-down appendix carry, but for me it requires less gyrations and provides a quicker draw than if I carried at 4 o'clock.

I used to appendix carry when I first started with my .380. Now my carry gun is larger and I carry about 3:30. Never was comfortable with the possibility of perforating the jewels.

I used to carry 1 o'clock about 7 or 8 years ago. The only weapon that was comfortable there was one of my j frames. At the time I also tried it with a G26. It was ok, but not for long periods of time.

Now I pretty much carry my G27 in a VMII at 3:30.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Body style is key. If you have a moneymaker (inguinal crease), it's more natural to carry there. I find my J frame to be the easiest to carry at A-IWB. I am waiting on a Tucker Appendix, which should be in my hands today, and an Alessi APX. My G27 also rides there but that's not as comfortable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I agree with you.

I carry in the appendix area, but I cant the firearm so the barrel isn't pointed at me. It's pointed along the outside of my leg/hip area. Maybe not "true" appendix carry, but I have much of the same benefits of quicker draw, greater retention, and less chances of someone bumping my firearm accidentally.

The extreme cant may or may not delay my draw vs. a straight up-and-down appendix carry, but for me it requires less gyrations and provides a quicker draw than if I carried at 4 o'clock.
    When you say an extreme cant, do you mean canted so it points towards the left (for a right handed person) with the grip down (cross draw style) or like a "FBI cant" where it would point to the right with the grip up ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

When you say an extreme cant, do you mean canted so it points towards the left (for a right handed person) with the grip down (cross draw style) or like a "FBI cant" where it would point to the right with the grip up ?
    I am right-handed. I carry near 1 o'clock with the grip canted forward and up, similar to an FBI cant but more pronounced. The barrel rides around the front and outside of my right hip area. Carrying with this extreme cant allows me to carry a larger firearm yet still remain concealed. If I carried between 3 and 5 o'clock, with my body type and my work environment, I'd probably be exposed within a week.

When I carry OWB, the barrel doesn't point at my flesh. Sometimes when I carry IWB, depending on how the holster is positioned and which pants I'm wearing, the barrel might point at the outer portion of my hip just a little. If the gun were to be fired in this situation, I might receive a slight flesh wound (and burn), but certainly not a femoral artery, groin, or bone injury.

I've got a lot to do this weekend, but I'll try to snap a pic. Then I'll see if the planets will align and allow me to figure out how to post it.

Lots of people are comfortable with a Glock by their zipper, but I'm not there yet.

Here are my thoughts on the subject and what led me to working on the Modern Combative Systems Appendix Carry Rig with Raven Concealment.

MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - MCS Doctrine as it Relates to Appendix Carry

Mercop, love this line...

If you view your pistol as just another option in your overall personal protection plan then the ACR is for you. If you view your pistol as a hammer and everything looks like a nail, then by all means, carry your hammer in whatever way makes you fell good.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links