What is harder on gun finish - Kydex or Leather?

This is a discussion on What is harder on gun finish - Kydex or Leather? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I caught this statement in another thread that was not addressed, and I did not want to hijack the thread so here it is. The ...

Thread: What is harder on gun finish - Kydex or Leather?

I caught this statement in another thread that was not addressed, and I did not want to hijack the thread so here it is.

The member stated that he had heard that Kydex is harder on the gun finish (marring) than leather. I have heard the opposite.

I am also of the opinion that a carry weapon is going to get wear on it, and boy-o-boy does mine have it. If I wanted pretty I would keep it in a humidity and temperature controlled fur lined case.

I have a Kydex/Leather holster, and I am seeing equal wear on both sides at the friction points. However I carry in extreme environments and dust/grit does get in the holster occasionally and, well, it's 300 grit sandpaper when I remove the gun. It takes rinsing, blowing it out with compressed air, sometimes both at once, then forcing a rag through it to get all the grit out when it happens.

So, in "normal" use, which media is harder on a guns finish? Leather or Kydex?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have found kydex to be tougher on the weapon's finish than leather, but normal wear is just that...normal, and is expected. If some normal wear on a pistol is bothersome, make it a 'safe queen'. OMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have found that Kydex wears "contact" spots on my 1911's, whereas, my all leather holsters "shine" larger patches of my guns finish. A carry piece will show wear no matter what you carry it in.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I would think the Kydex. But maybe I just like the feel of the leather, which in no way indicates my handgun will, oh well.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have found kydex to be tougher on the weapon's finish than leather, but normal wear is just that...normal, and is expected. If some normal wear on a pistol is bothersome, make it a 'safe queen'. OMHO

I think that reads "Buy a Glock"
    There is a place for all types of guns, some
    are duty guns and some are safe queens.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Hi Y'all

IMHO, Kydex wears on the finish quicker than leather. My 1911 is my primary carry and I have both types of holsters. After taking 2 NRA advanced carry classes (I used the Kydex for both), I noticed a lot of wear on the 1911. Way more than I think thats normal. Its less than a year old and looks older much than that. In my opinion, it's so bad that I'm having it refinished with Duracoat now (supposed to be ready this week). My primary CC holster is a leather IWB from Brigade Leather. My CC weapon by no means is a safe queen and I know some wear is normal, but I still want it to look decent.

Eric
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Kydex

Kydex wears out to a point and stopps. There are contact points where the kydex meets the gun and those spots will wear down until it reaches a point where the kydex is worn down a bit. You will see light skuff marks inside the kydex body.

Leather wears patches and doesn't stop. basically the mold for leather is generally more form fitting so it holds the gun across the entire slide and front of the frame including trigger guard. It will rub slowly over the life of the pistol and/or holster until there is no finish left.

If you have a Glock, M&P, HK, or XD you probably don't have to worry much about wear. If your gun is Hard Chrome then you will never see wear, probably. Everything else wears, scratches, or gets shiny.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have not found one to be better or worse for normal holster wear. Normal is normal and will happen no matter what holster material is used.

However, what does promote holster wear is dirt and grime that is allowed to accumulate in a holster - that really promotes holster wear.

Keep your holsters clean. For kydex I use liquid dishwashing soap. For leather I consult the manufacturer to see what they recommend. Just keep 'em clean and holster wear will be minimized but not eliminated.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Leather for all my guns, plastic or steel. Not because of the wear, but because of the comfort.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links