Clip Draw Opinions for 1911

This is a discussion on Clip Draw Opinions for 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These are the metal belt clips that tape or bolt to the side of a pistol. I have one on a Kahr CW9, and it's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clip Draw Opinions for 1911

Clip Draw Opinions for 1911

These are the metal belt clips that tape or bolt to the side of a pistol. I have one on a Kahr CW9, and it's pretty effective. I am considering it for a S&W 1911, which has an 8 round clip and is a bear to conceal, even though I am 6-2, 240. I am down to this or Smartcarry. Does anyone have any experience with the Clipdraw and a 1911?

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't attach a clip to my Kimbers or even to a KelTec. If my sidearm is not in a holster, the trigger isn't covered...it isn't safe IMHO.

We all have different tastes and different levels of safety.

You might want to rethink this type of carry.

Stay armed...cover the trigger...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You're right about the trigger being covered. If I place it carefully though, once it's inside the belt line, with a shirt hanging out, there is no way to trigger it. I am frankly just frustrated with finding a good means of carrying this Smith in a way that is well concealed in this Florida climate. I've got an XD .40 SC and a Glock 19 as well, but I find myself going with a snubbie .38 because it's so much easier.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I wouldn't mind using them for some firearms, but I would never even think of using one on a 1911. That might just be me though...

-Jeff-

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    for a S&W 1911, which has an 8 round clip
    Welcome to the Forum........

I would not recommend a belt clip on a 1911.
    Also just FYI, the 1911 holds it's rounds in a Magazine (NOT a 8 round Clip).

The only weapon I know of that uses a Clip to hold the rounds is the M1 30.06 Rifle. There may be others though that I am not familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    You're right about the trigger being covered. If I place it carefully though, once it's inside the belt line, with a shirt hanging out, there is no way to trigger it. I am frankly just frustrated with finding a good means of carrying this Smith in a way that is well concealed in this Florida climate. I've got an XD .40 SC and a Glock 19 as well, but I find myself going with a snubbie .38 because it's so much easier.
    There's always a way trust me that's how accidents happen. have you tried a MTac from Comp-Tac or a Supertuck from Crossbreed? Some of the best holsters I've seen.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

A good IWB holster will be more comfortable and much more secure & safe.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    OK we seem to have already had the ONE mandatory clip/magazine terminology correction.
    Any other will be deleted as Off Topic to the subject of the thread.

With a properly functioning 1911 that has a properly functioning Thumb Safety (one that is not prone to snicking itself off) and it (of course) physically blocks the hammer. Also the grip safety physically blocks the trigger...a holster with a covered trigger guard area is far less important w/ a 1911 than it would be for a holstered Glock.

That would be because no branch or protruding nail or whatever is going to work its way into the trigger guard and simultaneously flick the thumb safety to "off safe" and then also depress the grip safety resulting in a N. discharge.

BTW it IS a documented fact the MAJORITY of negligent discharges related to "handguns and holsters" happen during re-holstering when the index finger is still inside the guard - and where leather or Kydex in the location of the trigger guard is what forces the trigger finger back to depress the trigger when the firearm is pushed down into the holster - resulting in the negligent discharge.

So a logically thinking person could make the valid argument that a holster with a covered trigger guard area causes more negligent discharges than it prevents with any Glock format type firearm.

Just something for you'all to ponder over.

Thank you indeed for the clip/magazine point. I am mortified. If I was a samurai, I would disembowel myself forthwith.

QKShooter, thanks for your comments, they were indeed helpful.

I would not use a clipdraw on any gun. That said, Ask a NY Giants football player what type of holster he DID NOT have when he shot himself in the leg. Any handgun needs to be in a good quality holster to be carried safely. I am 5'11", 175lbs and I can and do carry a 5", 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM II holster.
    As has been said before, they should be comforting not comfortable.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I agree with the others here. A holster that has good retention and covers the trigger is what you need to help prevent any ND's or AD's. Remember, safety starts and ends with you.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If I were to try a clip draw (thought about it over the years), I'd be MUCH more likely to try it on a 1911 than say a Glock, for exactly the reasons QKShooter states.

"Mexican carry" (not a very PC name for it, but seems to be the known term for it) is very appealing for it's simplicity and convenience. It is practiced widely by hoods and street thugs, and at least used to be by undercover LEO's running with these same crowds. I've even done it in the past (been carrying since the 80's). Of course, once you've had your pistol work it's way past the waistband, heading South, you tend to reach the conclusion it's not such a good idea.

I also once found the tucked in shirt under the waistband had managed to wrap itself around the trigger of a Glock. NOT a good thing! All it would have taken was a tug on the shirt in the right place...

But the above is not an issue with the 1911. And the clip draw gives essentially the appeal of "Mexican carry", while preventing the weapon from sliding down your pants.

While I am loathe to hang the monstrosity on the side of my 1911's, and am VERY happy IWB with my VM2's, I do find the idea intriguing still.

Why not give it a try (for at least a few weeks unless it totally sucks), and come back and give us a write up on it?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
    I would not use a clipdraw on any gun. That said, Ask a NY Giants football player what type of holster he DID NOT have when he shot himself in the leg. Any handgun needs to be in a good quality holster to be carried safely. I am 5'11", 175lbs and I can and do carry a 5", 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM II holster.
    As has been said before, they should be comforting not comfortable.
    Yeah, a Glock, no less. That WAS brilliant on his part...I bought a Galco Summer Comfort for the 1911, and the grip protruded too much at 4 O'clock, and the barrel was too long for sitting with Appendix carry. I suspect there is not enough distance between the loops to sufficiently support the weight of the weapon and hold it in tight. I need to rub together a few more nickels, I guess. If you can conceal it at your size, I have no excuses. Is it a seven or eight round MAG?

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Why not give it a try (for at least a few weeks unless it totally sucks), and come back and give us a write up on it?
    What the hey...$19 bucks...maybe I will. It IS a bolt-on monstrosity, though. Cool...I have an assignment!

I would not, not safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links