Review....Side Guard Holster - The Slide

This is a discussion on Review....Side Guard Holster - The Slide within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my full size 1911 holster a little over 2 weeks ago and thought about posting a review then, but decided to wear it ...

Thread: Review....Side Guard Holster - The Slide

Review....Side Guard Holster - The Slide

I received my full size 1911 holster a little over 2 weeks ago and thought about posting a review then, but decided to wear it for a couple weeks to give it a fair review.

I thought about ordering a holster from one of the high end makers out there but I just can't wait a year for a holster. I'm sure they are pretty but I'm rough with everything I own. If a watch last me 2 years I'm lucky. I couldn't see paying all that money and waiting all that time just to destroy a work of art. So after some searching around I decided to give Erik at Side Guard Holsters a try. His prices seemed extremely reasonable, I figured for $50 even if it was a turd I wouldn't be out much. To be honest, for $50 I had very low expectations and was set to be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised.

The week I ordered my holster from his website I caught him on vacation. He was kind enough to e-mail me to let me know that he had my holster in stock and would send it out as soon as he got back home. The holster was at my door when he said it would be there.

The holster is very well made for the price. Erik used good thick leather which makes it very stiff and supports the weight of a stainless 1911 well. I can't complain about the dye job or finish. The edges were sealed and buffed and the overall appearance is good. The boning work is acceptable, it was boned around the areas it needed to be for gun retention, nothing fancy just serviceable (which is what I was looking for).

When I first got the thing I tried to holster my gun, it was a little snug! Me, being the idiot I am, kind of forced the gun in there. It finally went in but now I had another problem, I couldn't get it out! The thing had a death grip on my gun and wouldn't let go. It took the wife and I both to get it out. So the first couple days I spent loosening the thing up a little with plastic bags. After 2 weeks of wearing it, it is now a perfect fit.

The holster conceals very well. It pulls the gun in nice and close to the body and is very comfortable to wear all day. The people that know I carry have a hard time believing I'm carrying a full size 1911.

Let's be honest here, this holster is not a Delfatti or Alessi. If you are looking for a "pretty" holster that is a work of art then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a holster that is good looking, rugged, and gets the job done for a good price with a short wait time then consider Side Guard Holster. I think the best way to sum it up would be with a question. Would I buy another holster from Erik? Hell yes! After the holidays I will be ordering 2 more from him (I wish I could ask the government for a bail out!).

Now for some pics. Sorry for the bad quality, I never claimed to be a photographer and I have a crappy camera. Also any scratches or marks you see have been put there by me in the 2 weeks I've been using it. When I got it from Erik it was brand new and I've been doing my best to change that.
    Attached Images
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Very good review of Sideguard Holsters. As you've discovered, Eric builds a nice holster at a reasonable cost. He's also a gentleman who has freely shared his holster expertise with me.

Randy
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyc74 View Post
    Very good review of Sideguard Holsters. As you've discovered, Eric builds a nice holster at a reasonable cost. He's also a gentleman who has freely shared his holster expertise with me.

Randy
    Coming from another leather guy... That is a glowing endorsement.

Im still on the fence between Eric and 2 other companies. From looking at his site several times and seeing the pics of his work you can tell he does good work.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

turn-around time?

I have been thinking of getting this holster. How long between your order and receiving it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I have been thinking of getting this holster. How long between your order and receiving it?
    He had mine in stock. He shipped it out as soon as he got home from vacation. It was about 1 1/2 weeks. E-mail him, I think he said his backlog was about 3 weeks.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Good review.

Thanks for that review, I need two new holsters. A S&W 317 is coming my way for X-Mass. The wife wants to try the high slide for her M&P 9c.
    spooter, I think you helped me make the move, thanks!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by randyc74 View Post

Randy
    Thank you Randy.

My lead time is 5-6 weeks but I do have inventory so it could take 1 week depending on if it is stock. Been going to some MN gun shows which have been nutty and doing double the gun show business compared to 2 months ago (before the election). All those new gun owners need some leather

JAT40
    I do have a bunch of J-frame holsters in stock but High Slides will take 6 weeks.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Anything for a P11 in stock? Did you get my last email about the strap for IWB?

Heck Ill just call ya sometime this week.

Links