Smart carry

This is a discussion on Smart carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The most comprehensive video series on Smart Carry I have found. View them all, this is what helped me chose to buy one. YouTube - ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smart carry

The most comprehensive video series on Smart Carry I have found. View them all, this is what helped me chose to buy one.

YouTube - passive101's Channel

He even has Lima as a subscription. :)

2. Remove Ads

Does anyone have a Smart Carry for a Sig 228 or similar? How does it work for a larger gun? I'm not bragging about my piece size, but it's larger than some of them. LOL
    Pro-Peace & Pro Piece

Quote Originally Posted by SpizyChicken View Post
    Does anyone have a Smart Carry for a Sig 228 or similar? How does it work for a larger gun? I'm not bragging about my piece size, but it's larger than some of them. LOL
    I think your 228 is almost identical in size to my 220 Carry. If so, a large (I think...) SmartCarry will fit it like a glove. It's like it was made for it
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by SpizyChicken View Post
    It rides over and lays on top of your "piece"

I carry the XD45 Service model about 1 out of 6 days. It's got it's draw backs in speed of draw (under 2 seconds) but I'm not worried about being made, hense I've got the element of suprise. It prints the worst from MY perspective (looking right down at it), but from all other angles it's not a big printing issue. I also use the little tricks of ironing on a patch on the inside of my pants to cut up possible printing in dress pants. I've used this system for almost 5 years now. Never been made, not a problem. I deal with many many LEO and I've converted a fair amount of them to the smartcarry. (I own 4 SC's. One for each of my primary carries and one that is almost worn to pieces.) I carry xd45 service, Glock 27 and Taurus 651. The level of comfort goes up with each with the revolver being the most comfortable because it's got a rounded grip. (Depending on my level of defense I need. If I'm with wife or family memebers I need to make sure I've got the rounds to allow them time to escape. When it's just me I can justifie the revolver some days.)

I've got a gut but i've learned to keep it looser. I do have to adjust the grip when sitting in some trucks, but thats for comfort.

I have one and hate it- i tried putting it lower, right, left, up down to adjust and nothing works for me. When I sit it totally jabs into my gut. I actually wear it at 3 O'clock while I shop for a new holster. (I have a HK P2K)

I like the SmartCarry, have gone dancing with it, great concealment for my Ruger P345, which is a significant size. Charlie, the owner of SmartCarry, carries a 1911, as do many others, with no problems. I had some problems with the smaller 9mm digging into my waist while sitting at a restaurant, but a simple adjustment straightened it out. Deploying the weapon may take longer, but there are so many variables with deploying a weapon that I have not found it problematic. Great service, too. Don't have to wait 9 months for delivery...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

It took me awhile (months) to "master" carry of my XD45 service model where it didn't jab and poke me, but I wish I could use IWB. I have not found the perfect carry holster but am 90% happy with smartcarry. My draw time is slower but no more then ankle or SOB and the element of surprise is defiantly there. So it's still true that one style will not work for everyone.

Problems with SmartCarry...

Is anyone else's SmartCarry holster showing signs of wear at the bottom where the barrel is?
    Mike
    - I sold mine to the Muslim guy 4 doors down from me...
    ... OK boys, they have us surrounded. Don't let any of them get away!!!
    ... I bitterly cling to my Bible & Guns! -

I carry a Sig P-226 and a spare 12rd mag in my Smart Carry. It works great and is very comfortable. The only thing I noticed is that with the size of my gun, when wearing jeans, it works best if the jeans are relaxed fit or stuff gets a little cramped down there :). Looking down I notice the grip printing, or sometimes the barrel, but looking in a mirror it doesn't seem that bad.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightWolf View Post
    Is anyone else's SmartCarry holster showing signs of wear at the bottom where the barrel is?
    Thats what God created Duct tape for. Little piece goes a long way.

In my case (job, attire, body) the two best options to carry are the Smartcarry and an ankle holster. I purchased the smartcarry for my Glock 27, but the grip printed a little on my Dockers, plus I think that i got a little self-conscious. I decided to carry my S&W 442 in it instead and the G27 on my ankle.

The SC is more suitable for my Airweight revolver, but I would carry my baby Glock in it if I had to.To me it is comfortable enough that I can work 8 - 10 hours per day, mostly sitting at my desk, without any complaints.

I do have to do minor "adjustments" when I stand up by sticking my right hand in my pocket and pushing down on the grip to move the whole package down. I like to wear it low (very low) because the gun disappears and adds to the comfort factor.

So far I am very pleased with the Smartcarry, plus it was delivered within a week and Charlie is a great guy to deal with.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

last comment on smart carry from me, for now .
    When I do come out of the closet to someone that I have a CCW and carry, it's usually once I've gotten them into the "brotherhood" aka, taken them to the range and they are getting their CCW and they start asking questions like "who else carried." Don't they look like freaks with their guns hanging out." Thats when I blow them away. When my Aunt Carol asked how I holster and I told her that for the last 5 years EVERY time she has seen me I've been armed, in a smart carry, she was VERY surprised! My avatar has me packing, all my photos on my websites I'm armed. I tried to find a picture when I wasn't armed, couldn't' find one unless I went back over 5 years.
    Kinda like my wallet. I'm just never without it (unless not able by law.) For the price of a holster from Charley I can't stress enough that anyone that wants to try it should. And if I'm not mistaken, if you buy it and don't like it I THINK he has a money back guarantee.
    I even think their are some cheaper imitations, but for the price I'll stick with what works for me.
    If I had the time I would love to approach him about setting up a franchise in my part of the country for gun shows, but the web site does a great job.

Rmarkustrucker is not overstating the concealibility of the Smart Carry. Our son and daughter (15 and 23, respectively) have both been taught respect for firearms, but my daughter was not until very recently aware that I'd been armed most of her life, the last 2 years using the SmartCarry most of the time. On vacations, I've even been able to change into pajamas without them noticing a Beretta 92FS (I have a set of the white version--looks like underwear when seen in a suitcase and blends under light colored pants). I think the hardest part of wearing it is having confidence that people arent going to immediately see "something different" that will strike them as an imprinting. Bottom line is that Charlie's explainations for this are quite valad--people's eyes generally avoid the area of the lower abdomen on people they meet. So, have confidence. If you don't tell 'em, they won't know. By the way, I've found that some firearms, particularly in the .380 range, are more comfortable if worn just a little higher if you are girth is in the "done lop" range, as is mine. If you find you get poked in the lower abdomen by the hammer when you sit, slight pressure on the butt of the pistol, which is likely riding close to the upper part of your pocket, will easily rotate the pistol's position so that the hammer and butt (or handgard, if applicable) form a "V". Really, it only takes a slight push toward center, due to the holster's design. Try having it ride a little high and a little low under different positions when you get one (sitting, standing, etc.--takes just a few minutes of prep time) and then it's just a matter of "fine tuning". Again, don't be afraid just because it's right up front for all to see. It really does work and you can do everything but swim with it (well, I suppose that too, if absolutely necessary and wearing dark clothing...).
    By the way, as a brand newcomer to this forum, just want to say I've found more useful advise here in a half-hour than several days of web searching.
    Anything worth doing is worth complicating.

By the way, as a brand newcomer to this forum, just want to say I've found more useful advise here in a half-hour than several days of web searching.
    Cannot agree more. I was thinking about the Smart Carry for summer wear, usually gym shorts, and I find this thread going. This thread has now convinced me to get the SC for summer, when my Cross Breed SUpertuck will not due.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    I have one and hate it- i tried putting it lower, right, left, up down to adjust and nothing works for me. When I sit it totally jabs into my gut. I actually wear it at 3 O'clock while I shop for a new holster. (I have a HK P2K)
    Took me nearly three weeks to work out satisfactory methods (for me and my body type) for all stationary modes as well as transitioning.

Your patience and persistence will be rewarded.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links