Review...Pure Kustom Holsters

This is a discussion on Review...Pure Kustom Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ride a Harley, and recently had the opportunity to meet Rocky, a very well known master leathermaker and painter who's specialty is custom motorcycles. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review...Pure Kustom Holsters

Review...Pure Kustom Holsters

I ride a Harley, and recently had the opportunity to meet Rocky, a very well known master leathermaker and painter who's specialty is custom motorcycles. In our discussion, he mentioned the desire to get into custom, very specialized holsters. We worked over a few designs, and in a couple of weeks he dropped off a prototype for me to beat up. While this one is full black, he's got examples of painted/dyed custom work that will blow your mind. You can see examples of his work on his website.

The holster he dropped off is named the "D2B", or Down to Business. It's a belt slide with an open front, just down below the ejection port. This greatly increases forward draw speed, but still retains retention. The leatherwork is beautifully done, with double stitching and boning on both sides. It curves around the body very well right from the start. The body guard is large enough to protect everything, but doesn't get in the way. Comfort is wonderful, and the draw is fast. The only issue I had was the front flap hindering holstering, and in talking to Rocky he informed me that he's already solved that problem.

I think we're going to be seeing much more of Rocky's work in the near future. When he gets his tooled/dyed work out in the public, he's gonna get popular real fast.

www.purekustomholsters.com

Last edited by QKShooter; November 26th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add space betwixt pics.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Kustom rig

That is COOL!!!! I really dig that! Very nice!

That is nice! I saw some of his work from one of the 1911 forums (the holster with the blue flames). Great stuff! How stiff is the leather?
    Last edited by QKShooter; November 26th, 2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: No need to see the same pics quoted again.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Sponsor
    I'm in the process of working with Rocky to design my own cross draw carry holster for my needs based on how I work from the holster as well.

I've seen his work first hand as his friend and I shoot quite regularly up at Rio. He's making some very nice holsters and will enjoys working with you to design whatever you need.

Plan on doing a review of that cross draw rig in the future here as well. Enjoy your new rig AZ, I understand about your draw speed requirements.

Juggernaut, his holsters that I've seen are very stiff, I'm going to have mine made a little softer and I'm confident he can do what I want, he knows how to work leather.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Thanks for sharing!

-Jeff-

Nice looking leather...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I spent some time looking around on the web site the other day. He is doing some really fantastical art work on leather.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Man that tooled flame looks cool, gotta get me one of those.
    Thanks,
    Rock

Just checked out the site. Wow, I see some great work coming out of there in the future. Very creative stuff.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I checked out the web site.

The flame designs are a sure seller.

Interesting leather and some nice creative custom work but they are a bit on the pricey side.

His full flamed design is the ultimate BBQ gun holster! Nice stuff.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well they look nice but I think they're WAY over priced for what they are. You can buy a much nicer holster for less money. I will say it's hard to compare quality from pictures but these just don't look to be the quality of an HBE Leatherworks. As for value, I believe an UBG holster or K&D holster would be just as good at a lot better price point.

I think some holster prices are excessive but if they can get their price, good for them.

VIP Member
    Very nice holster.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I ride a Harley, and recently had the opportunity to meet Rocky, a very well known master leathermaker and painter who's specialty is custom motorcycles. In our discussion, he mentioned the desire to get into custom, very specialized holsters. We worked over a few designs, and in a couple of weeks he dropped off a prototype for me to beat up. While this one is full black, he's got examples of painted/dyed custom work that will blow your mind. You can see examples of his work on his website.

The holster he dropped off is named the "D2B", or Down to Business. It's a belt slide with an open front, just down below the ejection port. This greatly increases forward draw speed, but still retains retention. The leatherwork is beautifully done, with double stitching and boning on both sides. It curves around the body very well right from the start. The body guard is large enough to protect everything, but doesn't get in the way. Comfort is wonderful, and the draw is fast. The only issue I had was the front flap hindering holstering, and in talking to Rocky he informed me that he's already solved that problem.

I think we're going to be seeing much more of Rocky's work in the near future. When he gets his tooled/dyed work out in the public, he's gonna get popular real fast.

Thanks for the review Tracy, I am glade you like my design. Especially since you have holsters from many of the top holster makers means alot to me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wolf View Post
    That is COOL!!!! I really dig that! Very nice!
    Thanks Silver Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    That is nice! I saw some of his work from one of the 1911 forums (the holster with the blue flames). Great stuff! How stiff is the leather?
    Thanks Juggernaut, That was one of my first holsters. The blue one was ok. But nothing compaired to the new ones as far as structure goes. My leather is close to horse hide, as far as rigidity. That is what I tried to duplicate. In my drying process. My leather goes through 5 steps to get them very rigid.

I stopped at 10 lbs. I figured that was enough to see how strong they are.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'm in the process of working with Rocky to design my own cross draw carry holster for my needs based on how I work from the holster as well.

I've seen his work first hand as his friend and I shoot quite regularly up at Rio. He's making some very nice holsters and will enjoys working with you to design whatever you need.

Plan on doing a review of that cross draw rig in the future here as well. Enjoy your new rig AZ, I understand about your draw speed requirements.

Juggernaut, his holsters that I've seen are very stiff, I'm going to have mine made a little softer and I'm confident he can do what I want, he knows how to work leather.

Brownie
    Thanks Brownie, Just let me know when your ready.
    P.S.
    I have alot of ammo and no plates to shoot at!!! lol

Thanks to you other members for your kind words.

Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links