Wife needs carry ideas

Wife needs carry ideas

This is a discussion on Wife needs carry ideas within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is hesitant about carrying. She's legal but just hasn't done it. She was thinking about a purse but that requires constant attention. I ...

Thread: Wife needs carry ideas

Wife needs carry ideas

My wife is hesitant about carrying. She's legal but just hasn't done it. She was thinking about a purse but that requires constant attention. I am hoping some women out there can give a few suggestions. She is about 5'4" and I won't give her weight but say she is curvy. Any pics would be good also because she doesn't understand all the terminology. Oh, she has a brand new beautiful j-frame. Thanks..

Senior Moderator
    Here is website for specifically for woman that want to tote. It has some exellent info in it.

Put her on it.

Cornered Cat
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Superheat, a few details about her "normal" attire would help. My wife uses a Sam Andrews Monarch shoulder rig for her Glock 26. She loves this because she usually has a cover blouse, a jacket or a coat on. She never wears belts. Due to these considerations, the shoulder rig works well. A well-endowed woman might find a shoulder rig a bit "intrusive" in the wrong areas though.

Does your wife wear belts? Jeans? Business formal" Business casual? Each of these might have an impact on her choices.

Here are some resources:

Cornered Cat

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Limatunes, of this renowned forum, has a million great points about lady carry options too - do a search for her posts. She is currently distracted by a brand new baby though, so she'll be otherwise involved. Here is a Limatunes link:

http://web.mac.com/mj_lauer/iWeb/Ran...20Options.html

I'll find some more links for you too.

Here's one, with a great post by Pax, the owner of Cornered Cat:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-holsters.html

Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

My wife, like many, is not interested in a holster. She did find a 'thin' leather pouch...like a fanny pack, but not really a fanny pack. it hold her ID, and KT .32 (better than nothing). Under an untucked shirt it cannot be seen. I discouraged her from putting it in a purse.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm also a 5'4" woman and carry IWB. I don't have any pics but I will say I prefer holsters with an adjustable ride height and cant because I also have an hourglass figure. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by artemis28 View Post
    I'm also a 5'4" woman and carry IWB. I don't have any pics but I will say I prefer holsters with an adjustable ride height and cant because I also have an hourglass figure. Hope that helps!
    sure does help, thanks what holster do you use? Which way do you cant? Butt forward?

Currently using an M-Tac while deciding on a custom holster. I carry in a crossdraw position with the butt close to flush with my beltline. Sounds odd but it works for me. That's the biggest reason I like adjustable holsters. You can play with them until you find that "sweet spot".

I would definately not consider the purse as a carry option. Too many things to go wrong. IWB would be easy to conceal w/ a j frame. Either appendix or behind strong side hip.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

From my women customer perspective, many carry appendix style with smaller guns like J-frames, kel-tecs and Kahrs just in front of the hip 1 to 2 o'clock.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

several women i know carry cross draw style.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Kramer is one of my favorite holstermakers. They will last a lifetime. He makes a couple specifically for women...

Kramer Handgun Leather: Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIME YOU SPENT HELPING. I feel I need to nudge her along. It will be her decision to carry to carry or not. She picked out the gun. I just think that I need to give her a holster. This may let her try it. I feel the whole selection process is overwhelming to her and she will just pull back and do nothing (thats ok). I think even if you don't want to carry every day, what if the day comes and you feel you have to. It sure would be nice to already have a base to start from. WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND for a first holster, specific model and make. I think cross draw or strong side probably iwb. Oh, she has a J-frame.

Try Dave at Little Bear Custom Holsters - Welcome to Little Bear Custom Holsters. My name is Dave Galloway and I hope I can build you the holster you want. I understand what it is like to want a really nice holster but the need outweighs wait time. I hope I can
    He's a great guy to talk to about designing exactly what you want. (As a bonus he also has the best color selection I've come across. Something that might help pique her interest.)
    I just placed an order with him for a crossdraw holster, so if he didn't already have a design for one he does now.

Sponsored Links