Looking for advice - Bluegrass or Crossbreed

This is a discussion on Looking for advice - Bluegrass or Crossbreed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for an IWB holster. I've narrowed it down to either a Bluegrass Mason-Dixon ( Bluegrass Holsters | Mason-Dixon? OWB/IWB Convertible ) or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice - Bluegrass or Crossbreed

Looking for advice - Bluegrass or Crossbreed

I am looking for an IWB holster. I've narrowed it down to either a Bluegrass Mason-Dixon (Bluegrass Holsters | Mason-Dixon? OWB/IWB Convertible) or a Crossbreed Super-Tuck Deluxe (Links).

The Bluegrass is interchangeable from IWB to OWB.
    I guess the other main difference that I can tell is leather vs. Kydex.

I thought the option for OWB w/o having to buy a 2nd holster would be nice. Not sure how well the Crossbreed would work for OWB.

I'm a thinner guy (6' 165-170 lbs) and will be carrying an M&P 9mm Compact. Which would you recommend (comfort & concealment considered)?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but I only have experience with the Super-Tuck. I have no complaints whatsoever about it. It's comfortable brand new and only gets more so as the leather conforms to your body. You'll find NUMEROUS threads about them. The customer service can't be beat either. OMO
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    All things considered (which include your weapon type, the wait time implied by Bluegrass, cost and a host of other things) I'd suggest the CrossBreed.

The Bluegrass Mason Dixon does look interesting. But the Crossbreed is one of the top three or four most recommended holsters I see on over a half dozen Forums. That has to be worth considering.

As to wearing it OWB, I don't know. Haven't seen it listed as being for such (do they suggest this use?). You may be asking too much of a holster purpose designed for something else.

Others you may wish to consider (the others of the top four I see recommended on many forums) are, the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 (my personal favorite), the Comp Tac C-Tac/MTac series, and the Andrews McDaniel II. All worth consideration.

The Crossbreed and the (similar) CompTac products may be the fastest availability (Bluegrass doesn't state their wait time, only that they don't charge before work is begun on your holster, and that delivery is normally around 30 days from being charged).

There are certainly others worth considering. Brommeland's Max Con is interesting (pricey though). NM Holsters has gotten good press from some posters. The Raven Phantom looks interesting as well (and they claim the dual use OWB/IWB you mention). The Tucker Silent Thunder is a very nice rig (I prefer their OWB) not sure if it's available for your weapon yet.

But of the two you listed, I'd go with the Crossbreed (for your weapon).

By the way, Welcome to the Forum! (Just noticed this was your first post).
    Last edited by T Bone; November 30th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Although a very interesting design and concept - I do not like double duty holsters or the ones you can change out shells. One just will not take the time to do the change over (most will not).

I have been very pleased with my Crossbreed Super Tuck. They will give you a two week no questions asked trial period - how can you go wrong?

I was facing the same situation and decided to go with the Bluegrass Mason-Dixon holster. Brock is a really nice, regular guy, and answered all of my questions and concerns in detail. In the end, you have to look at your use cases. For me, my gun is a rather large Sig 220 Carry. With the type of pants I wear, IWB is not really doable most of the time, so I'll be going OWB. However, I do have some shorts and cargo pants that will allow IWB, so I can convert the Mason-Dixon for that duty. I'm getting two holsters for the (low) price of one. And if I really hate it, I can still send it back during the trial period.

Bluegrass may be the new kid on the block, but all the "big names" had to get their start somewhere. Shoot Brock an e-mail, I bet you won't be disappointed.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sponsor
    Thanks for your interest katoom, I do want to clarify that the SuperTuck is not in any way intended to be a double duty holster.
    It is designed specifically for IWB use.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I have no experience with the Crossbreed holster, but I do have a Mason Dixon. It is a fine holster and conceals IWB really well. I have worn it around the house as OWB and it works fine in this capacity, but as I have not tried to conceal using it this way I can't speak into it. It doesn't seem to hold as close OWB, but I'm sure it would conceal fine.

From my interaction with him, Brock seems like a great guy. He'll make sure you end up with what you want/need in his holster for sure.

Here's a link to my review of the holster and some pics... which reminds me, I need to take some of me wearing it...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...son-dixon.html
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Hey Mark,
    I own 3 super tuck holsters, mostly have been satisified except with the last one. The molding "holster" part was sloppy,like it was molded too quickly, lot's of excess play, doesn't really hold lock the pistol in very well like my other Cross Breeds.
    Guess I could mail it back to you, but, I didn't feel like purchasing a big enough envelope and postage to return it to you.
    Guess I'm bad.
    Sgt.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 588 View Post
    Hey Mark,
    I own 3 super tuck holsters, mostly have been satisified except with the last one. The molding "holster" part was sloppy,like it was molded too quickly, lot's of excess play, doesn't really hold lock the pistol in very well like my other Cross Breeds.
    Guess I could mail it back to you, but, I didn't feel like purchasing a big enough envelope and postage to return it to you.
    Guess I'm bad.
    Sgt.
    If you are not satisfied and have not bothered to let me know via email but rather choose to just make a random post complaining about it and have no intention of sending it back so we can correct it, then yeah, that is totally your bad.

I can't take care of a customer service issue if you don't even afford me the opportunity of knowing it exists.

It sounds to me as if maybe there was a mix up on the gun it was for if it's that loose.

Of course we'd be happy to fix or replace it, but we need to know about a problem before we can correct it, and yes, you will have to send it in.

And by the way, if you don't mind, email me at the website about it.
    Hi jacking someone else's thread is kinda bad manners.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Just want to say that i have communicated via e-mail w/both Brock and Mark and both have been very helpful.
    One thing that seems clear is they both have great customer service...even to someone that has not committed to buying!

I've got a crossbreed and couldn't be happier...if you want an IWB, the supertuck is THE way to go. it wouldn't meet your desires of being "dual purpose though"...but it can sure take care of you til you get the OWB!...give em a try....if you don't like it...send it back...Mark has a very good product and a great customer base...and those things go hand in hand. so....come on...jump on board....."everyone's doing it"....you know you want one too!
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    I was facing the same situation and decided to go with the Bluegrass Mason-Dixon holster. Brock is a really nice, regular guy, and answered all of my questions and concerns in detail. In the end, you have to look at your use cases. For me, my gun is a rather large Sig 220 Carry. With the type of pants I wear, IWB is not really doable most of the time, so I'll be going OWB. However, I do have some shorts and cargo pants that will allow IWB, so I can convert the Mason-Dixon for that duty. I'm getting two holsters for the (low) price of one. And if I really hate it, I can still send it back during the trial period.
    Bluegrass may be the new kid on the block, but all the "big names" had to get their start somewhere. Shoot Brock an e-mail, I bet you won't be disappointed.
    Brock's site says the trial period is only 3 days. That's not enough time to work out to much carry time for me. If it were 2 weeks like Mark's I'd consider getting both (and eating shipping costs I guess) and make my choice that way.
    I also like that Mark has an unconditional life time warranty where as if I understand right, Brock's is a limited 1 year warranty.

I really wish I knew somebody that had used both (IWB) or could try both.

I do like that I could also buy a pocket holster from Brock as a gift for my dad & his Walther.

Can't make up my mind

I own both.

I use the Mason/Dixon daily, although usually OWB. It takes me all of 3 minutes to switch to IWB when I desire, and that time includes finding a screwdriver.

Showed a friend both. He's got his own ideas and isn't swayed by the opinions of others. Within 5 minutes of wearing the Mason/Dixon, he made the decision to order one. I have also ordered a second one for another firearm.

Many Crossbreed owners say the Supertuck is the most comfortable holster they own. Can't argue with the generous return policy of Crossbreed.

You will wait longer for the Bluegrass holster, but only you can say if the wait is worth it.

I don't think you are going to get a definitive answer from others. Wearing a holster is such an individual experience, and what is perfect for others may be atrocious for you.

It's a guess either way until you strap it on and wear it.

Get a Glock.

Oh, wait... sorry. I saw everyone else posting that in most of the other threads. I guess just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't mean it's always right.

Don't let popular opinions sway your decision. This is your holster, your gun, your body type, and your use case. Good luck, you can't go wrong either way
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    Get a Glock.

Oh, wait... sorry. I saw everyone else posting that in most of the other threads. I guess just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't mean it's always right.

Don't let popular opinions sway your decision. This is your holster, your gun, your body type, and your use case. Good luck, you can't go wrong either way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links