Defensive Carry banner

Review...Pure Kustom Holsters

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Pure Kustom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I ride a Harley, and recently had the opportunity to meet Rocky, a very well known master leathermaker and painter who's specialty is custom motorcycles. In our discussion, he mentioned the desire to get into custom, very specialized holsters. We worked over a few designs, and in a couple of weeks he dropped off a prototype for me to beat up. While this one is full black, he's got examples of painted/dyed custom work that will blow your mind. You can see examples of his work on his website.

The holster he dropped off is named the "D2B", or Down to Business. It's a belt slide with an open front, just down below the ejection port. This greatly increases forward draw speed, but still retains retention. The leatherwork is beautifully done, with double stitching and boning on both sides. It curves around the body very well right from the start. The body guard is large enough to protect everything, but doesn't get in the way. Comfort is wonderful, and the draw is fast. The only issue I had was the front flap hindering holstering, and in talking to Rocky he informed me that he's already solved that problem.

I think we're going to be seeing much more of Rocky's work in the near future. When he gets his tooled/dyed work out in the public, he's gonna get popular real fast.

www.purekustomholsters.com

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm in the process of working with Rocky to design my own cross draw carry holster for my needs based on how I work from the holster as well.

I've seen his work first hand as his friend and I shoot quite regularly up at Rio. He's making some very nice holsters and will enjoys working with you to design whatever you need.

Plan on doing a review of that cross draw rig in the future here as well. Enjoy your new rig AZ, I understand about your draw speed requirements.

Juggernaut, his holsters that I've seen are very stiff, I'm going to have mine made a little softer and I'm confident he can do what I want, he knows how to work leather.

Brownie

#13 ·
Well they look nice but I think they're WAY over priced for what they are. You can buy a much nicer holster for less money. I will say it's hard to compare quality from pictures but these just don't look to be the quality of an HBE Leatherworks. As for value, I believe an UBG holster or K&D holster would be just as good at a lot better price point.

I think some holster prices are excessive but if they can get their price, good for them.

#16 ·
Overpriced compared to what? Quality compared to what? I have a lifetime warranty as with my other leather products. I test my products to see how well they are built. The companies you listed do not. One even says they can not. One was 1 year.

So you really have no grounds for your statement. But I am really happy I won't be known as the Wal-Mart of holster makers.

As with my other products, I don't want customers to come to me because I am cheap. There are plenty of other holster makers for that. I want customers that come to me for my quality and artistry and workmanship.

Best Regards
Rocky

#15 ·
I ride a Harley, and recently had the opportunity to meet Rocky, a very well known master leathermaker and painter who's specialty is custom motorcycles. In our discussion, he mentioned the desire to get into custom, very specialized holsters. We worked over a few designs, and in a couple of weeks he dropped off a prototype for me to beat up. While this one is full black, he's got examples of painted/dyed custom work that will blow your mind. You can see examples of his work on his website.

The holster he dropped off is named the "D2B", or Down to Business. It's a belt slide with an open front, just down below the ejection port. This greatly increases forward draw speed, but still retains retention. The leatherwork is beautifully done, with double stitching and boning on both sides. It curves around the body very well right from the start. The body guard is large enough to protect everything, but doesn't get in the way. Comfort is wonderful, and the draw is fast. The only issue I had was the front flap hindering holstering, and in talking to Rocky he informed me that he's already solved that problem.

I think we're going to be seeing much more of Rocky's work in the near future. When he gets his tooled/dyed work out in the public, he's gonna get popular real fast.

Thanks for the review Tracy, I am glade you like my design. Especially since you have holsters from many of the top holster makers means alot to me. Thanks again.

That is COOL!!!! I really dig that! Very nice!
Thanks Silver Wolf

That is nice! I saw some of his work from one of the 1911 forums (the holster with the blue flames). Great stuff! How stiff is the leather?
Thanks Juggernaut, That was one of my first holsters. The blue one was ok. But nothing compaired to the new ones as far as structure goes. My leather is close to horse hide, as far as rigidity. That is what I tried to duplicate. In my drying process. My leather goes through 5 steps to get them very rigid.

I stopped at 10 lbs. I figured that was enough to see how strong they are.

I'm in the process of working with Rocky to design my own cross draw carry holster for my needs based on how I work from the holster as well.

I've seen his work first hand as his friend and I shoot quite regularly up at Rio. He's making some very nice holsters and will enjoys working with you to design whatever you need.

Plan on doing a review of that cross draw rig in the future here as well. Enjoy your new rig AZ, I understand about your draw speed requirements.

Juggernaut, his holsters that I've seen are very stiff, I'm going to have mine made a little softer and I'm confident he can do what I want, he knows how to work leather.

Brownie
Thanks Brownie, Just let me know when your ready.
P.S.
I have alot of ammo and no plates to shoot at!!! lol

Thanks to you other members for your kind words.

Rocky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.