Blackhawk SERPA holster review

This is a discussion on Blackhawk SERPA holster review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a SERPA holster a few years ago and have enjoyed using it for camping and concealment on the belt. So this summer I ...

Thread: Blackhawk SERPA holster review

Lead Moderator

I purchased a SERPA holster a few years ago and have enjoyed using it for camping and concealment on the belt. So this summer I purchased the shoulder rig and 2 mag carriers.
    I wanted to test this rig thoroughly myself before posting a review. I purchased this shoulder rig with the intent of using it mainly while riding motorcycle since my jacket didn't cover with my IWB/ OWB carry method.
    The first thing I noticed was the MED size rig even with the straps snugged up as far as possible still let the gun ride just above the belt. (I am average size.) My other shoulder rig always rode up near my armpit ,so I decided to adjust the SERPA rig. By using a Chicago screw and a hot punch I placed a hole much higher thru both parts of the adjustment strap.(note in pics).
    I found this placed the holster much better for a clean , easy draw stroke. Once this was done , I found the holster worked very well, even with a 3 day trip of riding all day on my motorcycle. The holster and mag pouches hold the gear well, yet are easy to access.
    I wore the rig under a loose button down shirt and over a t shirt with minimal printing. Even under a heavy leather jacket the holster felt comfortable enough I almost forgot I was carrying.
    I BH would redesign the rig for a wider range of adjustment this rig would be ideal. If you don't mind someone sewing or modding the rig, I recommend this for a secure shoulder holster.
    Sorry for the poor pics, my flash really reflects off the mirror.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Serpas are awsome

Good choice in both holster and knife.

Love my SERPA as well. Good stuff.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Good choice in both holster and knife.

Love my SERPA as well. Good stuff.
    Thanks, how can you tell what knife I have ?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the post. I might have to look into the SH. I have a couple of Serpas and like them very much

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Thanks, how can you tell what knife I have ?
    You've got a knife with a Kershaw pocket clip visible in one of your photos. I can't guess as to the model but most Kershaw knives are GTG in my book.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I have a SERPA for my Glock 20 (which my S&W M&P45 fits as well)....good, secure holster.

Thanks for the review Rocky.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Serpa's are outstanding...a must have for anyone's collection. I hadn't seen it in a shoulder rig configuration but it looks great.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

me either so i'm headed to their site now , i'm guessing it's made to acept the holster you already own?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by elance View Post
    me either so i'm headed to their site now , i'm guessing it's made to acept the holster you already own?
    The shoulder rig will bolt on any SERPA holster . I happen to own 2 models at present.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I also have the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder harness. It looks like with single stack magazine holders, it looks more comfortable. Using double stack ones for my pistols (All I have is double stack), it sort of sticks out. Then while carrying my XD45, the spare mags kept wanting to fall out. That's when I bought the Galco Miami Classic, and haven't looked back. I do like the fact that you can bolt on any Serpa holster to that particular shoulder harness.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Hey Rocky,

What type of bike do you ride? That's exactly why I'm looking at the Serpa Shoulder rig. I currently have a Serpa for my issue H&K .40 and for my FN 5.7 though I don't know if the 5.7 magazines will fit in the magazine holder.

where do you get the harness ?
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie97 View Post
    Hey Rocky,

What type of bike do you ride? That's exactly why I'm looking at the Serpa Shoulder rig. I currently have a Serpa for my issue H&K .40 and for my FN 5.7 though I don't know if the 5.7 magazines will fit in the magazine holder.
    I ride a 99' Kawi KLR 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterdawg725 View Post
    where do you get the harness ?
    You can order the shoulder rig from BH's website, several other vendors and sometimes local shops.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here's a link with the best price I found, though I haven't looked too hard yet.

BlackHawk CQC SERPA Shoulder Harness get one of your own from LAPoliceGear.com!

I'm riding an '08 Goldwing and with the armored jacket on, there is no way I can reach my gun on my side so I figured a shoulder rig would be best. I have written to Blackhawk to see if the magazine holder will work with the 5.7 magazines.

Sponsored Links