Vehicle Carry methods?

This is a discussion on Vehicle Carry methods? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 Competition martial arts? Any real world encounters? Find out right quick what really works on the street. For that matter has ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Carry methods?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Competition martial arts? Any real world encounters? Find out right quick what really works on the street. For that matter has she ever been victimized in any way...even a burglary of the family (your) home?

ExSoldier762: Good point, Sir. When I reread my original post, I realized I should have inserted a period or two in that run-on-sentence. What I meant was that for a 26 year old female, she does think about "security" ("pretty good"), not that her "six years" of martial arts would suffice or be "pretty good". My mistake, Sir. She does think about safety in the downtown parking garage, at her condo, and other types of situations (i.e. "pretty good") In my mind, she is unprepared more often than not, and that is why I pursue coaching opportunities when available. Its also why she carries the OC I bought her. I am still trying to interest her in pistols, though.

As a matter of background, she was ready to test for her first level black belt when a broken ankle interrupted, followed by the "demands" (academic and social ) of college. She competed at the US Nationals for five years prior to that, under the TKD NGO. She won the national title in sparring two years running in her weight and age class. During local and regional events (sanctioned, refereed, umpired and judged), she broke one competitors femur (through the protective pads), and another competitors jaw (through the helmet padding). The training she underwent was full-blown fighting training, with full contact using appropriate protective gear.

Now, we both know, in the real world that doesn't count for very darn much. What she did have, however, was the retained muscle memory two years later, when upon exiting the Paris Metro late at night, three Parisian teenagers accosted and attempted a molestation, purse snatching or worse. The ferocity of her attacks against the three resulted in three battered and bleeding boys in the gutter, while she ran to a nearby hotel. Later examination (and a great souvenir), showed she had nearly flattened the band of a ring worn on her right ring finger against one of the boys face.

Other real world encounters have been non-existent as far as I know. None with her family. We have traveled a lot in lesser developed countries, and I was constantly the embarrassing/stupid/boring dad warning her about the BG's, BG scenarios, etc.

I digress, but I did want to let you know more of the facts, and correct my inadvertent butchering of the English language.

Even now, with her 26, I still try to gently prod her into maintaining a higher alert level when I think appropriate. She does stay aware most of the time, and stays away from dark parking lots, etc., but, she's my first-born, and I still worry sometimes. Feels pretty natural.....

2. Remove Ads

Here in Ohio the law currently requires that carry be "in a holster, on your person, in plain sight." That eliminates anything fastened to the seatbelt, and anything hidden under a garment. Currently I've been wearing a fanny pack at 9 o'clock, that I can unzip while driving, and zip up whe I get out of the car. Does it meet the "in plain sight" requirement? I think so, but I don't want to be the test case. I have a "carjacker crossdraw" on order, that will go around my belt at 12 o'clock. Once I have that, I figure on switching the gun to a concealed holster at 4 o'clock when I get out of the car.

Question Lethal Weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    ExSoldier762: Good point, Sir. As a matter of background, she was ready to test for her first level black belt when a broken ankle interrupted, followed by the "demands" (academic and social ) of college. She competed at the US Nationals for five years prior to that, under the TKD NGO. She won the national title in sparring two years running in her weight and age class.
    The smart play is to NEVER get the Blackbelt! If she does and she uses it, it better be a lethal force situation, because if it's not she'll be facing the exact same charges as if she'd used a firearm. In this case, SHE becomes the weapon. Sounds like a Hollywood script, but it's the truth. I'd rather get the training to advance thru the belts, just not officially testing and getting it documented....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    I would rather just wear the gun. If you get in an accident or have to exit , the pistol styas with you. Also, in violent collisions loose objects become missles.

The smart play is to NEVER get the Blackbelt! If she does and she uses it, it better be a lethal force situation, because if it's not she'll be facing the exact same charges as if she'd used a firearm. In this case, SHE becomes the weapon. Sounds like a Hollywood script, but it's the truth. I'd rather get the training to advance thru the belts, just not officially testing and getting it documented....
    Never thought of it that way! She's pursuing her career now, rather than belts, but I'll give her a "Heads Up" to avoid the belts and documentation but get the training! Great advice! Thanks!

Has that info about having a "blackbelt" been confirmed in a court case, recently?

I ask because I've heard it all my life, but not once have I actually seen any proof.

Maybe it used to be true, but in today's world?

I mean, I know too many dojo-ballerinas with contract-guaranteed blackbelts, to be very much impressed with the average blackbelt holder, these days.

Anyone know of any instances where a blackbelt actually made a difference in court? For certain?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i feel that all training should be documented , the " inside knoledge " that proper training gives you allows you to justify actions ( or maby i should say explain your actions ) such as the 21 ft rule that a layman may not be able to justify . True you may be held to a slightly higher standard but the benifits outweigh the risks imho

I don't leave a firearm in my truck unless I am running into the firehouse for something really quick. I can't carry my CCW piece inside the firehouse (Stupid but true. I haven't been on the job long enough to try and change this stupid SOG). If I am heading out, I take my IWB holster and set it at 1:30-2:00 position where I can reach it with my seatbelt on. I don't wear a heavy coat inside my car for that reason. I have practiced drawing from that position from that holster with my belt on and off. It doesn't take much but a mere 10-15 minutes every few months to be efficient in drawing from that position.

However you decide to go, practice makes it possible!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Hi Guys!

When I'm driving a lot, I add a J-Frame in an Alessi shoulder rig to the 5" 1911 that I ALWAYS carry in a Max-Con V or VI. It is much faster to access when wearing a coat/jacket/vest and a seatbelt.
    REf Martial arts for self defense: I've met some really GREAT female martial artists that would kick the crap out of the average man without breaking a sweat. HOWEVER, I have NEVER met or seen one that could do so after a 200lb plus BG had just punched her square in the face. The simple fact is that women are smaller, lighter and easier to physically subdue than are men. I really hate to see someone with a false sense of security - the ONLY way for a woman to defeat one of more attackers that outweigh her 2 to 1 is to brainpan them with a sizeable caliber BEFORE they get close enough to hurt her.

Wink True for all of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    HOWEVER, I have NEVER met or seen one that could do so after a 200lb plus BG had just punched her square in the face. The simple fact is that women are smaller, lighter and easier to physically subdue than are men. I really hate to see someone develope a sense of false security - the ONLY way for a woman to defeat one of more attackers that outweigh her 2 to 1 is to brainpan them with a sizeable caliber BEFORE they get close enough to hurt her.
    Gary, I'm 48...almost 49 and outta shape unless you agree that ROUND is in fact...a shape. If some young stud clocks me by surprise in the pus, I'm prolly out for the count or so stunned, I'd be easy meat. So what goes for her goes for me. See it comin' get set and as you said (very well, I might add) brainpan them with a sizeable caliber BEFORE they get close enough to do lethal damage!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    unless you agree that ROUND is in fact...a shape
    Hahaha - sorry Ex - that was funny
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Gary, I'm 48...almost 49 and outta shape unless you agree that ROUND is in fact...a shape. If some young stud clocks me by surprise in the pus, I'm prolly out for the count or so stunned, I'd be easy meat. [/B]
    Yeah, I'm afraid that you pretty well described my favorite holstermaker, too. I keep thinkin' that I'm some young stud, but when I look in the mirror there's some old fat guy lookin' back at me. It's depressing...

Now I'm LOL. I agree with all of the above - still LOL. Looking in mirror too - still 52 and still out of shape - still LOL.

But: Being new to sidearms:

What do you consider a "sizeable" or "adequate" caliber: I know I've probably opened a can of worms here, but I'm pretty comfortable with my 9mm loaded with Speer 115gr GDHP's. Comfort misplaced?

And: What is the "21 foot" rule?

Thanks for the laughs again!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Now I'm LOL. I agree with all of the above - still LOL. Looking in mirror too - still 52 and still out of shape - still LOL.

But: Being new to sidearms:

What do you consider a "sizeable" or "adequate" caliber: I know I've probably opened a can of worms here, but I'm pretty comfortable with my 9mm loaded with Speer 115gr GDHP's. Comfort misplaced?

And: What is the "21 foot" rule?

Thanks for the laughs again!
    I'll let somebody else explain the 21 foot rule...but you just opened up a real can of worms fer sure. Okay everybody...hold those flames now....my vote goes to the 9mm for IDPA competition and 40 or 45 for ccw. I just got a standard sized H&K USP 45 and I love it...but it is a gawdawful HOGLEG the size of a Glock M21 to lug around. Not so heavy just bulky. I think I'm gonna have to try an IWB from Sam Andrews.

Assistant Administrator
    R&G - I will also avoid the caliber ''sizeable/adequate'' - too contentious. Suffice to say I carry 15+1 124 +P GD's in my SIG - and it suits me.

The 21' deal is really tied up with the Teuller drill - a sorta baseline test to demonstrate just how quick an attacker can reach you before you can draw. 1.5 seconds is not a lotta time.

I would say - considering as we know, distance is our friend - a healthy 30' between you and a threat will add a small comfort zone - but not much!

Imagine the biggest guy you know, with a knife - and you'd be surprised (no, appalled) at how quick he could reach you - in just 21'.!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links