Vehicle Carry methods?

This is a discussion on Vehicle Carry methods? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been using this holster for several months with either a G19 or 26. When added to my usual IWB @ 4 o'clock the possible ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vehicle Carry methods?

G_W
    I've been using this holster for several months with either a G19 or 26. When added to my usual IWB @ 4 o'clock the possible variations cover many situations.
    FIST, INC.: http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/42.htm

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly my only ( and only occationaly.. like when going to a real town ) wink at winter is to tuck another pistol into my strong side coat pocket . i dont carry a bit diff in any circumstance than normal ( either strong side 4 or so or a galco miami clasic sholder rig ) i didnt worry about it back when and i dont now , as someone pointed out above i cannot see shooting from driving position , ill either be moving from seated in vehicle , or getting out , if i am stuck with setting ill drive thro it

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Now I'm LOL. I agree with all of the above - still LOL. Looking in mirror too - still 52 and still out of shape - still LOL.

But: Being new to sidearms:

What do you consider a "sizeable" or "adequate" caliber: I know I've probably opened a can of worms here, but I'm pretty comfortable with my 9mm loaded with Speer 115gr GDHP's. Comfort misplaced?

And: What is the "21 foot" rule?

Thanks for the laughs again!
    Adequate caliber? A 12 ga loaded w/ slugs or 00buck or a .308. There really is no adequate handgun round. They are all varying degrees of inadequate in the stopping power department. However, I consider viable defensive calibers (for a primary carry) to begin at .38 spl. What you've got to remember is that it ALL comes down to your skill and being able to place the shot. If you make a CNS(central nervous system) hit (brain or spine) or put it dead thru the heart, your 9mm is probably going to do what you need it to. I used to study this stuff quite a bit, and I have read hundreds of horror stories of well placed COM (center of mass) shots failing to stop a determined bad guy. This goes for the .45 ACP (my personal caliber choice) as well, despite it having a very undeserved reputation for instantly putting down BG's.
    Said Bad Guy may well leak to death shortly thereafter, but what we are looking for in a defensive tool is the ability to instantly, or near instantly stop an attacker before he/she can hurt you.

21 ft rule: Studies have shown that a 70 yr old man in reasonable health can close and inflict a fatal knife wound on someone before they can draw, fire and the bullet impact can take affect at any distance up to 21 ft MINIMUM. There are court case precedents based upon these studies that have basically said that if someone attacks you with a knife from any distance less than 21 ft, you can legally shoot them - even if the knife is their only weapon.

We're getting a bit off the subject of holsters here. I apologise for my part in that, but I do want to answer any questions that could possible save a life. If you folks want to, we could start up a tactical/training thread to delve into this topic a bit further in a more appropriate forum. If not, then carry on...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    a point to consider on this board is a saying i have heard out here in the wilds , a young man might beat yer butt , but an old man will just kill you and go on , the same folks say fear the man with one gun

Thanks for the responses, and sorry I drew folks off thread. My apologies.

Is is great though, to be able to ask a question as rudimentary as I did, and get good answers put kindly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Thanks for the responses, and sorry I drew folks off thread. My apologies.

Is is great though, to be able to ask a question as rudimentary as I did, and get good answers put kindly!
    No need to apologize - we all had to learn this stuff from someone...That's the real beauty of forums like this - you can learn in a pretty short time what took some of us most of a lifetime to understand.

At the very least, you can learn what you don't know. (That can often be listed as a "cause of death.")

Then you can go on and fill in the gaps in your training and/or knowledge base.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

safepacker on the way

I just ordered a safepacker for a walther p990 in 9mm. I'll pick up a vehicle safe to secure if need be. This would be in addition to my preferred IWB strong side pistol.

I hope it works as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule
    Wearing a cold weather coat and a seatbelt sort of makes
    it hard to retrieve a pistol carried in normal fashion , so I
    lean towards ALSO having a second "car gun".

Who else here does this , and how/where do you stash it?
    And do you sometimes use any type of secure container in your vehicle ?
    Just my 2cents.
    I would unholster when/after getting in the car, keep my B.A.T.(behavior adjusting tool) under a leg(strong side) or underneath an over garment(jacket, sweater or shirt), then reholster before getting out the car.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

This ingeneous little device is made by fobus and can mount in your home or in your car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links